Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

CPU heatsink and fan

 
 
Mals
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2004, 08:45 PM
This is the MoBo I am considering. Sorry about the wrong link.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-151&depa=1

After a recent thunderstorm and my Dell m/c stopped working.
Since I do not know which components have gone bad I am planning on getting
a case and a MoBo.
The Windows Xp issue I had not thought of. Thanks for alerting me.

I am planning on using my existing CPU. It is a 2.53 GHz P4, provided it is
working.


"Edward J. Neth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's a case, not a mainboard. Your choice of heatsink is dictated by
> processor, speed, and budget.
> The low-end heatsinks ($10-15) use cheap fans and are often noisy. The
> higher-end ones ($20+) are usually quieter, if that's a consideration.
>
> If you are rebuilding a Dell system on a new board, you should know that
> your copy of Windows will not install without activation - which

Microsoft
> may deny. It is tied to the Dell BIOS, and if Microsoft denies

activation,
> you'll need to budget for a retail copy of XP.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Check your homeowner's insurance policy to find out whether or not electrical
damage to home appliances is insured... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:45:19 -0400, "Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is the MoBo I am considering. Sorry about the wrong link.
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-151&depa=1
>
>After a recent thunderstorm and my Dell m/c stopped working.
>Since I do not know which components have gone bad I am planning on getting
>a case and a MoBo.
>The Windows Xp issue I had not thought of. Thanks for alerting me.
>
>I am planning on using my existing CPU. It is a 2.53 GHz P4, provided it is
>working.
>
>
>"Edward J. Neth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That's a case, not a mainboard. Your choice of heatsink is dictated by
>> processor, speed, and budget.
>> The low-end heatsinks ($10-15) use cheap fans and are often noisy. The
>> higher-end ones ($20+) are usually quieter, if that's a consideration.
>>
>> If you are rebuilding a Dell system on a new board, you should know that
>> your copy of Windows will not install without activation - which

>Microsoft
>> may deny. It is tied to the Dell BIOS, and if Microsoft denies

>activation,
>> you'll need to budget for a retail copy of XP.

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2004, 12:28 AM
As a point of information, the Dell restore CD appears to be a normal copy of
Wondows XP (for the Dimension 2400 anyway), but the COA on the side of the Dell
case is definitely already tied to a Dell system. If you use the COA from the
Dell case, Microsoft may get very fussy about activiating it with a new
motherboard. My guess is that you would have to call Micro$oft's product
activation phone number, then plead and whine with the
non-native-English-speaking person on the phone to get the copy of XP
reactivated. And you ARE telling them the exact truth about what happened, that
you had to replace a blown Dell mobo and that you could not get a replacement
with a Dell BIOS, so they should honor the second activation.

Or... you get lucky and the on-line activation works just fine. You never know.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:51:47 -0400, "Edward J. Neth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That's a case, not a mainboard. Your choice of heatsink is dictated by
>processor, speed, and budget.
>The low-end heatsinks ($10-15) use cheap fans and are often noisy. The
>higher-end ones ($20+) are usually quieter, if that's a consideration.
>
>If you are rebuilding a Dell system on a new board, you should know that
>your copy of Windows will not install without activation - which Microsoft
>may deny. It is tied to the Dell BIOS, and if Microsoft denies activation,
>you'll need to budget for a retail copy of XP.
>
>
>

<SNIP>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mals
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Thanks! I will simply try to use it and reactivate if it asks me to.
Let us see how it goes.

Meanwhile, might you be able to suggest what heatsink (as in which brand and
specific model if you have experience with it) I should opt for?

Also, the Dell 4550 appears to have a fan right on top of the heatsink.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Heat sinks and fans normally are integrated together. You need to buy a heat
sink/fan combo that matches the replacement motherboard you are using. It might
make sense to buy both mobo and heat sink/fan from the same seller.

Thermaltake heat sink/fans are excellent and expensive. The run-of-the-mill
Intel branded heat sink/fans are inexpensive and a bit noisy. As long as they
don't get too clogged up with dust, they usually last a pretty long time. I see
a lot of "CPU Cooler" brand fans in name-brand systems I service, and they
appear to be OK for something on the inexpensive side. As for other brands, I
don't have tons of experience.

