D865GBF Cannot detect both IDE channels

Buggy

Hi,

i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.

In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
Enhanced and Legacy.

When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
they are
NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.

When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.

right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
Channel

Intel P4 2.4Ghz
512mb DDR 400
On board graphics
On board audio

I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.

Thank you!

Bob Bailin

"Buggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
> detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.
>
> In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
> Enhanced and Legacy.
>
> When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
> they are
> NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.
>
> When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
> are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.
>
> right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
> IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
> 2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
> exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
> Channel
>
> Intel P4 2.4Ghz
> 512mb DDR 400
> On board graphics
> On board audio
>

> I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.
>
> Thank you!

What version of Windows?

What BIOS version?

Are you using any SATA drives?

Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?

Bob

daytripper

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:55:19 GMT, "Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Buggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
>> detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.
>>
>> In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
>> Enhanced and Legacy.
>>
>> When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
>> they are
>> NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.
>>
>> When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
>> are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.
>>
>> right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
>> IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
>> 2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
>> exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
>> Channel
>>
>> Intel P4 2.4Ghz
>> 512mb DDR 400
>> On board graphics
>> On board audio
>>

>> I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.
>>
>> Thank you!

>What version of Windows?
>
>What BIOS version?
>
>Are you using any SATA drives?
>
>Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?
>
>Bob

If IDE, are the drives jumpered for "master/slave", or for "cable select"?

And do the cables match the above?

Buggy

daytripper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:55:19 GMT, "Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Buggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
> >> detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.
> >>
> >> In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
> >> Enhanced and Legacy.
> >>
> >> When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
> >> they are
> >> NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.
> >>
> >> When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
> >> are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.
> >>
> >> right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
> >> IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
> >> 2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
> >> exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
> >> Channel
> >>
> >> Intel P4 2.4Ghz
> >> 512mb DDR 400
> >> On board graphics
> >> On board audio
> >>

> >> I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.
> >>
> >> Thank you!

> >What version of Windows?
> >
> >What BIOS version?
> >
> >Are you using any SATA drives?
> >
> >Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?
> >
> >Bob
> >

> If IDE, are the drives jumpered for "master/slave", or for "cable select"?
>
> And do the cables match the above?

Thank you guys for the kind attention

I am running Windows XP pro

BIOS is BF86510A.86A.0085.P15

They are all IDE drives. the drives are actually ALL usable in
windows. but the secondary ides are NOT detect in the BIOS(legacy
mode). (i am bothering with it is because i think this is limiting the
secondary IDEs to PIO and not DMA mode)

The jumpers are set for master/slave, no CS settings.

the cables are all matched.

I am at my wits end. =0(

Buggy

Bob Bailin

"Buggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> daytripper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:55:19 GMT, "Bob Bailin"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"Buggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed). com...

NEC

> > >What version of Windows?
> > >
> > >What BIOS version?
> > >
> > >Are you using any SATA drives?
> > >
> > >Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?
> > >
> > >Bob
> > >

> > If IDE, are the drives jumpered for "master/slave", or for "cable

select"?

> > And do the cables match the above?

> Thank you guys for the kind attention
>
> I am running Windows XP pro
>
> BIOS is BF86510A.86A.0085.P15
>
> They are all IDE drives. the drives are actually ALL usable in
> windows. but the secondary ides are NOT detect in the BIOS(legacy
> mode). (i am bothering with it is because i think this is limiting the
> secondary IDEs to PIO and not DMA mode)
>
> The jumpers are set for master/slave, no CS settings.
>
> the cables are all matched.
>
> I am at my wits end. =0(
>
> Buggy

First of all, avoid Legacy mode altogether. It's only appropriate for
older OS'es that don't know how to deal with a SATA interface,
such as Win98.

Disconnect the two drives on the secondary IDE.
Make sure the jumpers on the two hd are set to master on the
first, slave on the 2nd, or use CS on both (works well with most
modern cables). Make sure you're using an 80-wire cable.
Make sure the BIOS detection is set at AUTO for all channels,
and that the two drives show up in the BIOS.

Make sure you've installed the Microsoft SATA XP supplement
from the motherboard driver CD, even though you aren't using
any SATA drives just now.

Make sure you've installed the latest Intel chipset driver package.

At this point, you should have two fully functional hard disks working.

Connect ONE of the two remaining secondary IDE devices as Master.
Make sure it shows up in the BIOS.

Boot up WinXP and make sure it's detected and is running using DMA.

At this point, you should have 3 fully functional IDE devices working.

Finally, add the 4th device as secondary slave. Make sure it shows
up in the BIOS. If adding this 4th device screws everything up, it's
because some ATAPI devices don't like to be running as a slave with
another ATAPI device as master. If this is the case, move the 2nd
hard disk from primary/slave to secondary/master, and move the
secondary/master to primary/slave, so that both ATAPI devices are
slaves on each channel.

