Converting e-book file types

Michelle Steiner

How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

Calibre.

Geoff.

In 1969 the US could put a man on the moon, now teenagers just howl at it. :-(

J. Stewart

I use Calibre <http://calibre-ebook.com/download>.
--
Use ROT 13 on email address for replies to sender

Michelle Steiner

In article <2012043016095412570-cfnzrpu@jvaqfgernzarg>,
J. Stewart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

> I use Calibre <http://calibre-ebook.com/download>.

Thanks; I had forgotten about that app.

-- Michelle

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

nospam

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

calibre
<http://calibre-ebook.com/>

the formats it supports are:
<http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-app-support-
conversion-to-from>

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT,
LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB,
PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Bread

On 2012-04-30 20:24:25 +0000, nospam said:

> the formats it supports are:
> <http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-app-support-
> conversion-to-from>
>
> Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT,
> LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ
>
> Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB,
> PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Has anyone else had problems converting from epub and/or mobi to PDF?

I've got an e-book which has some forms and tables and such, and when I
used Calibre to convert, all those graphic elements were left out (and
they were the main reason I was trying to convert- particularly so I
could print those bits out).

Any other recommendations for mobi or epub -> PDF?

Come to think of it, any recommended apps for reading them? Calibre is
great for organizing and some of the converting, but the reader isn't
great.

(A reader which has a working Print function would be enough for
conversions to PDF given OS X's built in print-to-pdf)

Thanks

Michelle Steiner

In article <300420121324253534%(E-Mail Removed)>,
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> the formats it supports are:
> <http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-app-support-
> conversion-to-from>

I set it up to convert to .epub format, but I got .prc format in addition
to the .epub file. Also, there's a file named metadata.opf. Can I ignore
all the files other than the .epub file?

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Michelle Steiner

In article <jnn0bo$qsf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Todd Allcock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I set it up to convert to .epub format, but I got .prc format in
> > addition to the .epub file. Also, there's a file named metadata.opf.
> > Can I ignore all the files other than the .epub file?

> Calibre is also a management tool for ebooks, like iTunes is for music.
> The .prc is a copy of the original, placed in the Calibre library. You
> can ignore it and the .opf, which is essentially tagging data visible in
> the Calibre interface, and added to converted files.

Thanks.

-- Michelle

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Fred McKenzie

In article <jnn003$ops$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Todd Allcock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Most ebook formats (mobi, epub, lit) are just compressed HTML. To print a
> section I typically just convert them to HTML, then cut/paste and print
> the desired selection.

Todd-

Reading your comment, I tried changing an EPUB file suffix to HTML and
opened it in Safari. It was garbage, but I noticed "PK" near the top.
Suspecting it might be a ZIP file, I changed the suffix to ZIP and
double-clicked it. A folder was created that has a bunch of HTML files.
Each appears to be a chapter in the book. There are also some other
files including a JPEG of the cover.

So how did you convert to HTML? Was Calibre able to do that and
maintain the layout of graphic elements?

Fred

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fred McKenzie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Reading your comment, I tried changing an EPUB file suffix to HTML and
> opened it in Safari. It was garbage, but I noticed "PK" near the top.
> Suspecting it might be a ZIP file, I changed the suffix to ZIP and
> double-clicked it. A folder was created that has a bunch of HTML files.
> Each appears to be a chapter in the book. There are also some other
> files including a JPEG of the cover.

I tried changing the name of filename.epub to filename.zip, and
double-clicking it. That created a file named filname.zip.cpgz, whatever
that is. Double-clicking it created a zip file.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

file types/data types/mime types Jd Lyall Apple 5 06-02-2006 07:39 PM
Unassociating file types with applications Mayhem Apple 0 02-19-2006 09:34 AM
file types Andrew Roberts Apple 1 12-02-2004 05:45 AM
Default file types Tim Milstead Apple 5 11-26-2004 11:11 AM
file types Bob Foringer Dell 2 12-01-2003 03:44 AM