If you want to part with the remains of the Dell chassis when you are through
gutting it, let me know. If the shipping isn't too severe from where you are,
it might make sense for me to buy it... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:14:45 -0400, "Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks! I will simply try to use it and reactivate if it asks me to.
>Let us see how it goes.
>
>Meanwhile, might you be able to suggest what heatsink (as in which brand and
>specific model if you have experience with it) I should opt for?
>
>Also, the Dell 4550 appears to have a fan right on top of the heatsink.
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mals
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Thank you for the information. It is very helpful given my knowledge of
assembling a PC.

i will certainly write to you once I am done trying to figure this out.
Thank you again.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Heat sinks and fans normally are integrated together. You need to buy a

heat
> sink/fan combo that matches the replacement motherboard you are using. It

might
> make sense to buy both mobo and heat sink/fan from the same seller.
>
> Thermaltake heat sink/fans are excellent and expensive. The

run-of-the-mill
> Intel branded heat sink/fans are inexpensive and a bit noisy. As long as

they
> don't get too clogged up with dust, they usually last a pretty long time.

I see
> a lot of "CPU Cooler" brand fans in name-brand systems I service, and they
> appear to be OK for something on the inexpensive side. As for other

brands, I
> don't have tons of experience.
>
> If you want to part with the remains of the Dell chassis when you are

through
> gutting it, let me know. If the shipping isn't too severe from where you

are,
> it might make sense for me to buy it... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:14:45 -0400, "Mals" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote:
>
> >Thanks! I will simply try to use it and reactivate if it asks me to.
> >Let us see how it goes.
> >
> >Meanwhile, might you be able to suggest what heatsink (as in which brand

and
> >specific model if you have experience with it) I should opt for?
> >
> >Also, the Dell 4550 appears to have a fan right on top of the heatsink.
> >
> >

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Matt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2004, 06:29 AM
Mals wrote:

> Also, the Dell 4550 appears to have a fan right on top of the heatsink.

^^^^^^^

If you can't decide whether it does or doesn't ... !


 
Reply With Quote
 
Clint
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Actually, every time I've had to phone the MS product activation number
(about 4 times in the last year, due to system upgrades), I've never had a
"non-native-English-speaking person". Communication has never been an
issue, nor has getting the product activated even when activating twice in
less than a month. It's a pain in the butt to have to give them all the
numbers once to the automated system, and again to a real person, but the
process is relatively painless. I have no idea if they'll give the OP a
hard time since the product was tied to a Dell box, however.

Clint

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As a point of information, the Dell restore CD appears to be a normal copy

of
> Wondows XP (for the Dimension 2400 anyway), but the COA on the side of the

Dell
> case is definitely already tied to a Dell system. If you use the COA from

the
> Dell case, Microsoft may get very fussy about activiating it with a new
> motherboard. My guess is that you would have to call Micro$oft's product
> activation phone number, then plead and whine with the
> non-native-English-speaking person on the phone to get the copy of XP
> reactivated. And you ARE telling them the exact truth about what

happened, that
> you had to replace a blown Dell mobo and that you could not get a

replacement
> with a Dell BIOS, so they should honor the second activation.
>
> Or... you get lucky and the on-line activation works just fine. You never

know.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:51:47 -0400, "Edward J. Neth" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote:
>
> >That's a case, not a mainboard. Your choice of heatsink is dictated by
> >processor, speed, and budget.
> >The low-end heatsinks ($10-15) use cheap fans and are often noisy. The
> >higher-end ones ($20+) are usually quieter, if that's a consideration.
> >
> >If you are rebuilding a Dell system on a new board, you should know that
> >your copy of Windows will not install without activation - which

Microsoft
> >may deny. It is tied to the Dell BIOS, and if Microsoft denies

activation,
> >you'll need to budget for a retail copy of XP.
> >
> >
> >

> <SNIP>



 
Reply With Quote
 
WSZsr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004, 09:48 PM
It will not be a problem. Just tell them you upgraded the system by
installing a new motherboard.

"Clint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03RKc.58459$od7.54698@pd7tw3no...
>' I have no idea if they'll give the OP a hard time since the product was

tied to a Dell box, however.
>
> Clint
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mals
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004, 10:34 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

I will try it out. And perhaps post an update there for others to know.

Thanks you all!

"WSZsr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:alXKc.15146$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> It will not be a problem. Just tell them you upgraded the system by
> installing a new motherboard.

\


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to replace CPU heatsink and fan Ajax Asus 5 12-02-2005 09:12 AM
Changing out stock heatsink on mobo for heatsink with fan John Barrington Asus 0 10-11-2004 03:44 PM
cpu heatsink and fan? DS Asus 17 09-15-2004 06:56 PM
Which CPU Heatsink and Fan? dave stockdale Gigabyte 6 02-08-2004 07:01 AM
Kapok 3300B Notebook - Laptop. Processor - CPU - Cooling Fan / Heatsink Fan john Laptops 0 10-17-2003 09:01 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment