Computer not accepting DVDs

macman

Hello,

I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
problem or is it a hardware issue?

Thanks,
Greg

Király

macman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
> put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
> minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
> problem or is it a hardware issue?

It's likely a hardware issue. Have you tried cleaning the lens?

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

paintedjazz@gmail.com

On Feb 28, 10:11*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Király) wrote:
> macman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
> > put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
> > minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
> > problem or is it a hardware issue?

> It's likely a hardware issue. *Have you tried cleaning the lens?

On a similar issue with an iMac G4, how does one clean the lens?
Thanks.

macman

On Feb 28, 7:12*pm, macman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
> put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
> minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
> problem or is it a hardware issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Hey all, thanks for the help! I ended up trying multiple things:
Put bad drive with known good ATA cable from computer and it didn't
work - got rid of suspicion of bad cable
Put known good drive and good ATA cable and the drive worked - got rid
of logic board issue suspicion

So now Apple will replace the drive, yay AppleCare!

Thanks again everyone!
- Greg

Király

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On a similar issue with an iMac G4, how does one clean the lens?
> Thanks.

Lens cleaning kit. $10 from your local radio shack. It's a CD with a
pair of brushes underneath.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.