computer clock problem

The Buzz

Hi,
I'm experiencing a problem with my computer's clock (both in the bios and in
windows xp).
The clocks just stops when the laptop is completely diconnected from the
power (with no battery).
The clock starts running again from the point where it stopped after I plug
the laptop.
I think it started from the change from legal to solar time, but i'm not
sure about this.
The computer is a HP pavilion dv6000 laptop, with amd turion 64 x2
processor, bought in january 2007.
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks!

ps: i've updated the bios to the latest version released on the hp website,
but nothing changed.

Ben Myers

The symptoms sound mostly like a failed CMOS battery, the battery responsible
for keeping the CMOS settings and providing power to the clock. This is
different than the large brick-like battery used to power the laptop when it is
not getting wall power.

I do not know how easy it is to replace the CMOS battery in this model of
laptop. For some laptops, the CMOS battery is in a socket and easily replaced
once the computer is partially disassembled. For others, it is soldered, and
difficult to replace.

If your DV6000 is still under warranty, contact HP for warranty service.
Otherwise, see if you can find some service information, or have the repair
handled by a competent service person. Hint: The odds are almost nil that you
will find a service manual on the HP web site, unlike Dell and IBM/Lenovo
laptops. But some kind soul may know how to get you a service manual.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:04:14 +0100, "The Buzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm experiencing a problem with my computer's clock (both in the bios and in
>windows xp).
>The clocks just stops when the laptop is completely diconnected from the
>power (with no battery).
>The clock starts running again from the point where it stopped after I plug
>the laptop.
>I think it started from the change from legal to solar time, but i'm not
>sure about this.
>The computer is a HP pavilion dv6000 laptop, with amd turion 64 x2
>processor, bought in january 2007.
>Can anyone help me please?
>Thanks!
>
>ps: i've updated the bios to the latest version released on the hp website,
>but nothing changed.

The Buzz

Hi, the CMOS battery is quite easy to replace, i've opened socket (the same
for ram memory) to check in the connection and it seemed ok to me.
The computer is not old at all, could the battery be already dead?
The computer it is under warranty and it has already undergone several
repariments, i really don't feel like sending my laptop to the repair center
because i need it. I hope i can fix it here, maybe I'll call HP tomorrow,
but for my experiece they are not so efficient.

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The symptoms sound mostly like a failed CMOS battery, the battery
> responsible
> for keeping the CMOS settings and providing power to the clock. This is
> different than the large brick-like battery used to power the laptop when
> it is
> not getting wall power.
>
> I do not know how easy it is to replace the CMOS battery in this model of
> laptop. For some laptops, the CMOS battery is in a socket and easily
> replaced
> once the computer is partially disassembled. For others, it is soldered,
> and
> difficult to replace.
>
> If your DV6000 is still under warranty, contact HP for warranty service.
> Otherwise, see if you can find some service information, or have the
> repair
> handled by a competent service person. Hint: The odds are almost nil
> that you
> will find a service manual on the HP web site, unlike Dell and IBM/Lenovo
> laptops. But some kind soul may know how to get you a service manual.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:04:14 +0100, "The Buzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I'm experiencing a problem with my computer's clock (both in the bios and
>>in
>>windows xp).
>>The clocks just stops when the laptop is completely diconnected from the
>>power (with no battery).
>>The clock starts running again from the point where it stopped after I
>>plug
>>the laptop.
>>I think it started from the change from legal to solar time, but i'm not
>>sure about this.
>>The computer is a HP pavilion dv6000 laptop, with amd turion 64 x2
>>processor, bought in january 2007.
>>Can anyone help me please?
>>Thanks!
>>
>>ps: i've updated the bios to the latest version released on the hp
>>website,
>>but nothing changed.

Dick

Sure sounds like the CMOS battery to me. Just because the computer is
fairly new, doesn't mean it doesn't have a defective battery.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:42:15 +0100, "The Buzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, the CMOS battery is quite easy to replace, i've opened socket (the same
>for ram memory) to check in the connection and it seemed ok to me.
>The computer is not old at all, could the battery be already dead?
>The computer it is under warranty and it has already undergone several
>repariments, i really don't feel like sending my laptop to the repair center
>because i need it. I hope i can fix it here, maybe I'll call HP tomorrow,
>but for my experiece they are not so efficient.

Ben Myers

If a new CMOS battery does not fix the problem, get HP to service it. Remove
the hard drive first. HP is one company notorious for sending out replacement
computers, different from the one sent in under warranty and with a different
hard drive, of course... Ben Myers

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:42:15 +0100, "The Buzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, the CMOS battery is quite easy to replace, i've opened socket (the same
>for ram memory) to check in the connection and it seemed ok to me.
>The computer is not old at all, could the battery be already dead?
>The computer it is under warranty and it has already undergone several
>repariments, i really don't feel like sending my laptop to the repair center
>because i need it. I hope i can fix it here, maybe I'll call HP tomorrow,
>but for my experiece they are not so efficient.
>

>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> The symptoms sound mostly like a failed CMOS battery, the battery
>> responsible
>> for keeping the CMOS settings and providing power to the clock. This is
>> different than the large brick-like battery used to power the laptop when
>> it is
>> not getting wall power.
>>
>> I do not know how easy it is to replace the CMOS battery in this model of
>> laptop. For some laptops, the CMOS battery is in a socket and easily
>> replaced
>> once the computer is partially disassembled. For others, it is soldered,
>> and
>> difficult to replace.
>>
>> If your DV6000 is still under warranty, contact HP for warranty service.
>> Otherwise, see if you can find some service information, or have the
>> repair
>> handled by a competent service person. Hint: The odds are almost nil
>> that you
>> will find a service manual on the HP web site, unlike Dell and IBM/Lenovo
>> laptops. But some kind soul may know how to get you a service manual.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:04:14 +0100, "The Buzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I'm experiencing a problem with my computer's clock (both in the bios and
>>>in
>>>windows xp).
>>>The clocks just stops when the laptop is completely diconnected from the
>>>power (with no battery).
>>>The clock starts running again from the point where it stopped after I
>>>plug
>>>the laptop.
>>>I think it started from the change from legal to solar time, but i'm not
>>>sure about this.
>>>The computer is a HP pavilion dv6000 laptop, with amd turion 64 x2
>>>processor, bought in january 2007.
>>>Can anyone help me please?
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>ps: i've updated the bios to the latest version released on the hp
>>>website,
>>>but nothing changed.

Arthur

I've been having the same problem with the computer time, with two
computers , both HP pavilion dv6000s

As well, the keyboard has malfunctioned (the g, h, backspace,
apostrophe, escape, f4 keys are not working (i pasted those letters
from a document) and the webcam is faulty.

HP, this is ridiculous.

Ben, do you know that they actually replace your computer ? i wouldn't
mind, with all the problems... though i'd love to keep all my settings
and files... does that happen when you take out the hard drive before
sending it in?

Arthur

On Oct 30, 8:33 pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> If a new CMOS battery does not fix the problem, get HP to service it. Remove
> the hard drive first. HP is one company notorious for sending out replacement
> computers, different from the one sent in under warranty and with a different
> hard drive, of course... Ben Myers
>

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:42:15 +0100, "The Buzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi, the CMOS battery is quite easy to replace, i've opened socket (the same
> >for ram memory) to check in the connection and it seemed ok to me.
> >The computer is not old at all, could the battery be already dead?
> >The computer it is under warranty and it has already undergone several
> >repariments, i really don't feel like sending my laptop to the repair center
> >because i need it. I hope i can fix it here, maybe I'll call HP tomorrow,
> >but for my experiece they are not so efficient.

> >"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> The symptoms sound mostly like a failed CMOS battery, the battery
> >> responsible
> >> for keeping the CMOS settings and providing power to the clock. This is
> >> different than the large brick-like battery used to power the laptop when
> >> it is
> >> not getting wall power.

> >> I do not know how easy it is to replace the CMOS battery in this model of
> >> laptop. For some laptops, the CMOS battery is in a socket and easily
> >> replaced
> >> once the computer is partially disassembled. For others, it is soldered,
> >> and
> >> difficult to replace.

> >> If your DV6000 is still under warranty, contact HP for warranty service.
> >> Otherwise, see if you can find some service information, or have the
> >> repair
> >> handled by a competent service person. Hint: The odds are almost nil
> >> that you
> >> will find a service manual on the HP web site, unlike Dell and IBM/Lenovo
> >> laptops. But some kind soul may know how to get you a service manual.

> >> ... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

If you remove the hard drive from the system prior to sending it back for
warranty service, you can stick it back inside the same model of computer
returned to you repaired. The paperwork that comes with the Dell shipping box
explains how to remove the hard drive before returning the computer and advises
the owner to do so. I do not know HP's standard policy about hard drive
removal, but I strongly suggest negotiating the removal of the drive for
safekeeping before the computer disappears. The world is full of horror stories
about computers returned from warranty work with a fresh copy of Windows
whatever and all data and programs long gone. One of my ex-clients suffered
from the problem as a result of extremely expensive post-warranty service work
by Gateway, and took it out on me by nickle-and-dimeing me when it came time to
pay for my valuable time. And that is one example of why I have ex-clients,
too.

The computer you get back from warranty service is most often labeled
refurbished, and, to give quick turnaround on the "repair", is obviously
different from the original one sent in. That's the way it works most of the
time. Though marked refurbished, it may be a brand-new one, or maybe not.

... Ben Myers

Computer clock losing time Bob Asus 9 08-15-2005 11:59 PM
Core clock/memory clock vs engine/memory clock ftran999 ATI 2 08-06-2004 12:29 AM
X800XT PE, is RAMDAC clock speed the same as core clock speed? urh ATI 3 07-28-2004 02:09 AM
GA-7N400 MB Clock ratio and Clock Sw settings Lloyd Hanning Gigabyte 1 12-20-2003 12:49 PM
computer clock problem lucianosemey AOpen 0 12-11-2003 02:00 PM