Confused Power Supplies

The Doctor

Due to mixing up power supplies, I don't know which one belongs to my ext
hdd & ext dvd drive. They both have identical power sockets.

One power supply output is 12v 3A, the other is 12v 2A. If I get it wrong &
connect the 3A supply to the 2A device, & 2A supply to the 3A device, what
will happen?

Mike Walsh

If you connect the 2A power supply to the 3A device it probably won't supply enough current to run the motor, and the power supply might heat up quickly. If you connect the 3A power supply to the 2A device it will work but the voltage might be slightly higher than normal because of the typical poor voltage regulation of power supplies. In either case there should be no damage to the devices.

--
Mike Walsh