computer will not start

James Walker

Hi guys,

I have a problem with a soltek sl-75dvr5 motherboard. It has a amd1800+ chip
and 512mb ddr333 ram

The problem is at start up. I have take everything out apart from the
graphics card, and when I turn on the cpu fan seems to rev like someone has
there foot on an accelerator. if I take the ram out it starts ok till post
checks the ram, it get the correct beeps code for no ram, and then the
revving starts. I first thought power supply, but with it starting correctly
till it looks for ram I am now stumped. I don't have a multi tester so have
no way of checking the power supply.

The problem started when the owner of the computer replace the heatsink.
Before that it was running ok.

Does anyone have any ideas

Thanks

James

Muhher Fuhher

Sounds like the sink was not seated properly. try removing and reseating.
put some heatsink paste on in between. good luck

"James Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:becorv$mre$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a problem with a soltek sl-75dvr5 motherboard. It has a amd1800+

chip
> and 512mb ddr333 ram
>
> The problem is at start up. I have take everything out apart from the
> graphics card, and when I turn on the cpu fan seems to rev like someone

has
> there foot on an accelerator. if I take the ram out it starts ok till post
> checks the ram, it get the correct beeps code for no ram, and then the
> revving starts. I first thought power supply, but with it starting

correctly
> till it looks for ram I am now stumped. I don't have a multi tester so

have
> no way of checking the power supply.
>
> The problem started when the owner of the computer replace the heatsink.
> Before that it was running ok.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas
>
> Thanks
>
> James

Robert Sligh

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:31:43 +0000 (UTC), "James Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I have a problem with a soltek sl-75dvr5 motherboard. It has a amd1800+ chip
>and 512mb ddr333 ram
>
>The problem is at start up. I have take everything out apart from the
>graphics card, and when I turn on the cpu fan seems to rev like someone has
>there foot on an accelerator. if I take the ram out it starts ok till post
>checks the ram, it get the correct beeps code for no ram, and then the
>revving starts. I first thought power supply, but with it starting correctly
>till it looks for ram I am now stumped. I don't have a multi tester so have
>no way of checking the power supply.
>
>The problem started when the owner of the computer replace the heatsink.
>Before that it was running ok.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas
>
>Thanks
>
>James

Heat Sink Fan is connected to proper pins on mother board
HS is properly seated
Replace HSF
Switch ram with another stick of ram

CoCo

hi

maybe faulty rpm signaling?!? (test with another fan on the present hs!)

coco