Crossbow mouse

Lyn

I've grown quite fond of my PC's rolley wheel thingy, the
central wheel button which lets me scroll a page using a
finger rather than moving the mouse. Sorry, I'm not sure
what to call it. I'm wondering if I can get something
comparable for my SunBlade system. I've checked the Sun
site and found a mention of something called a "Crossbow
Mouse", but no pictures or pricing info. I believe you also
have to have a type-6 keyboard to use it. Not sure what I
have.

Is it possible to program Solaris to make use of a PC mouse
with a roll wheel?

My cramped fingers appreciate any info.

Cheers,
Lyn

Anthony Mandic

Lyn wrote:

> I've grown quite fond of my PC's rolley wheel thingy, the
> central wheel button which lets me scroll a page using a
> finger rather than moving the mouse. Sorry, I'm not sure
> what to call it.

It generally called a wheel mouse. Its not really very
good when you have a lot of scolling to do since you
need to keep rolling the wheel. What I find to be better
is the IBM mouse with the toggle button rather than a
wheel. You just toggle and hold and it does the same thing
the wheel does but without you having to do anything. Not
sure why they had to add the silly blue LED to it though.

> I'm wondering if I can get something
> comparable for my SunBlade system. I've checked the Sun
> site and found a mention of something called a "Crossbow
> Mouse", but no pictures or pricing info. I believe you also
> have to have a type-6 keyboard to use it. Not sure what I
> have.

A crossbow mouse is a regular 3 button mouse but with a slightly
longer, thin and flatter shape than the type 5 mouse.

> Is it possible to program Solaris to make use of a PC mouse
> with a roll wheel?

First you need a compatible interface (i.e. USB) and
then you'd need a driver to support it.

-am 2003