Core 2 duo with AGP

AS

Well, perhaps a strange question, but...
The case is I am considering an upgrade to C2Duo. It looks like a clear
choice for me. I am not interested in gaming at all, only 2D garphics like
Photoshop, Premiere, Nikon Capture etc. Now I have a system with 478 socket
and Matrox P650 AGP card. As I don't need more graphics power than I have
now, there's no need to buy a new card. However, there's no mainboard with
AGP port, all are with PCI-E, so I will be forced to shell out out extra
cash for a new card I don't actually need. That's the progress, cough,... I
was almost ready to do it until I ocasionally found an ASRock
ConRoe865PEmobo (http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoe865PE.htm). Does anyone
know how big is the performance difference between this board and any 965
chipset board?
P.S. I can afford to buy all chunks, it's not a monye problem, just I don't
like the idea to buy anything I don't really need.

TIA

Barry Watzman

Sounds like a real kludge to me. AGP is really dead. There are some
good PCI-E motherboards at/under $100. I'd recommend the MSI RX1300
Pro, based on the ATI X1300 chip.

AS wrote:

> Well, perhaps a strange question, but...
> The case is I am considering an upgrade to C2Duo. It looks like a clear
> choice for me. I am not interested in gaming at all, only 2D garphics
> like Photoshop, Premiere, Nikon Capture etc. Now I have a system with
> 478 socket and Matrox P650 AGP card. As I don't need more graphics power
> than I have now, there's no need to buy a new card. However, there's no
> mainboard with AGP port, all are with PCI-E, so I will be forced to
> shell out out extra cash for a new card I don't actually need. That's
> the progress, cough,... I was almost ready to do it until I ocasionally
> found an ASRock ConRoe865PEmobo
> (http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoe865PE.htm). Does anyone know how
> big is the performance difference between this board and any 965 chipset
> board?
> P.S. I can afford to buy all chunks, it's not a monye problem, just I
> don't like the idea to buy anything I don't really need.
>
> TIA

AS

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like a real kludge to me. AGP is really dead.

Yes. In a way because of the "new technology" pushing. I am not able to see
any advantages of PCI-E vs. AGP in 2d Graphics.

There are some
> good PCI-E motherboards at/under $100.

I know. As I said before, the money is not a problem. I don't like to buy
want don't need.

I'd recommend the MSI RX1300
> Pro, based on the ATI X1300 chip.

One of reasons I like the P650 because it's fanless. Sorry, didin't mention
before.
Actually I don't need recomendations, I am able to select cards. The
question was not about this.
Thanks for input, anyway.

Angry American

You may want to look at an onboard option for graphics. I have found the
later chipsets with 64mb onboard work real well. My experience is with the
AMD systems though, specifically Nvidia chipsets.

Dan

AS wrote:
> Well, perhaps a strange question, but...
> The case is I am considering an upgrade to C2Duo. It looks like a
> clear choice for me. I am not interested in gaming at all, only 2D
> garphics like Photoshop, Premiere, Nikon Capture etc. Now I have a
> system with 478 socket and Matrox P650 AGP card. As I don't need more
> graphics power than I have now, there's no need to buy a new card.
> However, there's no mainboard with AGP port, all are with PCI-E, so I
> will be forced to shell out out extra cash for a new card I don't
> actually need. That's the progress, cough,... I was almost ready to
> do it until I ocasionally found an ASRock ConRoe865PEmobo
> (http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoe865PE.htm). Does anyone know how
> big is the performance difference between this board and any 965
> chipset board? P.S. I can afford to buy all chunks, it's not a monye
> problem, just I
> don't like the idea to buy anything I don't really need.
>
> TIA

Mitch Crane

"AS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ZPxXg.69$(E-Mail Removed)2net.dk:

> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sounds like a real kludge to me. AGP is really dead.

> Yes. In a way because of the "new technology" pushing. I am not able
> to see any advantages of PCI-E vs. AGP in 2d Graphics.
>
> There are some
>> good PCI-E motherboards at/under $100.

> I know. As I said before, the money is not a problem. I don't like to
> buy want don't need.

By the same token, you probably don't really need an AGP card, but that's
what you have. Technology moves on. If money isn't an issue then just get a
new PCI-e card and move on with it. Are you saying if someone gave you a
suitable PCI-e video card for free you wouldn't use it?

Alternatively, maybe you could move backward and get yourself a PCI video
card.

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng

Jerry

"Mitch Crane" <(E-Mail Removed)-three> wrote in message
news:Xns985AB38208107aoneatwoathree@216.196.97.142 ...
> "AS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

news:ZPxXg.69$(E-Mail Removed)2net.dk:

> > "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Sounds like a real kludge to me. AGP is really dead.

> > Yes. In a way because of the "new technology" pushing. I am not

able
> > to see any advantages of PCI-E vs. AGP in 2d Graphics.
> >
> > There are some
> >> good PCI-E motherboards at/under $100.

> > I know. As I said before, the money is not a problem. I don't

like to
> > buy want don't need.

> By the same token, you probably don't really need an AGP card, but

that's
> what you have. Technology moves on. If money isn't an issue then

just get a
> new PCI-e card and move on with it. Are you saying if someone gave

you a
> suitable PCI-e video card for free you wouldn't use it?

There are still one or two applications that require a Matrox AGP
card, but the point is, there is no real need for PCI-e graphics
cards outside the gaming sector but unfortunately that is the sector
were manufactures can entice people to part with money more
easily....

none@aol.com

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:18:02 +0100, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Mitch Crane" <(E-Mail Removed)-three> wrote in message
>news:Xns985AB38208107aoneatwoathree@216.196.97.14 2...
>> "AS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>news:ZPxXg.69$(E-Mail Removed)2net.dk:
>>

>> > "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > Yes. In a way because of the "new technology" pushing. I am not

>able
>> > to see any advantages of PCI-E vs. AGP in 2d Graphics.
>> >
>> > There are some
>> >
>> > I know. As I said before, the money is not a problem. I don't

>like to
>> > buy want don't need.

>> By the same token, you probably don't really need an AGP card, but

>that's
>> what you have. Technology moves on. If money isn't an issue then

>just get a
>> new PCI-e card and move on with it. Are you saying if someone gave

>you a
>> suitable PCI-e video card for free you wouldn't use it?
>>

>There are still one or two applications that require a Matrox AGP
>card, but the point is, there is no real need for PCI-e graphics
>cards outside the gaming sector but unfortunately that is the sector
>were manufactures can entice people to part with money more
>easily....

unfortunately !?!?!?!

How so?

AS

"Angry American" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:452eb08c$0$2985$(E-Mail Removed) g.com...
> You may want to look at an onboard option for graphics. I have found the
> later chipsets with 64mb onboard work real well. My experience is with the
> AMD systems though, specifically Nvidia chipsets.

Oh, yes, there's such an option, but thanks for reply. The case is there's
no onboard graphics comparable qualitywise to a separate card dedicated for
graphical applications. In short: It's not good enough.

AS

"Mitch Crane" <(E-Mail Removed)-three> wrote in message
news:Xns985AB38208107aoneatwoathree@216.196.97.142 ...

> By the same token, you probably don't really need an AGP card, but that's
> what you have. Technology moves on.

Certainly

> If money isn't an issue then just get a
> new PCI-e card and move on with it.

I am sure, all manufactures are really glad to hear this :-)

> Are you saying if someone gave you a
> suitable PCI-e video card for free you wouldn't use it?

It's strange. I asked a if anyone could comment about the performance
difference (raw CPU power) between a certain board with an older chipset and
a new CPU on it and another "avarage" board with a new chipset and a new
CPU. No comments so far, just an angry reaction because of the old
technology. Well, I can see why it's moving on ;-)

> Alternatively, maybe you could move backward and get yourself a PCI video
> card.

No problem. I stil have a good one, and it is as a "plan B".

Barry Watzman

There is a good PCI-E fanless card, the eVGA 7600GS, about $140.

You are correct that you are being pushed to technology (PCI-E) that may
not benefit you in particular. However, that doesn't mean that there is
no benefit, as PCI-E is faster than AGP. And, consequently, since it's
not more expensive, the manufacturers are going to go with it for all
new chipsets. Which leaves anyone trying to use previous generation
technology out in the cold as far as new motherboards are concerned, but
that is the price of progress.