Is CompUSA in Madison, WI stll open?

AKT

I'll explain the circumstances below but to summarize this request, I'd
appreciate help of anyone near Madison, WI in determining if the
CompUSA store at 213 Junction Road (just off Hwy 12/14) is still open?
Here is the Google map of the location:

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=&ttype=&q=213
+junction+road+madison+wi&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.999041,65.21484
4&ie=UTF8&ll=43.062986,-89.527165&spn=0.063084,0.127373&z=13&om=1>

Now the circumstances. A few weeks ago CompUSA had advertised certain
Mac computers which for were for store sales only. The nearest near me
was in Madison (still 2.5 hours). I called and they said they had 2
left and I decided to go and buy. When I got there, they couldn't find
the machines (turns out they were being "refurbished"). The manager
offered some extra incentive and said he'd ship it to me as soon as
ready--- so I paid for it. Two weeks later, no computer and I read that
CompUSA is going to close all stores soon! The manager has not
responded to my emails and nobody is picking up the phone at the store.

So, if you are in/near Madison and can help me figure out if the store
is still open, that would be helpful.

Michelle Steiner

In article <111220071116338122%(E-Mail Removed)>, AKT <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I'll explain the circumstances below but to summarize this request,
> I'd appreciate help of anyone near Madison, WI in determining if the
> CompUSA store at 213 Junction Road (just off Hwy 12/14) is still
> open?

CompUSA has gone out of business. They're kaput.

(Reply truncated to five newsgroups; the limit imposed by my news
provider.)

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you paid for it with a credit card, contact the company and do a
> chargeback ASAP. It takes some companies 60 days to process these
> things, so you better start NOW.

If by "the company", you mean CompUSA, he should contact the credit card
company. I've found that they will suspend payment and charge back
immediately, but if they find that the charge is legitimate, they'll
reverse that and charge you again.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Michelle
Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> CompUSA has gone out of business. They're kaput.

not yet they haven't.

the story i read was that they'll close 'after the holidays' with sales
beginning during the holiday season.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Arny Krueger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You mean they closed like 128 stores.
>
> There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
>
> Or did something more happen just lately?

the rest of the stores will be closing in a month or two, and at that
point, compusa will be history.

George M. Middius

The Big **** demonstrates his great acumen in the kompyootur business.

> > CompUSA has gone out of business. They're kaput.

> Really?
> You mean they closed like 128 stores.
> There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
> Or did something more happen just lately?

Looks like "Google lied" to you again, Turdy. Your handicaps are
overwhelming.

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Arny Krueger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
>
> Or did something more happen just lately?

My error; the remaining 103 stores will stay open through the holiday
season, and then close.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

AKT

Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you paid for it with a credit card, contact the company and do a
> chargeback ASAP. It takes some companies 60 days to process these
> things, so you better start NOW.
>
> If you paid for it with a check or cash, you're screwed.

Thanks. Fortunately I did pay with credit card -- no great foresight on
my part, just habit .

Anyway, my thought is, I have no reason to assume they were trying to
scam me; phones not being answered could just be the environment of
store closing soon and busy liquidation sales. So, if the store is open
and I can pick up my computer, I'll just go get it. (Obviously no more
waiting for them to ship!). Maybe, I'll give it one day to figure this
out. Otherwise I'll call the bank tomorrow to cancel the charge.

Madwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Arny Krueger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
> >
> > Or did something more happen just lately?

> My error; the remaining 103 stores will stay open through the holiday
> season, and then close.

I heard that it's one of those Icahnesque kind of things... that they
were bought out by one of those "investment" companies.

Gerry

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)5.spcsdns.net>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <111220071014571122%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Arny Krueger
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > You mean they closed like 128 stores.
> > >
> > > There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
> > >
> > > Or did something more happen just lately?

> > the rest of the stores will be closing in a month or two, and at that
> > point, compusa will be history.

> ...and I'll break out some champagne...

Actually hold the champagne or beverage of choice. See the top news
article at the CompUSA web site:

<http://www.compusa.com/about/news.asp>

Selected stores and the CompUSA TechPro and internet operations may
continue well after a month or two.