constantine

Which would be the better CPU for sims such as FSX and LockOn -
E6850 - INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR, 3.00GHZ, 4MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB, LGA775
or
Q6600 - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSOR, 2.40GHZ, 8MB CACHE, 1066MHZ FSB, LGA775

Both seem to be around the same price, and I guess both FSX and LockOn (and
many other sims) will use only one core anyway? And finally is either CPU
overclockable?

Canuck

As for processors, I cannot help as I have lost the plot since pentium 3 -
just cant keep up with all the differing numbers. FSX with the SP1 patch
will utilise dual processors (and quads) however. I would not think that
matters so much with Lock on as it is relatively old now and was released
before duos and quads.

--
Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core at 2.40 Ghz
ATi Radeon X1950 w/512Mb RAM
"constantine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ae6Di.30453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which would be the better CPU for sims such as FSX and LockOn -
> E6850 - INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR, 3.00GHZ, 4MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB,
> LGA775
> or
> Q6600 - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSOR, 2.40GHZ, 8MB CACHE, 1066MHZ FSB,
> LGA775
>
> Both seem to be around the same price, and I guess both FSX and LockOn
> (and many other sims) will use only one core anyway? And finally is either
> CPU overclockable?

Al Brumski

Funny you should ask:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...uad-q6600.html

Both cpu's are compared head to head here.

I have an E6850 that performs extremely well with both fsx as well as
fs9. fsx with sp1 does utilize both cores.

Both processors are highly overclockable, make sure you get the G0
stepping in either case.

The 6850 is G0 by default, G0 is a new revision for the Q6600. This
revision results in a substantial decrease in thermal output thus
allowing for better overclocking with traditional cooling.

I'm on water and my best is 4.2 ghz orthos stable for ~0.5 hr.

Make sure you get a decent motherboard and ram to support these new
"beasts".

If you're not in a hurry, the new 45nm yorkfield should be available
around the holidays. 4 cores, new instruction sets, supposed to be
even more awesome, (but probably $$$$$)

Good Luck.

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 07:48:48 GMT, "Canuck" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>As for processors, I cannot help as I have lost the plot since pentium 3 -
>just cant keep up with all the differing numbers. FSX with the SP1 patch
>will utilise dual processors (and quads) however. I would not think that
>matters so much with Lock on as it is relatively old now and was released
>before duos and quads.

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)

Al

I have just built a new system comprising an Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi
nForce 680i motherboard (meant to be a beast on overclocking), Core 2
Duo E6850 cpu, 2gb of Crucial 10th anniversary DDR2 memory with
3.3.3.12 timings at 2.2v, XFX Geforce 8800 GTX Ultra XXX gpu, 2x 500
sata WD Caviar drives in RAID0 array yet I cannot get beyond a stable
3500mhz. I have tried everything ranging from having the memory
linked and reducing the timings, having it unlinked and back at
default 667mhz, increased vcore voltage from its default 1.3v right up
to 1.48v (just the once) but it still fails during 3Dmark05 if I'm
higher than 3600mhz. I had it at 3555 (395x9) but it failed during
Prime95 which I ran after STALKER crahing out on me. I have also
raised voltage a little to NB and SB but that didnt help. I have a
Zalmon 9500(?) heatsink on the cpu with Artic Silver compound and
Coretemp shows my temps between 10-35 degrees so heat is not an
issue. I wish I could get it higher but everything I'm trying just
gives me more problems.

Any other advice.

Ibby

Don Burnette

"Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Al
>
> I have just built a new system comprising an Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi
> nForce 680i motherboard (meant to be a beast on overclocking), Core 2
> Duo E6850 cpu, 2gb of Crucial 10th anniversary DDR2 memory with
> 3.3.3.12 timings at 2.2v, XFX Geforce 8800 GTX Ultra XXX gpu, 2x 500
> sata WD Caviar drives in RAID0 array yet I cannot get beyond a stable
> 3500mhz. I have tried everything ranging from having the memory
> linked and reducing the timings, having it unlinked and back at
> default 667mhz, increased vcore voltage from its default 1.3v right up
> to 1.48v (just the once) but it still fails during 3Dmark05 if I'm
> higher than 3600mhz. I had it at 3555 (395x9) but it failed during
> Prime95 which I ran after STALKER crahing out on me. I have also
> raised voltage a little to NB and SB but that didnt help. I have a
> Zalmon 9500(?) heatsink on the cpu with Artic Silver compound and
> Coretemp shows my temps between 10-35 degrees so heat is not an
> issue. I wish I could get it higher but everything I'm trying just
> gives me more problems.
>
> Any other advice.

Hey Ibby,

Your chip, is on the upper end of the Core2 Duo chips. You probably, are not
going to have as much headroom, for overclocking, as you might get
with say an E6600, which is what I have. If I am not mistaken, that E6850 is
a 3 ghz chip right? My E6600, is a 2.4 ghz chip, and I have it running
solid at 3.24 ghz. The E6600, more than likely, comes from the same wafer
as say the E6850, it is just the 6850 is rated to run at the higher speed.
I would say, if you can get that chip stable at say 3.3-3.5 ghz, you are
doing pretty good and are getting a decent overclock for it.