Bob

Buggy

> First of all, avoid Legacy mode altogether. It's only appropriate for
> older OS'es that don't know how to deal with a SATA interface,
> such as Win98.
>
> Disconnect the two drives on the secondary IDE.
> Make sure the jumpers on the two hd are set to master on the
> first, slave on the 2nd, or use CS on both (works well with most
> modern cables). Make sure you're using an 80-wire cable.
> Make sure the BIOS detection is set at AUTO for all channels,
> and that the two drives show up in the BIOS.
>
> Make sure you've installed the Microsoft SATA XP supplement
> from the motherboard driver CD, even though you aren't using
> any SATA drives just now.
>
> Make sure you've installed the latest Intel chipset driver package.
>
> At this point, you should have two fully functional hard disks working.

Hi,

firstly, i would like to thank you for your assitance.

however, i encountered a problem at the first step of your
instructions. After disconnecting the secondary IDE and switching to
enhanced mode, my HDs are no longer detected. I tried the Master/Slave
setting. I tried to disconnect the slave drive and then tested the
first drive with master and CS. neither worked. it seems the problem
boils down to Enhaced mohde does not detect my HDs.

As for the SATA supplement. I don't believe there is such a driver in
the "interl express installer CD." On the intel website there is a
"SATA QFE udpate." i am not sure if that's the thing i am supposed to
DL, but it requires PW/LN which is apparently on a flyer inside the
box which i could not find.

Rob

Bob Bailin

"Buggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > First of all, avoid Legacy mode altogether. It's only appropriate for
> > older OS'es that don't know how to deal with a SATA interface,
> > such as Win98.
> >
> > Disconnect the two drives on the secondary IDE.
> > Make sure the jumpers on the two hd are set to master on the
> > first, slave on the 2nd, or use CS on both (works well with most
> > modern cables). Make sure you're using an 80-wire cable.
> > Make sure the BIOS detection is set at AUTO for all channels,
> > and that the two drives show up in the BIOS.
> >
> > Make sure you've installed the Microsoft SATA XP supplement
> > from the motherboard driver CD, even though you aren't using
> > any SATA drives just now.
> >
> > Make sure you've installed the latest Intel chipset driver package.
> >
> > At this point, you should have two fully functional hard disks working.
> >

> Hi,
>
> firstly, i would like to thank you for your assitance.
>
> however, i encountered a problem at the first step of your
> instructions. After disconnecting the secondary IDE and switching to
> enhanced mode, my HDs are no longer detected. I tried the Master/Slave
> setting. I tried to disconnect the slave drive and then tested the
> first drive with master and CS. neither worked. it seems the problem
> boils down to Enhaced mohde does not detect my HDs.
>
> As for the SATA supplement. I don't believe there is such a driver in
> the "interl express installer CD." On the intel website there is a
> "SATA QFE udpate." i am not sure if that's the thing i am supposed to
> DL, but it requires PW/LN which is apparently on a flyer inside the
> box which i could not find.
>
> Rob

Go into BIOS setup and restore the default BIOS settings. Remove all
cards from the PCI slots so that all you have is video, keyboard, mouse
and one hard disk (no floppy). Disable fast boot in the BIOS.

You should now see the one hard disk when you boot. If not, then try
the other hard disk by itself or try another 80-wire cable. Make sure
the cables are plugged into the mb properly (I don't remember if they're
keyed). Make absolutely sure you're jumpering the hard drives
properly, that you're not reading the pin arrangement upside down.
See if the drives are recognized in another system, if possible.

It's possible that you have a defective mb if it fails these simple tests.

Please note that Intel released BIOS P17 for their 865G motherboards a
couple of days ago. You might want to try flashing this new BIOS to
see if it makes any difference at all.

Bob

Buggy

> Go into BIOS setup and restore the default BIOS settings. Remove all
> cards from the PCI slots so that all you have is video, keyboard, mouse
> and one hard disk (no floppy). Disable fast boot in the BIOS.
>
> You should now see the one hard disk when you boot. If not, then try
> the other hard disk by itself or try another 80-wire cable. Make sure
> the cables are plugged into the mb properly (I don't remember if they're
> keyed). Make absolutely sure you're jumpering the hard drives
> properly, that you're not reading the pin arrangement upside down.
> See if the drives are recognized in another system, if possible.
>
> It's possible that you have a defective mb if it fails these simple tests.
>
> Please note that Intel released BIOS P17 for their 865G motherboards a
> couple of days ago. You might want to try flashing this new BIOS to
> see if it makes any difference at all.
>
> Bob

Hi,

i first tried to restore the defaults in the BIOS and restarted the
computer. and it worked!

now both of my secondary IDEs are in DMA mode.

thank you very very much for the continuous help you have given me. i
really appreciate the effort you have spent in assisting me.

rob