correct recording level with Terratec Phono Preamp

Bruno Freitag

I'm converting my old vinyls to CD, using the Terratec Phono preamp.
What is the optimal recording level (in dB). How do I find the optimal
combination between input level (setting min/mid/max on the preamp)
and the "volume" slider in windows recording control. (I assume the
higher the input signal and the less internal amplification the better
- unless the input signal is beyond what the soundcard can convert -
how to find out) Has anybody done the same and some advise/hints?
thx and enjoy
Bruno

CrimsonLiar

Not done exactly the same as I have a "Pro-ject Debut/Phono SB" turntable
and so dont need to use a pre-amp. 0dB is optimal, however if you hit 0dB
its likely you went over and will actually have lost some of the signal, so
best to allways keep it under 0dB.

Your next problem will be that different records have different recoring
levels, so there is no one level setting that will suit all. Dependant on
your hardware though, there may be a cheat! If you soundcard can record at
24bit precision and you have software that can process this, then do it!
After you have captured you record, cut off the lead-in and lead out, then
"Normalise" the recording. The results will never be worse than 16bit
recording (even if you later re-sample to 16bit), and can especially on
quiet records be a great improvement.

CrimsonLiar

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...