Glasspider

I plan to upgrade my single core Athlon 3200+ CPU to a double core X2
3600+ on my K8N Neo4. I'd like to keep the same WinXP install. Should I
reset the bios? Will WinXP recognize the new processor on startup or
will I have to do a repair install?

Any advice is appreciated.

'pider

Zadok

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:24:59 -0500, Glasspider
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I plan to upgrade my single core Athlon 3200+ CPU to a double core X2
>3600+ on my K8N Neo4. I'd like to keep the same WinXP install. Should I
>reset the bios? Will WinXP recognize the new processor on startup or
>will I have to do a repair install?
>
>Any advice is appreciated.
>
>'pider

This board can use any Socket 939 Athlon64/FX processor while X2 3600+
is AMD2 socket. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Zadok
('')

kev

On 31 Jan 2008, the world was enlightened by Zadok's opinion about...

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:24:59 -0500, Glasspider
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I plan to upgrade my single core Athlon 3200+ CPU to a double core X2
>>3600+ on my K8N Neo4. I'd like to keep the same WinXP install. Should I
>>reset the bios? Will WinXP recognize the new processor on startup or
>>will I have to do a repair install?
>>
>>Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>'pider

> This board can use any Socket 939 Athlon64/FX processor while X2 3600+
> is AMD2 socket. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> -- Zado

It's a 939. A cache reduced Manchester (2x256KB L2) - ADA3600DAA4BV. Not offically
listed at AMD and is supected to be a value processor that a box maker is liquidating.
NewEgg is blowing them out for $53.99 at the moment.

kev

--
You're the reason my dog is pregnant, aren't you?

The Eeeevil Cabal's Nine of Spades.
Wickeddoll's on-demand FP guru.

kev

On 31 Jan 2008, the world was enlightened by Glasspider's opinion about...

> I plan to upgrade my single core Athlon 3200+ CPU to a double core X2
> 3600+ on my K8N Neo4. I'd like to keep the same WinXP install. Should I
> reset the bios? Will WinXP recognize the new processor on startup or
> will I have to do a repair install?
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> 'pider

When I went from a 3000+ Winnie to a X2 4400+ Toledo, XP Pro SP2 picked up the processor
change without skipping a beat. An update your BIOS to the latest version might be needed
before you swap processors.

HTH,

kev

--
Clones are people two.

The Eeeevil Cabal's Nine of Spades.
Wickeddoll's on-demand FP guru.

Glasspider

That is the one. I couldn't resist the price.

'pider

kev wrote:

> It's a 939. A cache reduced Manchester (2x256KB L2) - ADA3600DAA4BV. Not offically
> listed at AMD and is supected to be a value processor that a box maker is liquidating.
> NewEgg is blowing them out for $53.99 at the moment.
>

> kev

Glasspider

Thanks kev, that is good news. I have the latest bios version with X2
support.
Did you have to reset the CMOS?

'pider

kev wrote:

> When I went from a 3000+ Winnie to a X2 4400+ Toledo, XP Pro SP2 picked up the processor
> change without skipping a beat. An update your BIOS to the latest version might be needed
> before you swap processors.
>
> HTH,
>
> kev

kev

On 31 Jan 2008, the world was enlightened by Glasspider's opinion about...

> Thanks kev, that is good news. I have the latest bios version with X2
> support.
> Did you have to reset the CMOS?
>
> 'pider
>
> kev wrote:
>>
>> When I went from a 3000+ Winnie to a X2 4400+ Toledo, XP Pro SP2 picked
>> up the processor change without skipping a beat. An update your BIOS
>> to the latest version might be needed before you swap processors.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> kev

Nope. I just made sure everything was powered down before I swapped.

kev

--
Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to
your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Eeeevil Cabal's Nine of Spades.
Wickeddoll's on-demand FP guru.

Glasspider

That was a painless upgrade. I was worried for nothing. WinXP identified
the processor and made its adjustments on the fly. All that was required
was a reboot.

The speed isn't much faster, but I really notice the doubled power. It
has made a significant impact on encoding times and when I'm
multi-tasking. I consider it $50 well spent.

thanks again,

'pider

kev wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2008, the world was enlightened by Glasspider's opinion about...
>
>> Thanks kev, that is good news. I have the latest bios version with X2
>> support.
>> Did you have to reset the CMOS?
>>
>> 'pider
>>
>> kev wrote:
>>> When I went from a 3000+ Winnie to a X2 4400+ Toledo, XP Pro SP2 picked
>>> up the processor change without skipping a beat. An update your BIOS
>>> to the latest version might be needed before you swap processors.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> kev
>>>

> Nope. I just made sure everything was powered down before I swapped.
>

> kev

kev

On 01 Feb 2008, the world was enlightened by Glasspider's opinion about...

> That was a painless upgrade. I was worried for nothing. WinXP identified
> the processor and made its adjustments on the fly. All that was required
> was a reboot.
>
> The speed isn't much faster, but I really notice the doubled power. It
> has made a significant impact on encoding times and when I'm
> multi-tasking. I consider it $50 well spent.
>
> thanks again,
>
> 'pider

I'm glad that everything went well.

kev

--
I remember when Saturns were rockets, not cars.