cpu temp safe range

don

I have a 7 year old Delll Inspiron 8600 which seems like the fan is always
coming on more often than when I first got it..... I installed I8kfangui
software and raised the fan on setting to 70C for the CPU....
Just wondering what is the safe range for temperatures for the cpu and gpu
which is an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200......

Last year I had to replace the keyboard so I did clean out the fan about 8
months ago.

BillW50

In news:ih4gje$49u$(E-Mail Removed),
don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:54:10 -0500:
> I have a 7 year old Delll Inspiron 8600 which seems like the fan is
> always coming on more often than when I first got it..... I installed
> I8kfangui software and raised the fan on setting to 70C for the
> CPU.... Just wondering what is the safe range for temperatures for the
> cpu
> and gpu which is an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200......
>
> Last year I had to replace the keyboard so I did clean out the fan
> about 8 months ago.

I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the
manufactures say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have
lots of experience here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you
have. As the number of cores and the speed makes a big difference as far
as safe temps goes for one.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)

don

Sorry, its a Intel Pentium M processor 1400MHz 1.40 GHz 2.00 GB Ram

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ih4in9$ins$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the manufactures
> say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have lots of experience
> here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you have. As the number of
> cores and the speed makes a big difference as far as safe temps goes for
> one.

BillW50

In news:ih4n7g$81r$(E-Mail Removed),
don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:47:12 -0500:
> Sorry, its a Intel Pentium M processor 1400MHz 1.40 GHz 2.00 GB Ram
>
> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ih4in9$ins$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the
>> manufactures say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have
>> lots of experience here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you
>> have. As the number of cores and the speed makes a big difference as
>> far as safe temps goes for one.

Oh I know that one by heart! 168F (75C) is really pushing it, but they
can take it seemingly for years this way. Once it hits 180F (82C) is
really pushing it too and it seems it can take this for awhile (not for
years though). Although anything higher and I don't think it will last
too long.

Setting it to kick on the fan higher at 70C sounds good to me. Although
for non-high CPU tasks, the CPU should not even hit 150F (65C) and
that is where I would set it to kick on the fan higher. Although if it
becomes too annoying 70C should be fine.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)
Centrino Core2 Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

BillW50

In news:ih4u7d$ss2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
BillW50 typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:39:54 -0600:
> In news:ih4n7g$81r$(E-Mail Removed),
> don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:47:12 -0500:
>> Sorry, its a Intel Pentium M processor 1400MHz 1.40 GHz 2.00 GB Ram
>>
>> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ih4in9$ins$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the
>>> manufactures say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have
>>> lots of experience here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you
>>> have. As the number of cores and the speed makes a big difference as
>>> far as safe temps goes for one.

> Oh I know that one by heart! 168F (75C) is really pushing it, but
> they can take it seemingly for years this way. Once it hits 180F
> (82C) is really pushing it too and it seems it can take this for
> awhile (not for years though). Although anything higher and I don't
> think it will last too long.
>
> Setting it to kick on the fan higher at 70C sounds good to me.
> Although for non-high CPU tasks, the CPU should not even hit 150F
> (65C) and that is where I would set it to kick on the fan higher.
> Although if it becomes too annoying 70C should be fine.

I looked it up and Intel guarantees them to 100C. And some had claimed
they have pushed them up to 115C (by overclocking). I personally feel
uncomfortable with those figures though. As I know if you keep them
below 75C they seem to last forever.

Keep in mind, laptops generally don't always have very accurate sensors.
As I have one Gateway MX6124 that reads 10F to 40F lower than two
other ones I have here (the greater difference is the hotter it gets).
And I was playing 3D games on it and burned out the CPU in 6 weeks.
Although the CPU was running at 100% most of the time. And the sensors I
don't think ever read anything more than 70C. Although I know it was
much hotter than that and the sensors thought it was running really safe
and no need to kick the fan on high.

To check the sensor, what does it run at idle? Say the CPU use is 5% or
less for a few minutes? If you get a reading between 51C to 58C I
think that would be fairly accurate. The one that burned up on me read
about 49C at idle. The greater the CPU use, the greater the error was.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)
Centrino Core2 Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

don

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ih50pf$rsh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> To check the sensor, what does it run at idle? Say the CPU use is 5% or
> less for a few minutes? If you get a reading between 51C to 58C I think
> that would be fairly accurate.

When I first turn the laptop on at 1% CPU the temp reading is at 49C or 50C,
so I guess everything is ok for now.... thank-you very much for your
information..... I was just fearful of over riding the fan settings myself
because I had no idea what normal was?

This I8kfangui.exe program seems to be controlling the fans good now that I
raised the temps :-)
Please post the link to where your getting this info from if it is not too
much trouble.

