Continuing problems K7VTA3 v6

Anonymous

I continue to have weird problems that seem to indicate that this board
is not reliable. Hoping someone can give me pointers.

I had a Thunderbird 1.333 MHz processor in this rig for years with no
problems or stability issues.

Now I have replaced it with a Barton 2800+. I run into problems running
Prime95. The longest I have been able to stress test is right around 8
hours then I get a bunch of SUMOUT errors and it quits.

So, I thought it might be the memory. I ran memtest over night with no
problems for the memory.

So, then I run PCMark04 a bunch of times, no problems.

So, then I run CPUBurn. No problems.

So, in summary, it seems that when I test memory itself, no problems.
When I test the CPU, seems no problems. However, when I use the blend
test of Prime95, I eventually get SUMOUT errors. Anywhere from 1 to 8
hours after the test begins.

I notice while monitoring everything with Motherboard Monitor, I see
some of the voltages all over the place. The worst offender is the +12
monitor. It goes from +6 to up around +11. I read on the net that
there is apparently a sensor problem with these boards, but I would like
to know for sure. Vcore seems pretty steady at 1.62 to 1.63.

I also tried a different power supply, thinking this one might be flaky,
but I get the same behavior.

In summary, it seems like the board might be the problem in this
configuration. Like I said it was rock steady with the 1.333 MHz
processor, 133 FSB, but dropping in the Barton and upping the FSB to
166, I get these problems.

Any insights to this maddening problem are appreciated.

Dave

uddarts

"" wrote:
> I continue to have weird problems that seem to indicate that
> this board
> is not reliable. Hoping someone can give me pointers.
>
> I had a Thunderbird 1.333 MHz processor in this rig for years
> with no
> problems or stability issues.
>
> Now I have replaced it with a Barton 2800+. I run into
> problems running
> Prime95. The longest I have been able to stress test is right
> around 8
> hours then I get a bunch of SUMOUT errors and it quits.
>
> So, I thought it might be the memory. I ran memtest over
> night with no
> problems for the memory.
>
> So, then I run PCMark04 a bunch of times, no problems.
>
> So, then I run CPUBurn. No problems.
>
> So, in summary, it seems that when I test memory itself, no
> problems.
> When I test the CPU, seems no problems. However, when I use
> the blend
> test of Prime95, I eventually get SUMOUT errors. Anywhere
> from 1 to 8
> hours after the test begins.
>
> I notice while monitoring everything with Motherboard Monitor,
> I see
> some of the voltages all over the place. The worst offender
> is the +12
> monitor. It goes from +6 to up around +11. I read on the net
> that
> there is apparently a sensor problem with these boards, but I
> would like
> to know for sure. Vcore seems pretty steady at 1.62 to 1.63.
>
> I also tried a different power supply, thinking this one might
> be flaky,
> but I get the same behavior.
>
> In summary, it seems like the board might be the problem in
> this
> configuration. Like I said it was rock steady with the 1.333
> MHz
> processor, 133 FSB, but dropping in the Barton and upping the
> FSB to
> 166, I get these problems.
>
> Any insights to this maddening problem are appreciated.
>
> Dave

the darn thing should work. whatís the deal here? if your board had
vcore adjustments, the first thing iíd tell you is to bump it up. that
normally solves that prime95 bust out.

i just looked at pdf manual for your board. there is no sensor for the
12v. thatís why you get the bouncing reading. i would use a digital
multimeter on the yellow wire on a molex to make sure the 12v line
isnít low. they sell for $15.

check your capacitors on the board. do any of them appear to be
leaking or have puffy tops?

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Eliteg...pict61361.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309811

Anonymous

uddarts wrote:
> "" wrote:
> > I continue to have weird problems that seem to indicate that
> > this board
> > is not reliable. Hoping someone can give me pointers.
> >
> > I had a Thunderbird 1.333 MHz processor in this rig for years
> > with no
> > problems or stability issues.
> >
> > Now I have replaced it with a Barton 2800+. I run into
> > problems running
> > Prime95. The longest I have been able to stress test is right
> > around 8
> > hours then I get a bunch of SUMOUT errors and it quits.
> >
> > So, I thought it might be the memory. I ran memtest over
> > night with no
> > problems for the memory.
> >
> > So, then I run PCMark04 a bunch of times, no problems.
> >
> > So, then I run CPUBurn. No problems.
> >
> > So, in summary, it seems that when I test memory itself, no
> > problems.
> > When I test the CPU, seems no problems. However, when I use
> > the blend
> > test of Prime95, I eventually get SUMOUT errors. Anywhere
> > from 1 to 8
> > hours after the test begins.
> >
> > I notice while monitoring everything with Motherboard Monitor,
> > I see
> > some of the voltages all over the place. The worst offender
> > is the +12
> > monitor. It goes from +6 to up around +11. I read on the net
> > that
> > there is apparently a sensor problem with these boards, but I
> > would like
> > to know for sure. Vcore seems pretty steady at 1.62 to 1.63.
> >
> > I also tried a different power supply, thinking this one might
> > be flaky,
> > but I get the same behavior.
> >
> > In summary, it seems like the board might be the problem in
> > this
> > configuration. Like I said it was rock steady with the 1.333
> > MHz
> > processor, 133 FSB, but dropping in the Barton and upping the
> > FSB to
> > 166, I get these problems.
> >
> > Any insights to this maddening problem are appreciated.
> >
> > Dave

> the darn thing should work. whatís the deal here? if your board had
> vcore adjustments, the first thing iíd tell you is to bump it up. that
> normally solves that prime95 bust out.
>
> i just looked at pdf manual for your board. there is no sensor for the
> 12v. thatís why you get the bouncing reading. i would use a digital
> multimeter on the yellow wire on a molex to make sure the 12v line
> isnít low. they sell for $15.
>
> check your capacitors on the board. do any of them appear to be
> leaking or have puffy tops?
>

> ud

ud,

i will be getting a multimeter tomorrow to followup on your suggestion.

the board looks pristine. no bad/going bad caps that i can see.

i do think that everything seems to be narrowing down to the fact that
the Vcore may be too low.

MBM 5 says that the average Vcore is like 1.62. From what I have read
it should be 1.65 minimum.

I cannot figure out why the Vcore is too low for this CPU. I dont feel
comfortable doing a pin mod. I have an Abit KD7 motherboard on the way.
I will see how thw CPU performs with that.

thanks for the suggestions...

uddarts

"" wrote:
> [...]

> be
> > leaking or have puffy tops?
> >

> > ud
> >

> ud,
>
> i will be getting a multimeter tomorrow to followup on your
> suggestion.
>
> the board looks pristine. no bad/going bad caps that i can
> see.
>
> i do think that everything seems to be narrowing down to the
> fact that
> the Vcore may be too low.
>
> MBM 5 says that the average Vcore is like 1.62. From what I
> have read
> it should be 1.65 minimum.
>
> I cannot figure out why the Vcore is too low for this CPU. I
> dont feel
> comfortable doing a pin mod. I have an Abit KD7 motherboard
> on the way.
> I will see how thw CPU performs with that.

i no expert by any means. just a hands on type with enough time around
the forums to have some sort of idea on what the normal problems are
and what to do to narrow things down. the low vcore isnít unusual and
itís not caused by the psu. itís more the bios or board that sets it
that way. a weak psu could be causing something else to malfunction. i
suspect we wonít find the psu is bad. iím just covering the bases.

i just google the kd7. the review show a much more comprehensive
bios/monitoring. if you notice near the bottom of the page, they show
12v reading at 11.73v. that isnít unusual. if you put your new
multimeter on a molex it could well show near 12v. so donít panic. it
looks like a nice board.
i still have a abit kt7a-r that i use.

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherb...7r/index04.htm

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309982