Converting coaxial to 5.1

Rich

Hi,
My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says it
does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It does,
however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device that
could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
Thanks,
Rich

Chris 159

news:bst12j$j0c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

it
> does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

does,
> however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
> individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

that
> could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
> connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
> Thanks,
> Rich

a lot of pc's that support direct connection of 5.1 speakers use the mic and
line in sockets as the other 4 channels for the speakers. usually theres
some form of configuration in the advanced volume properties

HTH

David Stephens

.....or get a Creative Extigy external sound card that will take the digital
output and give you 5.1 surround sound!!

dave
"Chris 159" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bst185$rg5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bst12j$j0c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

> it
> > does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

> does,
> > however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
> > individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

> that
> > could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need

> > connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
> > Thanks,
> > Rich
> >

> a lot of pc's that support direct connection of 5.1 speakers use the mic

and
> line in sockets as the other 4 channels for the speakers. usually theres
> some form of configuration in the advanced volume properties
>
> HTH

---

Jac

I think you need to connect the digital output to the digital input of Dolby
amplifier, which converts and amplifies the digital signal to five
individual analog signals.

Jac

"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:bst12j$j0c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

it
> does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

does,
> however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
> individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

that
> could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
> connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
> Thanks,
> Rich

Dale

"Jac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3ff54272$0$16788$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> I think you need to connect the digital output to the digital input of Dolby
> amplifier, which converts and amplifies the digital signal to five
> individual analog signals.
>
> Jac
>
> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:bst12j$j0c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

> it
> > does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

> does,
> > however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
> > individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

> that
> > could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
> > connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
> > Thanks,
> > Rich

Yeah, from my understanding Jac is right. I too have a 5.1 capable
card in my PC with a digital out connection, but finding a cable that
goes from the mini jack on my PC to a digital coax connection on my
klipsch promedia reciever seems to be the problem. I have looked
everywhere online and off but have yet to find one. Some idiot at
radioshack said they usually have them in stock, but i am beginning to
think he has no idea what i need since radioshack.com didn't have the
cable either. If someone finds a cable please tell me.

Dale

a@b.c

You don't need a special cable, any cable and combination of adapter plugs will
work as long as the distance is not too long. Its a digital signal, either on
or off, so there's really no degradation based on the cable or plug, although
its probably a good idea not to go over 12 feet in length.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2444