D845GBV on-board graphics driver, Win2000

Tom

Hi,

I have a D845GBV motherboard that I have been happy with, using with
Win2000 and the on-board graphics. I remember when I first got it, that I
had a some problem with it, and had to download something from the net to
get it working, but I didn't take any notes. Now after re-partitioning and
reinstalling Win2000 I can't get it working again in more than basic VGA
(16 color) mode.

Details:
I install my W2K w/SP2 from CD, everything is fine. I install drivers from
the Intel Express Installer CD. Everthing installs fine, except the
graphics driver message is something like "install failed - component
error".

I went to the Intel support site, download the latest INFINST_ENU and
graphics driver, and follow instructions. The INFINST_ENU gets an error
during install, something abount component missing. If I go into the
archives and get an older version of INFINST_ENU (v3.2), it installs OK.

After the INF updates, I install the graphics driver, picking 82845 video
chip. After rebooting, I'm still stuck with 16 bit color (right-click
on desktop, settings tab, no choices above 16 color available). If I go
into device manager and check driver status, it says "code 10 - driver did
not start".

It shouldn't matter, but the BIOS version is P17, and I haven't updated
the BIOS or changed settings since the last time the system worked in
better resolution/colors in Win2000 - a week ago. Also, I have no problem
in Linux (Fedora core 1/2).

Anyway, I've spent hours/days on this, so any thoughts will be appreciated.

NewsPoster

Tom,
I had a similar problem. In my case, my machine had garbeled screen
after I booted up. WIN2K would not have problems booting in safe mode,
however if the display driver is enabled it would not boot. I thought
it was a corrupt driver and tried reinstalling the latest version, but
would not help. So I reinstalled W2K and still had the same problem.

I spoke with Intel technical support and they said that they are
lately receiving a lot of calls on the boards based on this chipset
and could be because of a faulty 82845 chip. They have asked me to
send the board, so that they could send me a replacement.

Sorry, I could not help you fix the problem but atleast the above
information may help you get a warranty replacement.