Corrupt image?

I am trying to install a known good copy (image) of my hard drive to my Dell
5100. The backup was made on a Packard Bell machine and I've installed it to
that machine a few times in the past. I use True Image to do the job, but
for some reason when I copy the partition to the Dell's drive then reboot, I
get a message saying I have a corrupt installation. Original backup was made
using an IDE drive, and the Dell has a SATA drive. The installation has Win
XP Pro btw. I thought it should work and all I'd have to do is update the
drivers as that would need to be done anyway. Can anyone suggest what the
problem might be?

BillW50

In news:wiHhq.469$(E-Mail Removed)2,
J wrote:
> I am trying to install a known good copy (image) of my hard drive to
> my Dell 5100. The backup was made on a Packard Bell machine and I've
> installed it to that machine a few times in the past. I use True
> Image to do the job, but for some reason when I copy the partition to
> the Dell's drive then reboot, I get a message saying I have a corrupt
> installation. Original backup was made using an IDE drive, and the
> Dell has a SATA drive. The installation has Win XP Pro btw. I thought
> it should work and all I'd have to do is update the drivers as that
> would need to be done anyway. Can anyone suggest what the problem
> might be?

You need generic drivers to make that work. There are two ways I know to
do this:

1) Paragon's Adaptive Restore

2) Acronis True Image Restore to Dissimilar Hardware

A third choice is just to install the OS from scratch.

--
Bill

Brian K

J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully restore
this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when you restore
this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do you see the
error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B BSOD and a
restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell? Does it have 240
Heads?

How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
Management).

"Brian K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E1Nhq.3327$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...
> J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully
> restore this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when
> you restore this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do
> you see the error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B
> BSOD and a restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell? Does
> it have 240 Heads?
>
> How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
> Management).

Well, 'that' made me laugh! Does all that have any real bearing on the
nature of the problem? If it does, than I'm shafted! Dairy-farmer
here...'part-time computer and internet user!
All I know is the hard drive is an 80GB Western Digital IDE/ATA....'(which
means absolutley bugger-all to me btw!).
Everything works fine if I restore the image to the Packard Bell drive, but
NOT to the Dell.
The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell, all
I get is a blue screen and a freeze.
I can't really imagine doing a clean install as I have tons of software for
my business and I have no idea where it came from originally as it's been
there for so long. I 'could' just upgrade the old Packard Bell, but it seems
pointless when I can buy a Dell for so little outlay, as I indeed did!

Brian K

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IR0iq.514$(E-Mail Removed)2...

> Does all that have any real bearing on the nature of the problem? If it
> does, than I'm shafted!

It does have bearing and you are not necessarily shafted.

> The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell,
> all I get is a blue screen and a freeze.

That's what you should get because you don't have AHCI drivers installed in
the restored OS. Remember you are restoring an IDE image to a SATA HD. You
can get this to work by installing AHCI drivers to the HD in the Dell and
when WinXP has loaded it will say "Found new Hardware" and install drivers.
You will probably have to install a few Dell drivers too (from the Dell
Support site).

Try this....

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/how...tbosdt-dos.htm

Let us know if you need help from a non Dairy-farmer. (? Norco)

"Brian K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WC4iq.3418$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IR0iq.514$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>
>> Does all that have any real bearing on the nature of the problem? If it
>> does, than I'm shafted!

> It does have bearing and you are not necessarily shafted.
>

>> The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell,
>> all I get is a blue screen and a freeze.

> That's what you should get because you don't have AHCI drivers installed
> in the restored OS. Remember you are restoring an IDE image to a SATA HD.
> You can get this to work by installing AHCI drivers to the HD in the Dell
> and when WinXP has loaded it will say "Found new Hardware" and install
> drivers. You will probably have to install a few Dell drivers too (from
> the Dell Support site).
>
> Try this....
>
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/how...tbosdt-dos.htm
>
> Let us know if you need help from a non Dairy-farmer. (? Norco)

I gave up on this one, but now returning to it...'reluctantly!

How do I go about installing divers when the system won't boot to windows?
The installed image will not work remember. I understand I need to download
drivers...'got a link anyone?

Brian K

> How do I go about installing divers when the system won't boot to windows?
> The installed image will not work remember.

I posted a link that tells you how to install drivers to a non booting OS.

Christopher Muto

On 10/2/2011 1:05 PM, J wrote:
> "Brian K"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:E1Nhq.3327$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...
>> J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully
>> restore this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when
>> you restore this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do
>> you see the error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B
>> BSOD and a restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell? Does
>> it have 240 Heads?
>>
>> How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
>> Management).

> Well, 'that' made me laugh! Does all that have any real bearing on the
> nature of the problem? If it does, than I'm shafted! Dairy-farmer
> here...'part-time computer and internet user!
> All I know is the hard drive is an 80GB Western Digital IDE/ATA....'(which
> means absolutley bugger-all to me btw!).
> Everything works fine if I restore the image to the Packard Bell drive, but
> NOT to the Dell.
> The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell, all
> I get is a blue screen and a freeze.
> I can't really imagine doing a clean install as I have tons of software for
> my business and I have no idea where it came from originally as it's been
> there for so long. I 'could' just upgrade the old Packard Bell, but it seems
> pointless when I can buy a Dell for so little outlay, as I indeed did!

it is little surprise that and installation of windows for one machine
does not work on another. after windows is installed a series of
drivers that allow it to communicate to all the hardware in a given
system are also installed. upon successive reboots windows expects to
find those installed components to be present in the system. clearly
whatever model packard bell you have and whatever model dell you have
are very different machines. you could try running what is called a
'repair re-installation' of windows on image you put on the dell if it
was worth it to you to spend the time and possibly get it to work and
then not have to reinstalled the other software loaded on that image,
but it might prove to be unsuccessful.

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 10/2/2011 1:05 PM, J wrote:
>> "Brian K"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:E1Nhq.3327$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...
>>> J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully
>>> restore this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when
>>> you restore this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do
>>> you see the error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B
>>> BSOD and a restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell?
>>> Does
>>> it have 240 Heads?
>>>
>>> How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
>>> Management).

>> Well, 'that' made me laugh! Does all that have any real bearing on the
>> nature of the problem? If it does, than I'm shafted! Dairy-farmer
>> here...'part-time computer and internet user!
>> All I know is the hard drive is an 80GB Western Digital
>> IDE/ATA....'(which
>> means absolutley bugger-all to me btw!).
>> Everything works fine if I restore the image to the Packard Bell drive,
>> but
>> NOT to the Dell.
>> The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell,
>> all
>> I get is a blue screen and a freeze.
>> I can't really imagine doing a clean install as I have tons of software
>> for
>> my business and I have no idea where it came from originally as it's been
>> there for so long. I 'could' just upgrade the old Packard Bell, but it
>> seems
>> pointless when I can buy a Dell for so little outlay, as I indeed did!

> it is little surprise that and installation of windows for one machine
> does not work on another. after windows is installed a series of drivers
> that allow it to communicate to all the hardware in a given system are
> also installed. upon successive reboots windows expects to find those
> installed components to be present in the system. clearly whatever model
> packard bell you have and whatever model dell you have are very different
> machines. you could try running what is called a 'repair re-installation'
> of windows on image you put on the dell if it was worth it to you to spend
> the time and possibly get it to work and then not have to reinstalled the
> other software loaded on that image, but it might prove to be
> unsuccessful.

Thanks, I had planned on just booting up the Dell afer I had installed the
image to it's drive, then re-installing the drivers for the new system, but
the blue screen was as far as I got and it would not boot to a windows
environment ro anything even close.
Would be nice if these things just worked!

"Brian K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r7yxq.6105$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...

>> How do I go about installing divers when the system won't boot to
>> windows?
>> The installed image will not work remember.

> I posted a link that tells you how to install drivers to a non booting OS.

Way over 'my' head Brian. Thanks all the same.

XFX 6800GT - Corrupt display Coolasblu Gigabyte 2 11-11-2005 06:44 PM
Corrupt Downloads CSM Asus 2 10-03-2005 12:45 AM
A7N8X Graphics corrupt on first few boot up attempts The Old Man Asus 11 09-23-2004 01:59 AM
KT7A-Raid and corrupt intenet download files ??? Is there a problem? Steve Lulay Abit 1 12-22-2003 05:35 AM
[A7V8X-X] corrupt sound drivers file AD1980_3538.zip Stanley Krute Asus 7 07-13-2003 12:10 AM