Core 2 4500 Won't OC :(

Bob Johnson

Finally got it built. Gigabyte P35-DS3L MB, GSkil 800 ram (2g)

I disabled CPU host clock control and no matter where I set the CPU host
freq (220-300), neither windows or cpu-z reports anyting but 2.2 ghz

cpu-z shows 1320x6, bus 220, rated 880.

I know it's simple but not simple enoogh for this bonehead!

Also, how do I make sure my memory doesn't get overclocked, at least at
first?

hELP!

bob

Bob Johnson

Something is very wrong

CPU-Z says my 2.2 chip is running at core 1200 (6x200 FSB 800). The mult is
set to 11x.

The Ram report says DRAM 400, FSB 1:2, settings: 5,5,5,15 2T

Looks like the ram and CPU are running 1/2 speed??!!

thx

bob

"Bob Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Finally got it built. Gigabyte P35-DS3L MB, GSkil 800 ram (2g)
>

> I disabled CPU host clock control and no matter where I set the CPU host
> freq (220-300), neither windows or cpu-z reports anyting but 2.2 ghz
>
> cpu-z shows 1320x6, bus 220, rated 880.
>
> I know it's simple but not simple enough for this bonehead!
>
> Also, how do I make sure my memory doesn't get overclocked, at least at
> first?
>
> hELP!
>
> bob

Bob Johnson

Update:

I don't trust CPU-Z. Occasionally it did show the right core speed but then
bounces back to the wrong (6X) multiplier.

bob

"Bob Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Something is very wrong
>
> CPU-Z says my 2.2 chip is running at core 1200 (6x200 FSB 800). The mult
> is
> set to 11x.
>
> The Ram report says DRAM 400, FSB 1:2, settings: 5,5,5,15 2T
>
> Looks like the ram and CPU are running 1/2 speed??!!
>
> thx
>
> bob
>

> "Bob Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Finally got it built. Gigabyte P35-DS3L MB, GSkil 800 ram (2g)
>>

>> I disabled CPU host clock control and no matter where I set the CPU host
>> freq (220-300), neither windows or cpu-z reports anyting but 2.2 ghz
>>
>> cpu-z shows 1320x6, bus 220, rated 880.
>>
>> I know it's simple but not simple enough for this bonehead!
>>
>> Also, how do I make sure my memory doesn't get overclocked, at least at
>> first?
>>
>> hELP!
>>
>> bob

Fishface

Bob Johnson wrote:

> Update:
>
> I don't trust CPU-Z. Occasionally it did show the right core speed but then bounces back to the wrong (6X)
> multiplier.

It's probably right. That's the Intel SpeedStep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedstep
In your advanced bios features, you can disable C1E and EIST, if desired.

Bob Johnson

I'll try that

Do the memory settings look oK?

thx

bob

"Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote in message
> Bob Johnson wrote:
>
>> Update:
>>
>> I don't trust CPU-Z. Occasionally it did show the right core speed but
>> then bounces back to the wrong (6X) multiplier.

> It's probably right. That's the Intel SpeedStep.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedstep
> In your advanced bios features, you can disable C1E and EIST, if desired.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh interweb Bob Johnson typed:
> Update:
>
> I don't trust CPU-Z. Occasionally it did show the right core speed but
> then bounces back to the wrong (6X) multiplier.

Trust CPU-Z. Especially if it's version 1.41. Trust it above all else.

The reason you're seeing it show 1200 is your CPU has dropped to it's lower
multi. You have to force it to stay at 11x by changing the BIOS setting from
'default' or 'auto' and set it t 11 (if that's what you want).

CPU-Z (correctly) says my E4500 is running at 3.3GHz. 413 x 8. 'My Computer'
thinks that the multi is still 11 and tells me that my CPU is running at
4.54GHz, as does Orthos *and* Intel TAT. Only CPU-Z gets it right.

I'm not familiar with Gigabyte BIOS' (I've bought soley Asus for the last
few times) so can't help you much. I'm sure that someone else will come
along and tell you which parameters to set in Gigabyte terminology.

