CPU fan starts every 20 minutes

yes

Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds like a
fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's silence again
for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my computer is
showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's not
overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening? thank you

CJT

yes wrote:
> Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds like a
> fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's silence again
> for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my computer is
> showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's not
> overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening? thank you

probably the power supply fan

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

yes

"CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes wrote:
>> Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds
>> like a fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's
>> silence again for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my
>> computer is showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's
>> not overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening?
>> thank you

> probably the power supply fan

and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?

CJT

yes wrote:
> "CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes wrote:
>>> Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds
>>> like a fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's
>>> silence again for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my
>>> computer is showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's
>>> not overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening?
>>> thank you

>> probably the power supply fan
>>

> and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?

sure

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

yes

"CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes wrote:
>> "CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> probably the power supply fan
>>>

>> and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?
>>

> sure

i bought it 8 months ago but it only started doing that a couple of days
ago - do you know why it has just started to do that? thanks

CJT

yes wrote:
> "CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes wrote:
>>> "CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>> and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?
>>>

>> sure
>>

> i bought it 8 months ago but it only started doing that a couple of days
> ago - do you know why it has just started to do that? thanks

several possibilities come to mind

dust accumulation
different workload
higher ambient temperature in the summer months
change in line voltage due to summer air conditioning loads
or even (though you don't mention one) a change in configuration

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

Peter Emanuelsson

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:06:20 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,
"yes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds like a
>fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's silence again
>for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my computer is
>showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's not
>overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening? thank you

Probably a fan with bad bearings. I'd guess a fan with sleeve
bearings. I prefer ball bearings just because of this...

If possible, remove it and install a new fan. Lubrication is only a
short term solution.

--
May all spammers die in horrible pains!
Wanna e-mail me? Well, peter_e is correct, but the rest is obviously bogus...