Computer bootup problems

nick@invalid.com

Hi,

There was some loud fan noise, so I sprayed canned air thoroughly
throughout the computer case, now the computer is not starting
properly. It lights up when pushing the power button, but the monitor
displays "no signal". I remove and replace the ram, then it will boot
up. When the power is turned off, then on again, the monitor
displays "no signal" again, and removing the RAM allows a boot up.
What seems to be the cpu heatsink fan noisily vibrating, may be the
power supply unit. Because, when the fan is momentarily stopped an
alternating sounding buzzing continues (although, the it tapers away).
I appreciate any thoughts as to what may be the problem. Thank you.

Nick

CJT

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There was some loud fan noise, so I sprayed canned air thoroughly
> throughout the computer case, now the computer is not starting
> properly. It lights up when pushing the power button, but the monitor
> displays "no signal". I remove and replace the ram, then it will boot
> up. When the power is turned off, then on again, the monitor
> displays "no signal" again, and removing the RAM allows a boot up.
> What seems to be the cpu heatsink fan noisily vibrating, may be the
> power supply unit. Because, when the fan is momentarily stopped an
> alternating sounding buzzing continues (although, the it tapers away).
> I appreciate any thoughts as to what may be the problem. Thank you.
>
> Nick

Your canned air has perhaps:

blown something conductive where it shouldn't be (e.g. a bit of solder
on to the memory connector or memory itself)

blown some dust where it is causing something (e.g. a fan) to draw
more current, overloading the power supply, which was on the brink
of being overloaded anyway (removing the memory causes the machine
as a whole to use less power)

blown a decoupling capacitor or other component in such a way that it
isn't functioning any longer (perhaps because it's no longer connected,
or the opposite -- shorted), degrading the power to part of the
motherboard enough to keep the machine from booting when the memory
is installed

something else :-)

I'd probably blow some more and see if you can reverse the damage.
Also make a careful visual inspection, looking for broken traces,
fans that don't turn, leaking capacitors, dust-bunnies, etc.

It might be cheap to get a new power supply and try that.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

Michael Hawes

"CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Hi, There was some loud fan noise, so I sprayed canned air thoroughly
>> throughout the computer case, now the computer is not starting
>> properly. It lights up when pushing the power button, but the monitor
>> displays "no signal". I remove and replace the ram, then it will boot
>> up. When the power is turned off, then on again, the monitor
>> displays "no signal" again, and removing the RAM allows a boot up.
>> What seems to be the cpu heatsink fan noisily vibrating, may be the
>> power supply unit. Because, when the fan is momentarily stopped an
>> alternating sounding buzzing continues (although, the it tapers away).
>> I appreciate any thoughts as to what may be the problem. Thank you.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Your canned air has perhaps:
>
> blown something conductive where it shouldn't be (e.g. a bit of solder
> on to the memory connector or memory itself)
>
> blown some dust where it is causing something (e.g. a fan) to draw
> more current, overloading the power supply, which was on the brink
> of being overloaded anyway (removing the memory causes the machine
> as a whole to use less power)
>
> blown a decoupling capacitor or other component in such a way that it
> isn't functioning any longer (perhaps because it's no longer connected,
> or the opposite -- shorted), degrading the power to part of the
> motherboard enough to keep the machine from booting when the memory
> is installed
>
> something else :-)
>
> I'd probably blow some more and see if you can reverse the damage.
> Also make a careful visual inspection, looking for broken traces,
> fans that don't turn, leaking capacitors, dust-bunnies, etc.
>
> It might be cheap to get a new power supply and try that.
>
> --
> The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
> minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

May be PSU problem. Instead of reseating RAM, just disconnect mains lead
for 30sec. If it then starts, is PSU tripped out. Disconnecting mains resets
the trip. Since PSU is noisy, try a new one(or borrow one!).

Mike.