cpu upgrade to a SN41G2

robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com

HI,
As a programmer who has never got into the hardware side of computing
I would like to ask a coiuple of questions here.

I have just bought a SN41G2 with a socket A athlon xp 2600+ chip and
would like to give it a bit more life by upgrading the cpu.
I understand from my basic research that as a maximum I could put a
athlon xp barton 3000+ into a socket a board. Is that right ?

And my next question is - Would you recommend a complete beginner to
be able to swap the cpus ?

The specs are below

Regards
Rob

Mainboard
Shuttle FN41, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for SN41G2
chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (Crush 18G)
Award V6.0PG BIOS, 4MBit flash memory
with hardware monitoring and ACPI power management functions
dimensions: 25.4 x 18.5 cm

Power supply unit
200 Watt mini PSU, supports 115/230V
connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V

Processor support
Socket A supports AMD Athlon XP und Duron processors
at 333, 266 oder 200 FSB, supports Sempron,
supports Burn Proof CPU protection for Athlon XP

Memory support
2 x 184 pin slots, supports Dual Channel
supports PC3200/2700/2100/1600 (DDR400/333/266/200) DDR SDRAM memory
up to a total size of 2GB
Caution: DDR400 is only supported in conjunction with an additional
(plugged-in) AGP-graphics card
no support of buffered or ECC-modules

Eric Parker

"robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> HI,
> As a programmer who has never got into the hardware side of computing
> I would like to ask a coiuple of questions here.
>
> I have just bought a SN41G2 with a socket A athlon xp 2600+ chip and
> would like to give it a bit more life by upgrading the cpu.
> I understand from my basic research that as a maximum I could put a
> athlon xp barton 3000+ into a socket a board. Is that right ?
>
> And my next question is - Would you recommend a complete beginner to
> be able to swap the cpus ?
>
> The specs are below
>
> Regards
> Rob
>
> Mainboard
> Shuttle FN41, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for SN41G2
> chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (Crush 18G)
> Award V6.0PG BIOS, 4MBit flash memory
> with hardware monitoring and ACPI power management functions
> dimensions: 25.4 x 18.5 cm
>
> Power supply unit
> 200 Watt mini PSU, supports 115/230V
> connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V
>
> Processor support
> Socket A supports AMD Athlon XP und Duron processors
> at 333, 266 oder 200 FSB, supports Sempron,
> supports Burn Proof CPU protection for Athlon XP
>
> Memory support
> 2 x 184 pin slots, supports Dual Channel
> supports PC3200/2700/2100/1600 (DDR400/333/266/200) DDR SDRAM memory
> up to a total size of 2GB
> Caution: DDR400 is only supported in conjunction with an additional
> (plugged-in) AGP-graphics card
> no support of buffered or ECC-modules

Not too difficult.
Usual rider here that it is done at your own risk.
I am not responsible for any disasters that may arise.
Do you have the manual ?

You have to remove the heatsink and clean it. Removing any old thermal
paste.
Make sure the new CPU is clean on top of the chip.
Swap them over, paying heed to anti static measures.
Add a small amount of thermal paste to the top of the new CPU chip. The
paste
is there to fill the small gaps due to manufacturing imperfections in
the surfaces.
Replace the heatsink taking great care not to tighten one edge more than
another.
It is easy to crack one edge if the heatsink is not tightened on all
sides at the same
time.

I'd clear the CMOS.
Then adjust the BIOS settings if needed to get the most out of the CPU.

First use Memtest to make sure the CPU & memory do not have issues.
One complete pass.

Then use motherboard monitor to check the CPU temperature and run
Prime95
torture test overnight. Make sure the CPU temp does not go over 60C and
no
errors are returned.

If that works then you are away.

One further point about those Shuttles.
I built about 8 of them 3-4 years ago.
I've since replaced 6 of their PSUs.
I expect to replace the others soon.
It is the capacitor problem, swelling & leakage.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com

On 20 Aug, 10:06, "Eric Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> [...]

> time.
>
> I'd clear the CMOS.
> Then adjust the BIOS settings if needed to get the most out of the CPU.
>
> First use Memtest to make sure the CPU & memory do not have issues.
> One complete pass.
>
> Then use motherboard monitor to check the CPU temperature and run
> Prime95
> torture test overnight. Make sure the CPU temp does not go over 60C and
> no
> errors are returned.
>
> If that works then you are away.
>
> One further point about those Shuttles.
> I built about 8 of them 3-4 years ago.
> I've since replaced 6 of their PSUs.
> I expect to replace the others soon.
> It is the capacitor problem, swelling & leakage.
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Remove the dross to contact me directly- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that full reply.
I don't have a manual but I expect to be able to find one at the
shuttle site.
It seems reading your instructions that if I take it slowly and
methodically I *should* be ok.

