Converting Video to DVD?

Ben Blackmore

Hi,

I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure how. As
they are mostly still on the little camcorder tapes, I guess I need to
connect the camcoder to a graphics card with TV in. Trouble is, although I
know a bit about graphics cards, I don't know much about video cards with TV
out! What am I looking for? What do I need to be able to transfer my videos
to DVD?

Best regards

Ben

stacey

Ben Blackmore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What do I need to be able to transfer my
> videos to DVD?

A google search?
--

Stacey

Bert Root

Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...

> I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure

Irrelevant cross posting gimp

Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.

--
><((((║> Bert Root« <║))))><

Ben Blackmore

if you don't have anything to add to a simple question why don't you ****ing
**** off! Get a life you sad ****!

"Bert Root" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt7u86$kov$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...
>
> > I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure

> Irrelevant cross posting gimp
>
> Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
> alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.
>
> --
> ><((((║> Bert Root« <║))))><

J.Clarke

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:02:30 -0000
"Ben Blackmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> if you don't have anything to add to a simple question why don't you
> ****ing **** off! Get a life you sad ****!

Actually, he did add something constructive, although the both of you
need your mouths washed out with soap. He suggested that the OP try a
newsgroup in which he was likely to find more expertise in that
particular area than the ones that he used.

> "Bert Root" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bt7u86$kov$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...
> >
> > > I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure

> > Irrelevant cross posting gimp
> >
> > Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
> > alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.
> >
> > --
> > ><((((║> Bert Root« <║))))><

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Cathy De Viney

www.dvdrhelp.com

"Ben Blackmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ASIJb.701$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure how. As
> they are mostly still on the little camcorder tapes, I guess I need to
> connect the camcoder to a graphics card with TV in. Trouble is, although I
> know a bit about graphics cards, I don't know much about video cards with

TV
> out! What am I looking for? What do I need to be able to transfer my

videos
> to DVD?
>
> Best regards
>
> Ben

Dan

Look in here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
Also here:
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/d...d=40&ProdId=20

Good luck.
Dan

"J.Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) d...
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:02:30 -0000
"Ben Blackmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> if you don't have anything to add to a simple question why don't you
> ****ing **** off! Get a life you sad ****!

Actually, he did add something constructive, although the both of you
need your mouths washed out with soap. He suggested that the OP try a
newsgroup in which he was likely to find more expertise in that
particular area than the ones that he used.

> "Bert Root" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bt7u86$kov$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...
> >
> > > I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure

> > Irrelevant cross posting gimp
> >
> > Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
> > alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.
> >
> > --
> > ><((((║> Bert Root« <║))))><

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Arthur Hagen

Ben Blackmore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure
> how. As they are mostly still on the little camcorder tapes, I guess
> I need to connect the camcoder to a graphics card with TV in. Trouble
> is, although I know a bit about graphics cards, I don't know much
> about video cards with TV out! What am I looking for? What do I need
> to be able to transfer my videos to DVD?

You don't need a new graphics card.

You need:

1: A TV or video capture card with video (or S-VHS) in, depending on the
output of your camcorder. A Pinnacle PTCV or WinTV can often be found on
sale for around $30-40.
2: A DVD burner. A 4x speed burner that doubles as a CD burner can be
picked up for less than $150 these days.
3: A good video editing program. For consumers, Pinnacle Studio 8 is a
good choice, while Screenblast Movie Studio is somewhat easier to use (and
comes with "free" DVD player software) . Note that you can often combine 1
and 3 and buy a bundle with a capture card and the software for the same
price as just the software -- for Pinnacle Studio AV, this would be $100
(the same as for Studio 8 alone).

If you have an external DVD burner, you need a card with video out, or a
converter that can turn the video signal from the computer into an input
format your DVD recorder can understand. With cables and audio converter
plugs, that's probably going to cost you more than a DVD burner, even if
going for the cheapest card.

And, as others stated, you can find better answers by looking in the *right*
groups. Since you crossposted this to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,
my initial reaction was to recommend the Matrox RT.X10 Suite, but that would
almost certainly be overkill for you.

For the future, please keep the crossposting down, and if you expect a
little effort from us in answering, at the very least expend a little effort
in finding out the correct groups to post to. People here aren't paid to
answer your questions, and it's rude to ask people for their time without
putting in ANY effort whatsoever yourself -- not even finding appropriate
groups to ask in!

--
*Art

Bert Root

Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...

> if you don't have anything to add to a simple question why don't you
> ****ing **** off! Get a life you sad ****!

Easy tiger. I was only pushing you in the right direction. Try www.doom9.net
as well for help on conversions.

--

Tony

Ben I use my DV camvcorder pass thru for that, its great, but I also use a
GF 4600 VIVO videocard, and I capture off TV or VCR and that is excellent.
The Leadtek PVR software is very good, and the high bitrayte mpg2 is very
good, ot you can capture to a DV avi, and encode with TMPGEnc, which does
give a better result. I was impressed