CompUSA settles rebate complaint

Matt

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7160072

CompUSA settles rebate complaint

Government charged retailer of deceiving customers
The Associated Press
Updated: 4:05 p.m. ET March 11, 2005

WASHINGTON - The nationís leading computer retailer, CompUSA Inc., has
agreed to settle a government complaint charging the company with
deceiving consumers who bought computer products but failed to receive
promised cash rebates from $15 to $100 each, the Federal Trade
Commission said Friday.

no.spam@junk.mail.net

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:06:55 GMT, Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7160072
>
>CompUSA settles rebate complaint
>
>Government charged retailer of deceiving customers
>The Associated Press
>Updated: 4:05 p.m. ET March 11, 2005
>
>WASHINGTON - The nationís leading computer retailer, CompUSA Inc., has
>agreed to settle a government complaint charging the company with
>deceiving consumers who bought computer products but failed to receive
>promised cash rebates from $15 to $100 each, the Federal Trade
>Commission said Friday.

GREAT_ about time we started holding SOMEone responsible for these scams!!!

Copy of a letter to another Soyo supplier:

I am not particularly interested in a conversation about this. My personal
feeling is that it is well past time to put a stop to these rebate scams. Soyo's
debacle is simply one of the larger ones but there are many more.
*
I am NOT looking to Nexxxg for compensation or satisfaction on this issue. I DO
however hold Nexxxg responsible in part because as a retailer you agree to
participate in these scams by offering and advertising them to your customers. I
just wanted the good folks at Nexxxg to know that as one of your customers I do
not appreciate you advertising for thieves. It is false advertising. Once a
manufacturer demonstrates a pattern of ripping people off I believe it is
irresponsible for you as a retailer to continue to advertise for that
manufacturer.
*
So here's the deal. I'll come back as a customer when you stop offering products
with rebates. Particularly rebates from proven scam artists like the*one Soyo
hired.*The entire rebate industry is nothing but a consumer rip off. It's not
just Soyo_ It's the whole rebate industry. They have proven themselves time and
time again to be absolutely criminal in their dealings with the public. Enough
is enough.
*
Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXX