CPU heatsink and fan

Mals

Might somebody know if I can reuse the CPU heatsink and fan from Dell
Dimension 4550 on another ATX MoBo?

Thanks!

Edward J. Neth

Not on a standard board with a standard retention bracket, no - the heatsink
is nonstandard.

"Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Might somebody know if I can reuse the CPU heatsink and fan from Dell
> Dimension 4550 on another ATX MoBo?
>
> Thanks!

Mals

Would you be able to advise what heatsink and fan I should buy then?

I was hoping that the heatsink is standard with 2.53 GHz P4.

"Edward J. Neth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CTdKc.90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not on a standard board with a standard retention bracket, no - the

heatsink
> is nonstandard.
>

> "Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Might somebody know if I can reuse the CPU heatsink and fan from Dell
> > Dimension 4550 on another ATX MoBo?
> >
> > Thanks!

Mals

Should have also asked with the earlier question:

Is the CPU fan also unlikely to be usable in say, an Antec BQE case?

Edward J. Neth

You're probably referring to the fan mounted on the case, which is a case
fan, not a CPU fan.
The heatsink itself is what's proprietary to Dell.

"Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Should have also asked with the earlier question:
>
> Is the CPU fan also unlikely to be usable in say, an Antec BQE case?

Mals

Well there is a heatsink (aluminium sort of device) and then there is a fan
mounted on top of the heat sink.
May be the fan is a case fan, but it seems like a fan seated on top of the
heatsink and I am not sure if it is a case fan.

Let me ask this way -- is there a separate CPU fan and case fan?
If not perhaps I am referring to the case fan.

Thanks!

"Edward J. Neth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cGeKc.988$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> You're probably referring to the fan mounted on the case, which is a case
> fan, not a CPU fan.
> The heatsink itself is what's proprietary to Dell.

Edward J. Neth

There are separate heatsink-fan and case fans on some models, yes.

The heatsink is nonstandard, as mentioned before - it won't fit a standard
retention mechanism.
Your best bet is to replace the heatsink-fan with a standard model for an
aftermarket board.

"Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well there is a heatsink (aluminium sort of device) and then there is a

fan
> mounted on top of the heat sink.
> May be the fan is a case fan, but it seems like a fan seated on top of the
> heatsink and I am not sure if it is a case fan.
>
> Let me ask this way -- is there a separate CPU fan and case fan?
> If not perhaps I am referring to the case fan.
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Edward J. Neth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cGeKc.988$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > You're probably referring to the fan mounted on the case, which is a

case
> > fan, not a CPU fan.
> > The heatsink itself is what's proprietary to Dell.

Ben Myers

To rephrase what was stated in other responses: The CPU heat sink/fan is
matched with the retention mechanism on the motherboard. Dell's heat sink/fan
and retention mechanism differ from the standard one promulgated by Intel.

If you wanted to make yourself a lot of hard work, you could gently(!) remove
the retention mechanism from the 4550 motherboard and POSSIBLY use it along with
the Dell CPU heat sink/fan on another motherboard. I say "POSSIBLY" because
many motherboards (including some of Dell's) are manufactured with tiny
clearances between on-board components (e.g. capacitors) and the CPU area.

Frankly, it is a time-consuming and daunting and maybe impossible job to attempt
to use standard heat sink/fan and retention mechanism on a Dell or IBM
motherboard, or vice versa... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:32:56 -0400, "Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Might somebody know if I can reuse the CPU heatsink and fan from Dell
>Dimension 4550 on another ATX MoBo?
>
>Thanks!

Mals

Thank you for the detailed information.

It looks like then that I have to increase my budget further .
Not only a MoBo and case, but also heat sink and fan. Cool.

Would you have any advice as to what heatsink and fan I could go for?

I am planning to get this Mobo --
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...129-148&depa=1

Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >Might somebody know if I can reuse the CPU heatsink and fan from Dell
> >Dimension 4550 on another ATX MoBo?
> >
> >Thanks!

Edward J. Neth

That's a case, not a mainboard. Your choice of heatsink is dictated by
processor, speed, and budget.
The low-end heatsinks ($10-15) use cheap fans and are often noisy. The
higher-end ones ($20+) are usually quieter, if that's a consideration.

If you are rebuilding a Dell system on a new board, you should know that
your copy of Windows will not install without activation - which Microsoft
may deny. It is tied to the Dell BIOS, and if Microsoft denies activation,
you'll need to budget for a retail copy of XP.

"Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for the detailed information.
>
> It looks like then that I have to increase my budget further .
> Not only a MoBo and case, but also heat sink and fan. Cool.
>
> Would you have any advice as to what heatsink and fan I could go for?
>
> I am planning to get this Mobo --

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...129-148&depa=1

> Thanks.
>
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > To rephrase what was stated in other responses: The CPU heat sink/fan

is
> > matched with the retention mechanism on the motherboard. Dell's heat

> sink/fan
> > and retention mechanism differ from the standard one promulgated by

Intel.

> > If you wanted to make yourself a lot of hard work, you could gently(!)

> remove
> > the retention mechanism from the 4550 motherboard and POSSIBLY use it

> along with
> > the Dell CPU heat sink/fan on another motherboard. I say "POSSIBLY"

> because
> > many motherboards (including some of Dell's) are manufactured with tiny
> > clearances between on-board components (e.g. capacitors) and the CPU

area.

> > Frankly, it is a time-consuming and daunting and maybe impossible job to

> attempt
> > to use standard heat sink/fan and retention mechanism on a Dell or IBM
> > motherboard, or vice versa... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:32:56 -0400, "Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
> >
> > >Might somebody know if I can reuse the CPU heatsink and fan from Dell
> > >Dimension 4550 on another ATX MoBo?
> > >
> > >Thanks!

Need to replace CPU heatsink and fan Ajax Asus 5 12-02-2005 09:12 AM
Changing out stock heatsink on mobo for heatsink with fan John Barrington Asus 0 10-11-2004 03:44 PM
cpu heatsink and fan? DS Asus 17 09-15-2004 06:56 PM
Which CPU Heatsink and Fan? dave stockdale Gigabyte 6 02-08-2004 07:01 AM
Kapok 3300B Notebook - Laptop. Processor - CPU - Cooling Fan / Heatsink Fan john Laptops 0 10-17-2003 09:01 AM