Compaq Tablet PC - I'd like to install XP pro + tablet utilitiesw/o Compaq software.

Oscar Gonzalez

Hello and TIA to anyone that can help me with this.

I'm rebuilding a Tablet PC that I have, and I've rebuilt it a few times
already using the Compaq restore cds that come with it. HOwever I would
like to install Windows XP pro (without using Compaq's cds) and then add
any components required to use the tablet pc capabilities (handwriting,
auto portrait/landsape selection, etc etc.)

The problem is that I don't want any of the extra stuff that Compaq adds
to the installation.

I've googled a little bit and searched through this ng and I can't find
a lot of references to this situation.

Any help with references, advice, cons to doing this etc is appreciated.

tia

----------------------------
Oscar Gonzalez
(E-Mail Removed)
www.rageconsulting.com

Chris H.

When you figure out what it is, you can (for the most part) uninstall from
Add or Remove Programs. Otherwise, you're mostly stuck with however the OEM
sets up their restore CD.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Oscar Gonzalez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c12uud$1coq5b$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hello and TIA to anyone that can help me with this.
>
> I'm rebuilding a Tablet PC that I have, and I've rebuilt it a few times
> already using the Compaq restore cds that come with it. HOwever I would
> like to install Windows XP pro (without using Compaq's cds) and then add
> any components required to use the tablet pc capabilities (handwriting,
> auto portrait/landsape selection, etc etc.)
>
> The problem is that I don't want any of the extra stuff that Compaq adds
> to the installation.
>
> I've googled a little bit and searched through this ng and I can't find
> a lot of references to this situation.
>
> Any help with references, advice, cons to doing this etc is appreciated.
>
> tia
>
> ----------------------------
> Oscar Gonzalez
> (E-Mail Removed)
> www.rageconsulting.com

Oscar Gonzalez

When I figure out what "what it is"? I'm not sure I follow.

Basically I need to know how to add functionality for the tablet pc
without using Compaq's restore cd. Instead I'll use Windows XP pro.

Unfortunately it is not easy to remove the programs I don't want because
compaq integrates them into the components of windows... and changes
graphics and stuff like that.

----------------------------
Oscar Gonzalez
(E-Mail Removed)
www.rageconsulting.com

Chris H. wrote:
> When you figure out what it is, you can (for the most part) uninstall from
> Add or Remove Programs. Otherwise, you're mostly stuck with however the OEM
> sets up their restore CD.

Chris H.

The "what it is" is what you're trying to uninstall/not install from Compaq.
Since you have their OEM CDs, you're dealing with that specific setup.
There is no other way except to use the software with your Compaq, short of
having an MSDN subscription (expensive) for developmental purposes only.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Oscar Gonzalez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c132gd$1e04hh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> When I figure out what "what it is"? I'm not sure I follow.
>
> Basically I need to know how to add functionality for the tablet pc
> without using Compaq's restore cd. Instead I'll use Windows XP pro.
>
> Unfortunately it is not easy to remove the programs I don't want because
> compaq integrates them into the components of windows... and changes
> graphics and stuff like that.
>

> ----------------------------
> Oscar Gonzalez
> (E-Mail Removed)
> www.rageconsulting.com
>

> Chris H. wrote:
> > When you figure out what it is, you can (for the most part) uninstall

from
> > Add or Remove Programs. Otherwise, you're mostly stuck with however the

OEM
> > sets up their restore CD.

terri

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition isn't available as a standalone and there isn't
a way to add the Tablet PC functionality on top of XP for production use.

As Chris said, you'll need to use the Compaq restore, then remove the
programs that you don't want.

--
Terri Stratton
Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC

"Oscar Gonzalez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c132gd$1e04hh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> When I figure out what "what it is"? I'm not sure I follow.
>
> Basically I need to know how to add functionality for the tablet pc
> without using Compaq's restore cd. Instead I'll use Windows XP pro.
>
> Unfortunately it is not easy to remove the programs I don't want because
> compaq integrates them into the components of windows... and changes
> graphics and stuff like that.
>

> ----------------------------
> Oscar Gonzalez
> (E-Mail Removed)
> www.rageconsulting.com
>

> Chris H. wrote:
> > When you figure out what it is, you can (for the most part) uninstall

from
> > Add or Remove Programs. Otherwise, you're mostly stuck with however the

OEM
> > sets up their restore CD.

Oscar Gonzalez

Thanks to all of you for your help I guess I'll stick to the OEM cds for
now. I actually do have an MSDN subscritption so I'll look into my
options with that.

Thanks to all again.
----------------------------
Oscar Gonzalez
(E-Mail Removed)
www.rageconsulting.com

terri wrote:
> Windows XP Tablet PC Edition isn't available as a standalone and there isn't
> a way to add the Tablet PC functionality on top of XP for production use.
>
> As Chris said, you'll need to use the Compaq restore, then remove the
> programs that you don't want.
>
> --
> Terri Stratton
> Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC
> http://thetabletpc.net
> Expert Zone - http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/default.asp
>

> "Oscar Gonzalez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c132gd$1e04hh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>>When I figure out what "what it is"? I'm not sure I follow.
>>
>>Basically I need to know how to add functionality for the tablet pc
>>without using Compaq's restore cd. Instead I'll use Windows XP pro.
>>
>>Unfortunately it is not easy to remove the programs I don't want because
>> compaq integrates them into the components of windows... and changes
>>graphics and stuff like that.
>>

>>----------------------------
>>Oscar Gonzalez
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>www.rageconsulting.com
>>

>>Chris H. wrote:
>>
>>>When you figure out what it is, you can (for the most part) uninstall

> from
>
>>>Add or Remove Programs. Otherwise, you're mostly stuck with however the

> OEM
>
>>>sets up their restore CD.

PierreBe

Did this before; format the drive and install XP Pro on a
Dell which also came with oem install.
I don't see a problem to install?

Chris H.

Not the same on a Tablet PC. You're dealing with very specific hardware
which needs the proper setup from the OEM.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

news:12c3201c3f777$9a95bfe0$(E-Mail Removed)...