Computer about to be thrown out of the window

Trent SC

Bloody computers!

My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?

It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took the
opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card and
return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all went
pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a pair of
fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.

The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation of
SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took fine
once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to hang,
most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles view
format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I just
took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I lost it
completely.

This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor. There
are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and CPU are spinning
efficiently. I can only think that there must be something fundamental
going on in the motherboard or processor, but if anyone else has any
brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

Michael Mauel

Trent SC schrieb:
> Bloody computers!
>
> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?
>
> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took the
> opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card and
> return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
> spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all went
> pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a pair of
> fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
>
> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation of
> SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took fine
> once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to hang,
> most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles view
> format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I just
> took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I lost it
> completely.
>
> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
> drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
> which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor. There
> are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and CPU are spinning
> efficiently. I can only think that there must be something fundamental
> going on in the motherboard or processor, but if anyone else has any
> brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set
slower timings for the memory.
Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and
check if it can help you.

Trent SC

>> Bloody computers!
>>
>> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
>> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
>> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
>> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
>> information?
>>
>> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
>> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
>> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
>> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
>> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it
>> all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
>> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
>>
>> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
>> of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
>> fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
>> hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in
>> Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it
>> hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back
>> in before I lost it completely.
>>
>> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
>> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
>> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
>> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
>> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
>> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
>> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
>> them!

> You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set slower
> timings for the memory.
> Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and check
> if it can help you.

Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using the
on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are different
and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

Jan Alter

In agreeement with Michael do try different RAM, or try installation with
the old stick (128 ?) or just the new chip. The hang is probably from a bad
memory address in one of the chips.

--
Jan Alter
(E-Mail Removed)
"Michael Mauel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:420686ce$0$18560$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Trent SC schrieb:
>> Bloody computers!
>>
>> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
>> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
>> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
>> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
>> information?
>>
>> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
>> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
>> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
>> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
>> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it
>> all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
>> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
>>
>> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
>> of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
>> fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
>> hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in
>> Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it
>> hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back
>> in before I lost it completely.
>>
>> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
>> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
>> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
>> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
>> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
>> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
>> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
>> them!

> You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set slower
> timings for the memory.
> Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and check
> if it can help you.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
6 Feb 2005 21:13:26 -0000, "Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed
from behind the mulberry bush:

>>> Bloody computers!
>>>
>>> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
>>> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
>>> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
>>> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
>>> information?
>>>
>>> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
>>> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
>>> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
>>> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
>>> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it
>>> all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
>>> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
>>>
>>> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
>>> of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
>>> fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
>>> hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in
>>> Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it
>>> hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back
>>> in before I lost it completely.
>>>
>>> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
>>> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
>>> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
>>> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
>>> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
>>> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
>>> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
>>> them!

>> You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set slower
>> timings for the memory.
>> Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and check
>> if it can help you.

>Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using the
>on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are different
>and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
>before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

Try disabling the L2 cache in the BIOS, also. I've seen that go bad
before.

---
"I think you need to get bent, asshole. Bend over and let me shove a
vibrating dildo up your ass and give you a blow job. You need to learn
how to shut up, assballs"

Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>

Duane Arnold

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

> If you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant, what do you
> do?

Trent SC

>>> Bloody computers!
>>>
>>> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
>>> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
>>> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular
>>> v 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
>>> information?
>>>
>>> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
>>> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
>>> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
>>> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
>>> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case
>>> it all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
>>> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
>>>
>>> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the
>>> installation of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and
>>> while SP2 took fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine,
>>> it's continued to hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing
>>> over an icon in Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go
>>> online before it hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved
>>> the old one back in before I lost it completely.
>>>
>>> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
>>> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
>>> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
>>> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
>>> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
>>> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
>>> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
>>> them!

>> You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set
>> slower timings for the memory.
>> Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and
>> check if it can help you.

> In agreeement with Michael do try different RAM, or try installation with
> the old stick (128 ?) or just the new chip. The hang is probably from a
> bad memory address in one of the chips.

I'll give it a go, although the problem was occurring with the old memory,
and that's now in a drawer - the computer has a new 256 and 128 stick, so
we're talking about completely different memory.

Thanks also to the other post - how do I disable L2 cache, please?

TIA

Mxsmanic

Trent SC writes:

> Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using the
> on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are different
> and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
> before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

You can probably safely exclude everything that has changed: graphics
card, disk, RAM, OS and applications. So ... what has _not_ changed?
The source of the problem must reside in some part of the system that
has not changed. Motherboard, network card, other PCI or similar
extension cards, BIOS settings, etc. It's probably something that is
not continuously used, since the machine hangs almost at random.
Something that hasn't changed has a problem and hangs the machine when
it is used. I'd say extension cards should be looked at first, hardware
and software. With those ruled out, there's not much else left besides
tne motherboard, and the processor itself.

philo

"Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bloody computers!
>
> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?
>
> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card
> and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
> spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all
> went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a
> pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
>
> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
> of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
> fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
> hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles
> view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I
> just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I
> lost it completely.
>
> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
> drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
> which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor.

try underclocking the machine slightly
i'd also use the original (or another video card) rather than on-board

Trent SC

>> Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using
>> the
>> on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are
>> different
>> and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
>> before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

> You can probably safely exclude everything that has changed: graphics
> card, disk, RAM, OS and applications. So ... what has _not_ changed?
> The source of the problem must reside in some part of the system that
> has not changed. Motherboard, network card, other PCI or similar
> extension cards, BIOS settings, etc. It's probably something that is
> not continuously used, since the machine hangs almost at random.
> Something that hasn't changed has a problem and hangs the machine when
> it is used. I'd say extension cards should be looked at first, hardware
> and software. With those ruled out, there's not much else left besides
> tne motherboard, and the processor itself.

There's only an HSP56 modem on the machine (no NIC) and the machine has
frozen with that both enabled and disabled in the BIOS. So it MUST be
either PSU, CPU or motherboard.

Thousands of terabytes of RAM thrown out by Mac users! Jason Robert Apple 0 07-25-2011 09:59 PM
Solaris 8 install on Primepower 450, - Invocation TargetException thrown in method initProfile Claus Holmelin H°yer Sun Hardware 0 12-12-2006 02:10 PM
Money thrown :) Martin Francis Nvidia 3 05-19-2005 12:04 AM
login window empty after initial login window hang ronald.rood@gmail.com Apple 7 02-25-2005 03:09 PM
Sapphire 9800pro Active window erases Inactive window mudz ATI 0 06-01-2004 01:34 PM