If I were to replace the psu at some point presumably I could up the
wattage ?

I can possibly imagine myself enjoying tinkering inside a box now -
many thanks
Rob

joesmith

yeah but is is worth it ... I can only picture it might be worth it if
you have a 2600 with a 266 FSB and 256K cache. and I still you are only
moving to the 3000 with 333 FSB and 512K cache. that is not a big leap
At that point pop the system on Ebay ( believe it or not you can still
get $100-$200 for that system) and get a new one.
especially if you have that crap 200W Achme supply... that is waiting to
die on you

robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com wrote:
> HI,
> As a programmer who has never got into the hardware side of computing
> I would like to ask a coiuple of questions here.
>
> I have just bought a SN41G2 with a socket A athlon xp 2600+ chip and
> would like to give it a bit more life by upgrading the cpu.
> I understand from my basic research that as a maximum I could put a
> athlon xp barton 3000+ into a socket a board. Is that right ?
>
> And my next question is - Would you recommend a complete beginner to
> be able to swap the cpus ?
>
> The specs are below
>
> Regards
> Rob
>
> Mainboard
> Shuttle FN41, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for SN41G2
> chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (Crush 18G)
> Award V6.0PG BIOS, 4MBit flash memory
> with hardware monitoring and ACPI power management functions
> dimensions: 25.4 x 18.5 cm
>
> Power supply unit
> 200 Watt mini PSU, supports 115/230V
> connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V
>
> Processor support
> Socket A supports AMD Athlon XP und Duron processors
> at 333, 266 oder 200 FSB, supports Sempron,
> supports Burn Proof CPU protection for Athlon XP
>
> Memory support
> 2 x 184 pin slots, supports Dual Channel
> supports PC3200/2700/2100/1600 (DDR400/333/266/200) DDR SDRAM memory
> up to a total size of 2GB
> Caution: DDR400 is only supported in conjunction with an additional
> (plugged-in) AGP-graphics card
> no support of buffered or ECC-modules

Eric Parker

"robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> Thanks for that full reply.
> I don't have a manual but I expect to be able to find one at the
> shuttle site.
> It seems reading your instructions that if I take it slowly and
> methodically I *should* be ok.
>
> If I were to replace the psu at some point presumably I could up the
> wattage ?
>
> I can possibly imagine myself enjoying tinkering inside a box now -
> many thanks
> Rob

If you can't locate the manual I have a copy.

Yes there are 250 & 300 watt PSUs that will fit.

Good luck.

Eric
--

On 20 Aug, 13:05, joesmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> yeah but is is worth it ... I can only picture it might be worth it if
> you have a 2600 with a 266 FSB and 256K cache. and I still you are only
> moving to the 3000 with 333 FSB and 512K cache. that is not a big leap
> At that point pop the system on Ebay ( believe it or not you can still
> get $100-$200 for that system) and get a new one.
> especially if you have that crap 200W Achme supply... that is waiting to
> die on you
>

> robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com wrote:
> > HI,
> > As a programmer who has never got into the hardware side of computing
> > I would like to ask a coiuple of questions here.

> > I have just bought a SN41G2 with a socket A athlon xp 2600+ chip and
> > would like to give it a bit more life by upgrading the cpu.
> > I understand from my basic research that as a maximum I could put a
> > athlon xp barton 3000+ into a socket a board. Is that right ?

> > And my next question is - Would you recommend a complete beginner to
> > be able to swap the cpus ?

> > The specs are below

> > Regards
> > Rob

> > Mainboard
> > Shuttle FN41, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for SN41G2
> > chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (Crush 18G)
> > Award V6.0PG BIOS, 4MBit flash memory
> > with hardware monitoring and ACPI power management functions
> > dimensions: 25.4 x 18.5 cm

> > Power supply unit
> > 200 Watt mini PSU, supports 115/230V
> > connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V

> > Processor support
> > Socket A supports AMD Athlon XP und Duron processors
> > at 333, 266 oder 200 FSB, supports Sempron,
> > supports Burn Proof CPU protection for Athlon XP

