Crytek: Next-Gen Console Hardware Locked Down Next Year, Out In2012-2013, Epic Agrees

parallax-scroll

During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
platform.

Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
fewsurprises for the consoles.

On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
them all.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...ext-month.aspx

Miles Bader

Geez, that sounds like a press-release...

-miles

--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"

parallax-scroll

On Sep 20, 1:18*am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> MS is going use theWiistradegy and turn the 720 into a Celeron300A
> (moddable to 450MHZ) and Intel i740. *Sony to not be outdone will buy NexGen
> from AMD so they can they have the only console with a NexGen CPU. *It will
> use use a Nx686 180MHZ (PR233) and S3 Virge with a PCI slot for a Voodoo1
> upgrade. *Nintendo will just duct tape 2Donkey Kongarcade cabinets
> together (dual Z80s!) and call it a day.

LOL.

ksdj1@webtv.net

Where's that ONLIVE bs in all of this?

Didn't they say Crysis was running?

Yeah sure ok

alMIGHTY

On Sep 20, 1:25*am, parallax-scroll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
> Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
> that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
> platform.
>
> Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
> scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
> thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
> CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
> there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
> fewsurprises for the consoles.
>
> On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
> running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
> extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
> refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
> cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.
>
> Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
> optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
> for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
> targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
> the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
> console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
> out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
> matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
> into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
> 2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.
>
> Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
> water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
> interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
> CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
> them all.
>
> http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...cryengine-30-s...

Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

alMIGHTY

On Sep 20, 2:13*am, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "parallax-scroll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
> > Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
> > that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
> > platform.

> > Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
> > scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
> > thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
> > CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
> > there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
> > fewsurprises for the consoles.

> > On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
> > running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
> > extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
> > refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
> > cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

> > Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
> > optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
> > for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
> > targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
> > the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
> > console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
> > out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
> > matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
> > into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
> > 2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

> > Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
> > water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
> > interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
> > CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
> > them all.

> >http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...cryengine-30-s...

> A little off-topic, but anyway:
>
> I am seriously thinking of getting a very high end gaming rig (I am tiredof
> nothing getting better on the 360 for looks)

Which is why we need another console generation to start sooner rather
than later! I take back my previous message in this thread! 2011,
gentlemen... please!

> and I want RPGs

It doesn't seem like there are very many of those on any platform
besides the DS.

> and good RTS
> game, there are too few for me. So when I read about the DX11 coming out on
> ATI's next 5000 series cards, I began holding back, because Nvidia will
> follow suit, and though typically more expensive, Nvidia almost always has
> issues solved with the driver support whereas ATI take too much time on
> newer cards.
>
> Having said this and reading what this article states, I am now wonderingif
> I should wait for those cards simply because it doesn't seem that DX11 is
> going to be an issue for necessity for a few years to come; hell, many
> current games still use DX9.

alMIGHTY

On Sep 20, 9:40*am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Where's that ONLIVE bs in all of this?
>
> Didn't they say Crysis was running?
>
> Yeah sure ok

I tried to warn you way back when not to get your hopes up for that
bullshit...

alMIGHTY

On Sep 21, 12:31*am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OnLive is going to use the IP over avian transport protocol.http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/104393
> You play your game on a blank screen then they send the video on a memory
> card.

LOL. Imagine trying to play an entire game like that.

Mitch

alMIGHTY wrote:
> On Sep 21, 12:31 am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> OnLive is going to use the IP over avian transport protocol.http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/104393
>> You play your game on a blank screen then they send the video on a memory
>> card.

> LOL. Imagine trying to play an entire game like that.

It would work for chess. :-)

Memnoch

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:02:57 -0700 (PDT), alMIGHTY <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...cryengine-30-s...

>Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.