DANGER DANGER THIRD DAY CPU FAN FAILURE DANGER DANGER

Skybuck Flying

Hello,

Today I turned on my PC again... I almost forgot to look at the cpu fan !
which would be dangerous if I forgot to do that !

This time I was like "oh ****"... "I better check that cpu fan again"...

This time I noticed what happened/maybe something else happened... The cpu
fan spin up a little bit... but then it stopped spinning.

I quickly pressed reset button before it booted into windows... after a
reset it started spinning better.

To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
STUCK...

Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged with
dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.

I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.

One thing I should not do:

Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan... I
broke off the fan blade... and got stuck with a dead computer... maybe that
even happened to my older pentium II cpu fan as well... I think so... not
sure can't remember.

THIS SITUATION HAS NOW OFFICIAL ESCALATED FROM A PHASE 1 to a PHASE 2 to a
PHASE 3 !!!!!!

MY COMPUTER SYSTEM IS NOW OFFICIALLY AT DEFCON 3 MOTHER****ER
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFFF CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO NN N
33333333
D D E F C O O N N N
3
D D E F C O O N N N
3
D D E F C O O N N N
3
D D EEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFF C O O N N N
33333333
D D E F C O O N N N
3
D D E F C O O N N N
3
D D E F C O O N NN
3
DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE F CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO N N
33333333

I will probably have to find a new tiny cpu fan or totall cpu fan/heatsink
package before I start working on my PC !

(In case of backup needed !)

ARGH !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c40ab$4ba7a2d6$d53371df$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb. home.nl...
> Hello,
>
> Today I turned on my PC again... I almost forgot to look at the cpu fan !
> which would be dangerous if I forgot to do that !
>
> This time I was like "oh ****"... "I better check that cpu fan again"...
>
> This time I noticed what happened/maybe something else happened... The cpu
> fan spin up a little bit... but then it stopped spinning.
>
> I quickly pressed reset button before it booted into windows... after a
> reset it started spinning better.
>
> To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
> STUCK...
>
> Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged
> with dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.
>
> I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
> first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.
>
> One thing I should not do:
>
> Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan...
> I broke off the fan blade... and got stuck with a dead computer... maybe
> that even happened to my older pentium II cpu fan as well... I think so...
> not

Little typo... I never owned a pentium II, I ment pentium III (LOL).

> sure can't remember.
>
> THIS SITUATION HAS NOW OFFICIAL ESCALATED FROM A PHASE 1 to a PHASE 2 to a
> PHASE 3 !!!!!!
>
> MY COMPUTER SYSTEM IS NOW OFFICIALLY AT DEFCON 3 MOTHER****ER
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

> DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFFF CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO NN N
> 33333333
> D D E F C O O N N N 3
> D D E F C O O N N N 3
> D D E F C O O N N N 3
> D D EEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFF C O O N N N
> 33333333
> D D E F C O O N N N 3
> D D E F C O O N N N 3
> D D E F C O O N NN 3
> DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE F CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO N N
> 33333333

^ Stinking format nazi's !

> I will probably have to find a new tiny cpu fan or totall cpu fan/heatsink
> package before I start working on my PC !
>
> (In case of backup needed !)
>
> ARGH !
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Antares 531

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:03:39 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Today I turned on my PC again... I almost forgot to look at the cpu fan !
>which would be dangerous if I forgot to do that !
>
>This time I was like "oh ****"... "I better check that cpu fan again"...
>
>This time I noticed what happened/maybe something else happened... The cpu
>fan spin up a little bit... but then it stopped spinning.
>
>I quickly pressed reset button before it booted into windows... after a
>reset it started spinning better.
>
>To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
>STUCK...
>
>Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged with
>dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.
>
>I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
>first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.
>
>One thing I should not do:
>
>Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan... I
>broke off the fan blade... and got stuck with a dead computer... maybe that
>even happened to my older pentium II cpu fan as well... I think so... not
>sure can't remember.
>
>THIS SITUATION HAS NOW OFFICIAL ESCALATED FROM A PHASE 1 to a PHASE 2 to a
>PHASE 3 !!!!!!
>
>MY COMPUTER SYSTEM IS NOW OFFICIALLY AT DEFCON 3 MOTHER****ER
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

>DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFFF CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO NN N
>33333333
>D D E F C O O N N N
>3
>D D E F C O O N N N
>3
>D D E F C O O N N N
>3
>D D EEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFF C O O N N N
>33333333
>D D E F C O O N N N
>3
>D D E F C O O N N N
>3
>D D E F C O O N NN
>3
>DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE F CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO N N
>33333333
>

>I will probably have to find a new tiny cpu fan or totall cpu fan/heatsink
>package before I start working on my PC !
>
>(In case of backup needed !)
>
>ARGH !
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck.

I've been going through the same kind of CPU fan irregularity set of
problems and I still haven't found the cause. My computer is running
Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 installed. It has a Gigabyte
S-Series GA-P35-DS3L motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor
and two A-Data 2gb ddr2 SDRAM memory sticks. It has been a very stable
and reliable computer for a year and a half, since I built it but
about a month ago it started throwing fits with the CPU fan and long
beeps when I boot. If I re-boot the second boot usually goes to
completion with no problems, and the computer will then operate
flawlessly until I shut it down then re-boot the next time. This seems
to be thermally related in that the computer has to have been shut
down long enough for everything to cool off.

I'm increasingly convinced that this set of problems started after an
on-line update, but I don't know what was updated or changed.

Gordon

SteveH

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean
> it first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it
> worse.

Just throw the lot away as YOU'RE TOO ****ING STUPID TO OWN A PC!
Problem is, you're probably also too stupid to even own an abacus.
--
SteveH

Thomas Andersson

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Have you ever considdered that any hardware owned by you would be prone to
go suicidal?

Skybuck Flying

"Thomas Andersson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.

> Have you ever considdered that any hardware owned by you would be prone to
> go suicidal?

My hardware might be a little bit dusty, but that's because I always give it
lot's of love and attention... it's love dust

I even respect the elderly, they all sitting right next to me, nice and
cousy

Unlike some people who dump their elderly in the waste basket ?! |D

Bye,
Skybuck.

larry moe 'n curly

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
> STUCK...
>
> Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged with
> dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.
>
> I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
> first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.
>
> One thing I should not do:
>
> Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan... I
> broke off the fan blade...

What happens when you apply 12V directly to the fan? The black wire
goes to ground (another black wire on the power supply), the red wire
of the fan goes to a yellow wire from the power supply. If you
instead connect it to a red wire on the power supply, the fan will get
only 5V, which may not be enough to start it up.

I usually take apart a fan and clean it before lubing it. Use light
machine oil, not WD-40 or silicone oil, and lube not only the bearings
but also apply tiny amounts of oil to any thrust washers, even plastic
ones. If you find any gouged washers, replace them (real hardware
stores like Ace or True Value, parts from other fans). Sealed ball
bearings usually can't be lubed, but with unsealed ones try to clean
out the old grease and apply fresh lithium grease, not Vaseline.

You can't break off fan blades unless you're drunk, high on coke, or
apply way, way too much force and forgot to first remove the circlip
or split washer that holds the shaft in place. The clip can be
removed with a jeweler's screwdriver.

Skybuck Flying

Oh those fan blades break real easy...

It's like a lever, like so:

/<- push here
/
/
/
/
--------------

^ snaps there.

Ouch !

Sigh, I haven't looked at the cpu fan up close yet... too lazy to work on
the pc at the moment... and I have other things to do...

Bye,
Skybuck.

mpm

On Mar 22, 9:04*pm, "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Sigh, I haven't looked at the cpu fan up close yet... too lazy to work on
> the pc at the moment... and I have other things to do...
>
> Bye,
> * Skybuck.

Really?
Like finding your Ritalin prescription...??

larry moe 'n curly

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Oh those fan blades break real easy...
>
> It's like a lever, like so:
>
> /<- push here
> /
> /
> /
> /
>
> ^ snaps there.
>
> Ouch !

No, they don't, because nobody presses there on purpose.