> > Memory support
> > 2 x 184 pin slots, supports Dual Channel
> > supports PC3200/2700/2100/1600 (DDR400/333/266/200) DDR SDRAM memory
> > up to a total size of 2GB
> > Caution: DDR400 is only supported in conjunction with an additional
> > (plugged-in) AGP-graphics card
> > no support of buffered or ECC-modules- Hide quoted text -

I take your point about the financial sense of doing it - but I really
like the look of these machines and want to keep it as much up to date
as possible. Maybe the whole board can be updated in time ?

robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com

On 20 Aug, 13:05, joesmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> yeah but is is worth it ... I can only picture it might be worth it if
> you have a 2600 with a 266 FSB and 256K cache. and I still you are only
> moving to the 3000 with 333 FSB and 512K cache. that is not a big leap
> At that point pop the system on Ebay ( believe it or not you can still
> get $100-$200 for that system) and get a new one.
> especially if you have that crap 200W Achme supply... that is waiting to
> die on you
>

> robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com wrote:
> > HI,
> > As a programmer who has never got into the hardware side of computing
> > I would like to ask a coiuple of questions here.

> > I have just bought a SN41G2 with a socket A athlon xp 2600+ chip and
> > would like to give it a bit more life by upgrading the cpu.
> > I understand from my basic research that as a maximum I could put a
> > athlon xp barton 3000+ into a socket a board. Is that right ?

> > And my next question is - Would you recommend a complete beginner to
> > be able to swap the cpus ?

> > The specs are below

> > Regards
> > Rob

> > Mainboard
> > Shuttle FN41, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for SN41G2
> > chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (Crush 18G)
> > Award V6.0PG BIOS, 4MBit flash memory
> > with hardware monitoring and ACPI power management functions
> > dimensions: 25.4 x 18.5 cm

> > Power supply unit
> > 200 Watt mini PSU, supports 115/230V
> > connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V

> > Processor support
> > Socket A supports AMD Athlon XP und Duron processors
> > at 333, 266 oder 200 FSB, supports Sempron,
> > supports Burn Proof CPU protection for Athlon XP

> > Memory support
> > 2 x 184 pin slots, supports Dual Channel
> > supports PC3200/2700/2100/1600 (DDR400/333/266/200) DDR SDRAM memory
> > up to a total size of 2GB
> > Caution: DDR400 is only supported in conjunction with an additional
> > (plugged-in) AGP-graphics card
> > no support of buffered or ECC-modules- Hide quoted text -

I take your point about the financial sense of doing it - but I really
like the look of these machines and want to keep it as much up to date
as possible. Maybe the whole board can be updated in time ?

joesmith

doubt you can upgrade the board.... the shuttles are design around the
case idea...so the whole thing is pretty much customized.

if you really like the shuttle... they make new ones for new cpus
I am thinking of getting a Core2 one that supports a quad core
an athlon 2600 to 3000 just doesn't seem like it is worth the upgrade
IMHO.

I used my sn41g2 over the years and have to admit I loved it..
it just worked and that is the true sign of quality
I used it as a PVR 24/7
low power, quiet , and the only really problem was the crappy PS.
it died 2 weeks ago during a storm ...now it won't power up
I miss it..but now I think it is time to move on

like I said you can get at least $100 buck probably close to $200 on
ebay for a working ( hell my broken one will go for at least $50)
a new shuttle kit is $200-$300 depending on options
so all you need to pay for is the cpus and dimms
memory has fallen through the floor lately 2 gig is under a hundered
after rebates even less ( check slick deals ) and a basic dual core cpu
would smoke a 3000 easy .By september an intel quad core will be under
$200 according to what I am reading.

a 3000 will run you $50 on ebay ( being the fastest cpu most socket A
boards can run it cost more than say a 2800)

SO yeah it is only $50 buck for the upgrade to 3000..but you get a very
small return. where as you spend say $250 ( after selling the old one)
and you get something smokin' fast comparably, relatively new and will
last you a lot longer... I don't see anything requiring a dual core soon
never mind a quad core.