BillW50

In news:ih5709$alb$(E-Mail Removed),
don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:16:26 -0500:
> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ih50pf$rsh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>

>> To check the sensor, what does it run at idle? Say the CPU use is 5%
>> or less for a few minutes? If you get a reading between 51C to 58C
>> I think that would be fairly accurate.

> When I first turn the laptop on at 1% CPU the temp reading is at 49C
> or 50C, so I guess everything is ok for now.... thank-you very much
> for your information..... I was just fearful of over riding the fan
> settings myself because I had no idea what normal was?
>
> This I8kfangui.exe program seems to be controlling the fans good now
> that I raised the temps :-)
> Please post the link to where your getting this info from if it is
> not too much trouble.

I don't know, but 49C and 50C sounds a bit on the low side to me. And
you can't see a big difference until you really push it. As CPU
temperature is almost as fast as CPU use. And if you have anything that
maxs the CPU out then what is it reading? If you normally don't have
anything that maxs it out, I have some tasks that will. One of them is
converting video formats to another. Format Factory is free and can max
out the CPU for you. Depending on the reading, you either have a very
efficient cooling system or a sensor reading too low. And I would let
the machine handle the fan and run it not more than a minute or two.
Then report the temperature.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)
Centrino Core2 Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Linea Recta

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:ih4gje$49u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 7 year old Delll Inspiron 8600 which seems like the fan is always
>coming on more often than when I first got it..... I installed I8kfangui
>software and raised the fan on setting to 70C for the CPU....
> Just wondering what is the safe range for temperatures for the cpu and gpu
> which is an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200......
>
> Last year I had to replace the keyboard so I did clean out the fan about 8
> months ago.

I assume this is a program to control temperature settings? Does this work
on other brands notebooks too?
I have been coping with high GPU temperatures in the past.
I would surely like to know a way to manipulate the max temp down.
After several mainboard replacements the GPU temp again reaches up to 70 C
(Everest) nowadays.

17-inch Medion Akoya MODEL: MIM2300 (MD 96662)
os: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

don

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4d36f0c7$0$81482$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:ih4gje$49u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I assume this is a program to control temperature settings? Does this work
> on other brands notebooks too?
> I have been coping with high GPU temperatures in the past.
> I would surely like to know a way to manipulate the max temp down.
> After several mainboard replacements the GPU temp again reaches up to 70 C
> (Everest) nowadays.
>
> 17-inch Medion Akoya MODEL: MIM2300 (MD 96662)
> os: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

This program was written specifically for Dell so I am not sure if it will
work for yours, but I know
there are plenty of others out there online. The nice feature it has is I
can turn on both laptop fans on high when I want to. It also displays the
Temps in tiny icons on the taskbar so I can keep and eye on them. Below is
what I just found on Google..... hope it helps.....

Today, most laptops come bundled with software that is designed to serve as
a temperature monitor or sensor that tracks and monitors your laptops
temperature. Before you purchase a third party application or hardware,
check to see whether your laptops manufacturer has such an application
pre-installed for monitoring CPU temperature. Follow the programs
instructions to track your laptops temperature.

Third Party Applications
If you laptop does not come with a pre-installed application for monitoring
its temperature, you can download a third party application. One such
program is MobileMeter, a system monitoring application developed
specifically for laptops. Free to download and use, it will track and
monitor your CPU and hard drives temperature. One downside to using this
application is that it does strain system resources.

1.. Download the MobileMeter from Softpedia, and unzip the compressed
file.
2.. Open and run the executable file
3.. MobileMeter will display your laptops current CPU and hard drive
temperature as well as its processor frequency and battery power.

Read more:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/h...#ixzz1BVgrTeS0

Linea Recta

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:ih7d69$ldn$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4d36f0c7$0$81482$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>> "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:ih4gje$49u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I assume this is a program to control temperature settings? Does this
>> work on other brands notebooks too?
>> I have been coping with high GPU temperatures in the past.
>> I would surely like to know a way to manipulate the max temp down.
>> After several mainboard replacements the GPU temp again reaches up to 70
>> C (Everest) nowadays.
>>
>> 17-inch Medion Akoya MODEL: MIM2300 (MD 96662)
>> os: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

> This program was written specifically for Dell so I am not sure if it will
> work for yours, but I know
> there are plenty of others out there online. The nice feature it has is I
> can turn on both laptop fans on high when I want to. It also displays the
> Temps in tiny icons on the taskbar so I can keep and eye on them. Below is
> what I just found on Google..... hope it helps.....

hi Don,

I already monitor the temperatures (CPU, GPU, MB) with Everest. They are
displayed as icons on the taskbar, hence I know GPU reaches temperatures up
to 70 C.
But monitoring is one thing, controlling is something else. I can't control
the temperatures any way that I know of.
As I wrote, my main concern is the Gpu temperature, not the Cpu's. And GPU
is not mentioned in the article on your link...
The notebook was not bundled with this kind of software.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk