CPU at 66Mhz - I think I'm hosed

pc

I've a VA503+ 1.2a that I just got running on XP Pro clean install with
bios J4333.

It's been running just dandy in W2K for a couple of years with a
K6-3+450 overclocked quite nicely to 550MHz.

I wasn't happy with the DMA performance, so I elected to flash to J439,
the last official release.

When the system comes up it notes "CPU at 66MHz", finds all the memory,
finds the AWARD bios message "v1.0a", and just sits there.

I took the battery out for a few minutes. Now it says "CPU at 16 MHz".

Golly gee. Am I hosed here? Perhaps if I wait all night it will get
to the part where it will boot from a: and I can flash to J438...

pc

Alex Zorrilla

You may be better off pulling the BIOS chip out and taking it somewhere
to get reflashed. I had to do that one time for a Soyo 7VEM. I sent it
to iCE Flashing at http://www.badbiosflash.com/ . The guy is really
cheap and is good about answering e-mail. I got the chip back and it
worked perfectly. Other places online that do this type of thing are
http://www.badflash.com and http://www.flashbios.org .

If you can do without your VA-503+ for a week or two (the time it took
to mail from Texas to New Jersey and back), I highly recommend this
place. If not, then maybe a local PC repair shop would have the
equipment to do it for you.

Good luck!

--Alex