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

> "Bob Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Something is very wrong
>>
>> CPU-Z says my 2.2 chip is running at core 1200 (6x200 FSB 800). The
>> mult is
>> set to 11x.
>>
>> The Ram report says DRAM 400, FSB 1:2, settings: 5,5,5,15 2T
>>
>> Looks like the ram and CPU are running 1/2 speed??!!
>>
>> thx
>>
>> bob
>>

>> "Bob Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Finally got it built. Gigabyte P35-DS3L MB, GSkil 800 ram (2g)
>>>

>>> I disabled CPU host clock control and no matter where I set the CPU
>>> host freq (220-300), neither windows or cpu-z reports anyting but
>>> 2.2 ghz cpu-z shows 1320x6, bus 220, rated 880.
>>>
>>> I know it's simple but not simple enough for this bonehead!
>>>
>>> Also, how do I make sure my memory doesn't get overclocked, at
>>> least at first?
>>>
>>> hELP!
>>>
>>> bob

Fishface

Bob Johnson wrote:

> Do the memory settings look oK?

Do you know about pressing <ctrl>+F1 in the BIOS to enable the
advanced settings?

The SpeedStep seems like a desirable feature, but can create instability
when overclocking, probably because it drops the voltage, too. You can
mess around with it later, but for now, you should disable it.

Unfortunately, my DS3L is not currently set-up, so I can't easily check
the BIOS screens. Your setup screens should look pretty much like
these, I think:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=110004

In order to run 3 GHz, you might try setting your "CPU Clock Ratio" to '9',
your "CPU Host Frequency" to "333", and your "System Memory Multiplier"
to "2.0". Leave your "CPU Voltage Control" on "Auto" for now-- it will be
raised automatically (to some predefined extent) for you when overclocking.
Look at the "Normal CPU Vcore" to see what your CPU is asking for on the
VID pins. You can try lowering it later if it is stable. This will run your
DDR2-400 memory at DDR2-333 speed.

8 x 375 will also give you 3GHz. 7 x 428 would also, but your memory is
then running out of spec at DDR2-428 speed. In the bios screen, the
memory speed will be shown doubled, since it is "double data rate",
but the actual clock frequency will be half that with the "System Memory
Multiplier" at "2.0".

Is this your RAM?
It calls for 1.8v to 2v. The "DIMM OverVoltage Control" can be set to
"+0.2v" to give you 2v, since the BIOS has this screwy way of setting it.
Since you are not overclocking your RAM, at least not yet, you should be
fine with that.

Phil Weldon

'Bob Johnson' wrote:
| I'll try that
|
| Do the memory settings look oK?

_____

The clock for DDR2 memory is 1/2 the FrontSide Bus Clock. If your CPU is
running at default with an 800 MHz FSB, then the 1:2 ratio is correct when
your DDR2-800 memory is running at stock speed; the memory clock is 1/2 the
CPU clock. a 1:2 ratio. Before early 2007 not only was there no official
specifications for faster memory, there was no faster memory available at
prices ordinary mortals could afford. In March of 2007 2 X 1 GByte PC8500
(DDR2-1066) memory cost from $250 to $400.

From what you report, your DDR2-800 memory is operating at its rated speed.
As Aretha Franklin sings, re re re re... read, re-read, and re-re-read the
explanations of the relationships among clock speeds, FSB speeds, DDR2, and
Core 2 multipliers. There is nothing wrong with your memory settings - the
latencies are relaxed, and it is operating at spec for DDR2-800.

Evidently you are misunderstanding some of the settings in the BIOS in your
Gigabyte motherboard. I'd try to help, but downloading a copy of the manual
from Gigabyte seems to be only intermittently possible (one of the reasons
I've never bought a Gigabyte motherboard.) As you may have realized from
reading posts in this newsgroup, different manufacturers use different BIOS
parameter names. What you want for a start is to MANUALLY set the CPU
multiplier to 11X (the default) and the FSB clock ( or CPU host frequency or
whatever arcane term Gigabyte has deemed necessary to inflict upon their
customers) set to 200 MHz and have the MEMORY clock set to a ratio (from
what you have posted) is 1:2. The first step to overclock is to change
Gigabyte BIOS parameter to set the CPU host clock to 210 MHz. This should
give you a 210 MHz X 11 = 2310 MHz CPU frequency, a very mild overclock that
should require no mucking about with the CPU core voltage. The DDR2-800
memory will also be only mildly overclocked, and with the relaxed timings
you report (5,5,5,15,2T) there should be no memory related problems.

Make sure you keep track of the CPU core temperatures using the Intel TAT
applet. Under low load the reported temperatures should be ~ 35 C or less.
As long as the reported temperatures are below 65 C there should be no
automatic throttling by the Intel circuits. You will want to disable this
automatic throttling - the CPU is still protected from damage by overheating
by built-in thermal shutdown that can NOT be disabled, and by the fact that
when the CPU overheats, it eventually starts generating errors that will
lock up the system and stay that way until the locked CPU, no longer doing
anything, cools down with no harm done (this will likely happen at a
temperature at which GPUs are as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.)

