computer won't start!

jaycow@gmail.com

hello! i am new to google groups and i hope that someone can help me
out here. i recently purchased a new processor from Newegg. It's the
amd 64 x2 4400 toledo. i was hoping that i could just replace it with
my older processor, an amd 64 3200 venice (which is currently oc'd
from 2.0ghz to 2.3ghz). After replacing the processor, the computer
would power on for a split second and then die. i reset the cmos and
tried it again but to no avail. I thought i blew something out so i
put the old proc back in and here i am now typing up this issue. the
specs of my computer are
MSI K8N nForce4 mobo
2x 512mb corsair ram
geforce 6600 GT
Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Orion 420W PSU
2 harddrives
Could it be that the processor is DOA? Any help is appreciated!

Carl

Have you got the most recent bios for that board, so that it can support a
dual core chip?

Dylan C

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hello! i am new to google groups and i hope that someone can help me
> out here. i recently purchased a new processor from Newegg. It's the
> amd 64 x2 4400 toledo. i was hoping that i could just replace it with
> my older processor, an amd 64 3200 venice (which is currently oc'd
> from 2.0ghz to 2.3ghz). After replacing the processor, the computer
> would power on for a split second and then die. i reset the cmos and
> tried it again but to no avail. I thought i blew something out so i
> put the old proc back in and here i am now typing up this issue. the
> specs of my computer are
> MSI K8N nForce4 mobo
> 2x 512mb corsair ram
> geforce 6600 GT
> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> Orion 420W PSU
> 2 harddrives
> Could it be that the processor is DOA? Any help is appreciated!

Even if you get the machine to power up, windows might have issues with
just "dropping in" a dual core cpu. You might have to do an
installation repair to get windows to install the SMP kernel.

-Dylan C

milsabords

Dylan C wrote:
> Even if you get the machine to power up, windows might have issues
> with just "dropping in" a dual core cpu. You might have to do an
> installation repair to get windows to install the SMP kernel.
>
> -Dylan C

I replaced a 3000+ XP 64 by a 4800+ X2, after upgrading the BIOS, and Win XP
loaded the multiprocessor HAL without reinstallation.

--
email: http://viadresse.com/?15121940

Eric Parker

Remove the dross to contact me directly
"milsabords" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45eb4ba8$0$15158$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dylan C wrote:
>> Even if you get the machine to power up, windows might have issues
>> with just "dropping in" a dual core cpu. You might have to do an
>> installation repair to get windows to install the SMP kernel.
>>
>> -Dylan C

> I replaced a 3000+ XP 64 by a 4800+ X2, after upgrading the BIOS,
> and Win XP loaded the multiprocessor HAL without reinstallation.

Yep I've just done the same 4 hours ago.
I'm typing now using it.
Didn't help my typing none though.

Eric

--

On Mar 4, 12:18 am, "Carl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Have you got the most recent bios for that board, so that it can support a
> dual core chip?

I will try to check my BIOS to see if that's the problem. I'm thinking
that maybe I'm not getting enough wattage because I have a generic $10
PSU.

Amir Facade

You should have at least a $20 generic PSU for a Dual core Processor.

Amir

PS: I use the $25 ones myself.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...