I don't know your finances ...but I would either wait till I could
afford the new system or do the $250 upgrade
A 3000 is just not worth it unless you find one for really low money

whoops for got about the video card , a sn41g2 uses internal or AGP
so if you are using internal then you would need that option. if not a
basic Nvidia would do the trick at $50-$200 depending on option

robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com wrote:
> On 20 Aug, 13:05, joesmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> yeah but is is worth it ... I can only picture it might be worth it if
>> you have a 2600 with a 266 FSB and 256K cache. and I still you are only
>> moving to the 3000 with 333 FSB and 512K cache. that is not a big leap
>> At that point pop the system on Ebay ( believe it or not you can still
>> get $100-$200 for that system) and get a new one.
>> especially if you have that crap 200W Achme supply... that is waiting to
>> die on you
>>

>> robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com wrote:
>>> HI,
>>> As a programmer who has never got into the hardware side of computing
>>> I would like to ask a coiuple of questions here.
>>> I have just bought a SN41G2 with a socket A athlon xp 2600+ chip and
>>> would like to give it a bit more life by upgrading the cpu.
>>> I understand from my basic research that as a maximum I could put a
>>> athlon xp barton 3000+ into a socket a board. Is that right ?
>>> And my next question is - Would you recommend a complete beginner to
>>> be able to swap the cpus ?
>>> The specs are below
>>> Regards
>>> Rob

On Aug 21, 2:04 pm, joesmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> doubt you can upgrade the board.... the shuttles are design around the
> case idea...so the whole thing is pretty much customized.
>
> if you really like the shuttle... they make new ones for new cpus
> I am thinking of getting a Core2 one that supports a quad core
> an athlon 2600 to 3000 just doesn't seem like it is worth the upgrade
> IMHO.
>
> I used my sn41g2 over the years and have to admit I loved it..
> it just worked and that is the true sign of quality
> I used it as a PVR 24/7
> low power, quiet , and the only really problem was the crappy PS.
> it died 2 weeks ago during a storm ...now it won't power up
> I miss it..but now I think it is time to move on
>
> like I said you can get at least $100 buck probably close to $200 on
> ebay for a working ( hell my broken one will go for at least $50)
> a new shuttle kit is $200-$300 depending on options
> so all you need to pay for is the cpus and dimms
> memory has fallen through the floor lately 2 gig is under a hundered
> after rebates even less ( check slick deals ) and a basic dual core cpu
> would smoke a 3000 easy .By september an intel quad core will be under
> $200 according to what I am reading.
>
> a 3000 will run you $50 on ebay ( being the fastest cpu most socket A
> boards can run it cost more than say a 2800)
>
> SO yeah it is only $50 buck for the upgrade to 3000..but you get a very
> small return. where as you spend say $250 ( after selling the old one)
> and you get something smokin' fast comparably, relatively new and will
> last you a lot longer... I don't see anything requiring a dual core soon
> never mind a quad core.
>
> I don't know your finances ...but I would either wait till I could
> afford the new system or do the $250 upgrade
> A 3000 is just not worth it unless you find one for really low money
>
> whoops for got about the video card , a sn41g2 uses internal or AGP
> so if you are using internal then you would need that option. if not a
> basic Nvidia would do the trick at $50-$200 depending on option
>

> robertpayneemail**at**googlemail.com wrote:
> > On 20 Aug, 13:05, joesmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> yeah but is is worth it ... I can only picture it might be worth it if
> >> you have a 2600 with a 266 FSB and 256K cache. and I still you are only
> >> moving to the 3000 with 333 FSB and 512K cache. that is not a big leap
> >> At that point pop the system on Ebay ( believe it or not you can still
> >> get $100-$200 for that system) and get a new one.
> >> especially if you have that crap 200W Achme supply... that is waiting to
> >> die on you

> > I take your point about the financial sense of doing it - but I really
> > like the look of these machines and want to keep it as much up to date
> > as possible. Maybe the whole board can be updated in time ?- Hide quoted text -

what you say makes a lot of sense - and I think in time I probably
will buy a completely new shuttle but for the moment I prefer the
design of this version to the latest completely minmal style. I can
always use my sn41g2 as a basic hdd recorder for the TV when I want to
move on.
infact I already have a dual core machine for my serious needs
(althought I'm not a gamer) so the shuttle thing is more of an eye
candy purchase. And if I can learn a bit about hardware upgrading -
more the better.

Thanks for your thoughts

joesmith

not to challenge you .. but
> I prefer the design of this version to the latest completely minmal style

What do you mean they look almost identical .a small silver or black box
unless you are talking about those mini systems that look like a shrunk
mid tower
here look at this one

learn about building systems is a good thing...but you won't learn much
from a shuttle ( just not enough to put together )not like the old 486
days where you need a video card ,audio card,disk controller card lan
and modem.. they are all built in now a days
I remember a p90 that mobo and video card would cause a problem with the
disk controller ( uggggh that took about 2 weeks of MS tech suppport to
figure out, luckily it was free) those problems are solve

then again.. a shuttle is good for learning to get into tight places