Having said that, you can always try to up the vcore some. If you had it set
to 1.48v in the bios, keep in mind the vdroop, the final vcore voltage is
probably
going to be lower than what you set in the bios, you can check this with a
program like CPUz. Mine, is set to auto, which in bios is 1.46v, however my
final vcore
voltage is actually 1.41v.
There are some that will throw 1.5v at these chips ( final voltage), I could
probably get my chip higher if I wanted to throw more voltage at it, I am
just not comfortable
doing so. If you do however, keep an eye on your temps measued with
something like CoreTemp, which will give you the temps of each core.

I also found it best, to run my ram unlinked at it's rated 1066 mhz speed
( pc8500), but I loosened up the timings a little over what it was rated
for, to keep the voltage down
some, some are reporting memory failures on the 680i running at 2.3v and up
on ram voltage. My ram is rated to run 1066 mhz, at 5-5-5-15, at 2.2v,
however I have mine running 5-5-5-18 at 1.95v.

--
Don

scott s.

"constantine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ae6Di.30453$(E-Mail Removed):

> Which would be the better CPU for sims such as FSX and LockOn -
> E6850 - INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR, 3.00GHZ, 4MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB,
> LGA775 or
> Q6600 - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSOR, 2.40GHZ, 8MB CACHE, 1066MHZ FSB,
> LGA775
>
> Both seem to be around the same price, and I guess both FSX and LockOn
> (and many other sims) will use only one core anyway? And finally is
> either CPU overclockable?

I am in the same situation, and went with the Q6600 G0 stepping
(SLACR). I figure even though 4 cores doen't show any benefit
over 2 in FSX, I can still clock it to 3.2 or so and have some future
proof. Here is an FSX test of quad vs duo on both XP and Vista:
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...topic_id=28727

scott s.
..

Al Brumski

Ibby,

Those temps are wrong.....

You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.

Tmax for your proc is 72C:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA9U

add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.

The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.

My results are here, you can also view my system specs:
http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html

(My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).

Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..

Load temps were ~62C...

Al

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 08:36:58 -0700, "Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known

On Sep 4, 10:09 pm, Al Brumski <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote:
> Ibby,
>
> Those temps are wrong.....
>
> You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
> assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
> means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:
>
> http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/
>
> Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.
>
> Tmax for your proc is 72C:http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA9U
>
> add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.
>
> The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.
>
> My results are here, you can also view my system specs:http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html
>
> (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).
>
> Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..
>
> Load temps were ~62C...
>
> Al

Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.

Ibby

notspecified

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sep 4, 10:09 pm, Al Brumski <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote:
> > Ibby,
> >
> > Those temps are wrong.....
> >
> > You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
> > assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
> > means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:
> >
> > http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/
> >
> > Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.
> >
> > Tmax for your proc is 72C:http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA9U
> >
> > add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.
> >
> > The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.
> >
> > My results are here, you can also view my system specs:http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html
> >
> > (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).
> >
> > Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..
> >
> > Load temps were ~62C...
> >
> > Al

> Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
> Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
> My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
> the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.
>
> Ibby

Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?

At this site:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...0_2.html#sect0

They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
overclocker than the 680i.

If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
stressing your system so much.

On Sep 4, 11:37 pm, notspecified <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

> > On Sep 4, 10:09 pm, Al Brumski <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote:
> > > Ibby,

> > > Those temps are wrong.....

> > > You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
> > > assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
> > > means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:

> > >http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

> > > Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.

> > > Tmax for your proc is 72C:http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA9U

> > > add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.

> > > The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.

> > > My results are here, you can also view my system specs:http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html

> > > (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).

> > > Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..

> > > Load temps were ~62C...

> > > Al

> > Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
> > Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
> > My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
> > the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.

> > Ibby

> Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
> about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
> would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
> guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
> 400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
> getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
> you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?
>
> At this site:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...q6600_2.html#s...
>
> They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
> 1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
> Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
> degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
> overclocker than the 680i.
>
> If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
> An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
> stressing your system so much.- Hide quoted text -

I'm now peaking at 50 degrees with the latest CoreTemp. Where are you
getting the 62 from?
My older E6600 was giving me a peak temp of 40 degrees but that was
running at 2850mhz in a poorer case.
May try a higher bus speed, its just a pain in the arse reseting the
BIOS even with the easy switch at the rear as the board then has
problems detecting the array before I can even get into the BIOS
setup. It then takes me a few attempts to get the clock speeds etc to
actually apply. They show correctly in the setup but then within
windows they are back at stock speeds.
Wish I could up the multiplier to 10 then lower the bus speed to get a
higher overall clock speed. I have read about a lot of board with a
'400 FSB wall'

Ibby

Ibby