Once you understand what the terms mean in your Gigabyte manual and in the
BIOS, then you can begin to try some real overclocks. But until you do,
getting into things like increasing the CPU core voltage and changing the
Memory clock : CPU clock ratio will REALLY make you pull you hair. Those of
us who have been overclocking for ten years or more had a much easier time
in beginning - there were VERY few things you COULD set manually - FSB speed
and CPU core voltage; and sometimes not even that much, just a choice
between forcing the FSB to either 66 MHz or 100 MHz.

"Bob Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
| I'll try that
|
| Do the memory settings look oK?
|
| thx
|
| bob
|

| "Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote in message
| > Bob Johnson wrote:
| >
| >> Update:
| >>
| >> I don't trust CPU-Z. Occasionally it did show the right core speed but
| >> then bounces back to the wrong (6X) multiplier.
| >
| > It's probably right. That's the Intel SpeedStep.
| > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedstep
| > In your advanced bios features, you can disable C1E and EIST, if
desired.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh interweb Phil Weldon typed:

> Those of us who have been overclocking for
> ten years or more had a much easier time in beginning - there were
> VERY few things you COULD set manually - FSB speed and CPU core
> voltage; and sometimes not even that much, just a choice between
> forcing the FSB to either 66 MHz or 100 MHz.

How true Phil. I well remember playing with Pentiums, changing multipliers,
switching from 50Mhz FSB to 60, to 66 and back again. Later we went through
the stage of pin mods/slocket mods, had the problem of PCI (and later AGP)
clock tied to FSB so that, for me at least, often it was the HDD that
dictated my maximum overclock.

I just had a disagreement with a poster in another computer group. (I exited
the conversation gracefully). He is stuck in a time-warp, basically saying
to me that overclocking was a 'black art' and "hardly anyone does it". In
fact he spoke to me in a derogatory way for suggesting that overclockablity
was an important consideration when purchasing a CPU. These days almost any
motherboard (other than entry-level) has at least *some* overclocking
options. "Enthusiast" boards can have so many that the mind boggles. It's no
longer a "black art" practiced by less than 1% of PC users. Still, some
people don't want to be educated. <sigh>
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Bob Johnson

Thanks, Everyone

I disabled SpeedSteep anf am running at 11x 272 (2.9ghz) with the voltage
set to auto so I think it bumped it a bit; I'll have to write it all down.

I didn't know about the "hidden" menu so, thanks for that.

I ran the dual core version of Orthos for a while this morning. The core
temps went from 32 to 58 with room temp around 67 F. Is that OK?

> Bob Johnson wrote:
>
>> Do the memory settings look oK?

> Do you know about pressing <ctrl>+F1 in the BIOS to enable the
> advanced settings?
>
> The SpeedStep seems like a desirable feature, but can create instability
> when overclocking, probably because it drops the voltage, too. You can
> mess around with it later, but for now, you should disable it.
>
> Unfortunately, my DS3L is not currently set-up, so I can't easily check
> the BIOS screens. Your setup screens should look pretty much like
> these, I think:
> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=110004
>
> In order to run 3 GHz, you might try setting your "CPU Clock Ratio" to
> '9',
> your "CPU Host Frequency" to "333", and your "System Memory Multiplier"
> to "2.0". Leave your "CPU Voltage Control" on "Auto" for now-- it will
> be
> raised automatically (to some predefined extent) for you when
> overclocking.
> Look at the "Normal CPU Vcore" to see what your CPU is asking for on the
> VID pins. You can try lowering it later if it is stable. This will run
> your
> DDR2-400 memory at DDR2-333 speed.

Why would you lower the ratio and raise the bus speed if the result is the
same?

> 8 x 375 will also give you 3GHz. 7 x 428 would also, but your memory is
> then running out of spec at DDR2-428 speed. In the bios screen, the
> memory speed will be shown doubled, since it is "double data rate",
> but the actual clock frequency will be half that with the "System Memory
> Multiplier" at "2.0".

Doesn't the GB board automatically keep the memory at 800 if auto is chosen?

> Is this your RAM?
> It calls for 1.8v to 2v. The "DIMM OverVoltage Control" can be set to
> "+0.2v" to give you 2v, since the BIOS has this screwy way of setting it.
> Since you are not overclocking your RAM, at least not yet, you should be
> fine with that.

Yes, that's it. Is it decent? Should I leave the "relaxed" settings alone
for now?

Thanks to all!

bob