CPU water cooling, Core 2 Duo edition

Phil Weldon

I am planning to combine parts in my junk box plus a few new items into a
CPU cooler. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

1. Since I happen to have two CPU water blocks, I thought I might use one
for the CPU and mount the cold side of a Peltier array on the other water
block. I have a large (10" X 10") radiator and several water pumps plus a
few high speed 120 mm fans. The water circulation pattern I envision would
be

Pump -> cold_side_Peltier_water_block -> CPU_water_block -> radiator ->

2. Perhaps with a reservior, perhaps just with a filler Tee and a bleed
valve or two (Luher Lock).

3. For this arrangement the hot side of the Peltier array would be a
disused CPU heatsink/fan.

4. Using a Peltier array (or two or three) with a separate water block
rather than between the CPU and the water block enables the use of one 90
Watt tMax or so Peltier array that would always cool, and that could not
turn into an insulator or worse if the CPU power dissipation exceeded tMax
or even if the Peltier array failed.

5. As an alternative to the air cooled Peltier array I could use a third
water block; then the circulation would be

Pump -> Peltier_cold_side_water_bock -> CPU_water_block ->
Peltier_hot_side_water_block -> radiator

6. As long as the radiator cooling capacity is sufficient there would still
be lower CPU water block temperature.

7. Additional air cooled Peltier arrays could easily and inexpensively
added. Additional water cooled Peltier arrays would either get very
expensive or require a bit of machine work (somewhere I have a block of
copper about 2.5" X 1" X 6" that could be bored, machined, and fitted with
barbed tubing connectors.

Two interesting gadgets for cooling:
** A non-contact thermometer with a 1:1 field of veiw and readings in
Fahrenheit (-27 to 230 degrees) or Celsius (-33 to 110 degrees); $9.95 US at
Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93983 .

** Coolant flow meter, Koolance INS-FM15, $24.95 US at
<
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110575+50001617& name=KOOLANCE+Inc.> .
This flow meter has a four pin header connector that seems as if it could
used with a motherboard fan connector to report the flow rate as a fan tach
(and power a blue LED). Koolance has a control & report board that will
mount in a PCI slot or drive bay and report flow rates, fan speeds, and
temperatures with charts and logs. This is expensive at $100 US. I ordered
the flow meter in the hope that I could get it to work with a motherboard
fan header. I'll report the results after it arrives next week.

Phil Weldon