connect desktop hard drive to laptop ??

Anirudh Saria

Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a laptop
?
If yes, how can we do it?

Thanks,
Anirudh

mike

Anirudh Saria wrote:
> Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a laptop
> ?
> If yes, how can we do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Anirudh

They have the same pinout except for the smaller physical size
of the connector and the power going thru the cable.
You'd need an adapter cable and a power supply for the disk.

I'd STRONGLY recommend AGAINST trying this. External USB drive is much
safer and more useful.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

Phil

The most practical way is using a Local Area Network to connect the
computers.

Phil

mike wrote:

> Anirudh Saria wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a
>> laptop
>> ?
>> If yes, how can we do it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anirudh
>>

> They have the same pinout except for the smaller physical size
> of the connector and the power going thru the cable.
> You'd need an adapter cable and a power supply for the disk.
>
> I'd STRONGLY recommend AGAINST trying this. External USB drive is much
> safer and more useful.
> mike

Michael J. Apollyon

> Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop
> hard drive to a laptop
> ?
> If yes, how can we do it?

Yes. External enclosure. Firewire or hi-speed USB will give
the best performance and compatibility with current OS's if
your laptop supports them. Otherwise, there were some PCMCIA
and parallel port solutions made over the years.

Here's a USB 2.0 unit from newegg.com -
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-030&depa=1

Best of luck,

TV Slug

Anirudh Saria wrote:
> Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a
> laptop ?
> If yes, how can we do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Anirudh

There are many places you can get an external case with interface. You drop
the hard drive into it and connect it to the USB / Firewire / PCMCIA /
Parallel(ugh) port.

Check out http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAS and look at the
drive cases for a place to start.

Barry Watzman

Directly, as an IDE drive, it's theoretically possible but no one makes
(as far as I know) the adapters that would be necessary. They could be
custom-made but it would be a lot of trouble, the connectors and cables
necessary are both relatively hard to find, and it would take an hour or
two to hand-make the necessary adapter. You would have to power the
drive externally, with a power supply grounded to the laptop. A real
pain, but it could be done.

Indirectly, you can network a desktop containing the drive in question
to a laptop and have full access to the drive from the laptop.

You could also use an external USB, PC Card or Firewire drive case to
accomplish more-or-less the same objective as in the previous paragraph
with a network. On some laptops, such a configuration might even be
bootable.

Anirudh Saria wrote:

> Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a laptop
> ?
> If yes, how can we do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Anirudh

Jef Norton

Hi Barry -

Already been done. Retails for about US$7.00.

Micro Connectors L02-220 2.5" TO 3.5" Hard Drive Converter/Adapter:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/2066996#detailed

Basically it's a 44-pin 2.5" drive adaptor to a 40-pin IDE cable connector
with an attached molex power supply connector - makes loading operating
system install files onto laptops without an optical drive easy.

Jef

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Directly, as an IDE drive, it's theoretically possible but no one makes
| (as far as I know) the adapters that would be necessary. They could be
| custom-made but it would be a lot of trouble, the connectors and cables
| necessary are both relatively hard to find, and it would take an hour or
| two to hand-make the necessary adapter. You would have to power the
| drive externally, with a power supply grounded to the laptop. A real
| pain, but it could be done.
|
| Indirectly, you can network a desktop containing the drive in question
| to a laptop and have full access to the drive from the laptop.
|
| You could also use an external USB, PC Card or Firewire drive case to
| accomplish more-or-less the same objective as in the previous paragraph
| with a network. On some laptops, such a configuration might even be
| bootable.
|

| Anirudh Saria wrote:
|
| > Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a
laptop
| > ?
| > If yes, how can we do it?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Anirudh

Jef Norton

Neverrmind.... I should read the subject before I respond (teaches me not to
hide posts I've already read).

I was thinking laptop hard drive to desktop computer. I'll take my beating
now...

Jef

Barry Watzman

I think that he want to go the OTHER WAY; to connect the big drive to
the laptop, not to connect the small drive to the desktop.

Jef Norton wrote:

> Hi Barry -
>
> Already been done. Retails for about US$7.00.
>
> Micro Connectors L02-220 2.5" TO 3.5" Hard Drive Converter/Adapter:
> http://shop4.outpost.com/product/2066996#detailed
>
> Basically it's a 44-pin 2.5" drive adaptor to a 40-pin IDE cable connector
> with an attached molex power supply connector - makes loading operating
> system install files onto laptops without an optical drive easy.
>
> Jef
>

> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Directly, as an IDE drive, it's theoretically possible but no one makes
> | (as far as I know) the adapters that would be necessary. They could be
> | custom-made but it would be a lot of trouble, the connectors and cables
> | necessary are both relatively hard to find, and it would take an hour or
> | two to hand-make the necessary adapter. You would have to power the
> | drive externally, with a power supply grounded to the laptop. A real
> | pain, but it could be done.
> |
> | Indirectly, you can network a desktop containing the drive in question
> | to a laptop and have full access to the drive from the laptop.
> |
> | You could also use an external USB, PC Card or Firewire drive case to
> | accomplish more-or-less the same objective as in the previous paragraph
> | with a network. On some laptops, such a configuration might even be
> | bootable.
> |

> | Anirudh Saria wrote:
> |
> | > Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a
> laptop
> | > ?
> | > If yes, how can we do it?
> | >
> | > Thanks,
> | > Anirudh

Jef Norton

Hi Barry -

I don't know if my response to myself synced to your news service.... but,
yeah, I figured that out after going back and re-reading the subject line.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to hide already read messages...

Jef

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I think that he want to go the OTHER WAY; to connect the big drive to
| the laptop, not to connect the small drive to the desktop.
|

| Jef Norton wrote:
|
| > Hi Barry -
| >
| > Already been done. Retails for about US$7.00.
| >
| > Micro Connectors L02-220 2.5" TO 3.5" Hard Drive Converter/Adapter:
| > http://shop4.outpost.com/product/2066996#detailed
| >
| > Basically it's a 44-pin 2.5" drive adaptor to a 40-pin IDE cable
connector
| > with an attached molex power supply connector - makes loading operating
| > system install files onto laptops without an optical drive easy.
| >
| > Jef
| >

| > "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Directly, as an IDE drive, it's theoretically possible but no one
makes
| > | (as far as I know) the adapters that would be necessary. They could
be
| > | custom-made but it would be a lot of trouble, the connectors and
cables
| > | necessary are both relatively hard to find, and it would take an hour
or
| > | two to hand-make the necessary adapter. You would have to power the
| > | drive externally, with a power supply grounded to the laptop. A real
| > | pain, but it could be done.
| > |
| > | Indirectly, you can network a desktop containing the drive in question
| > | to a laptop and have full access to the drive from the laptop.
| > |
| > | You could also use an external USB, PC Card or Firewire drive case to
| > | accomplish more-or-less the same objective as in the previous
paragraph
| > | with a network. On some laptops, such a configuration might even be
| > | bootable.
| > |
| > |
| > | Anirudh Saria wrote: