Darn, is my Hard Disk Drive finished? Can't read it.

eb7g

I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
it again.

The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....

Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

ccrc

I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
Windows) drives.
-Chris.

ccrc wrote:

> I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
> Windows) drives.
> -Chris.
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
>>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
>>it again.
>>
>>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
>>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>>
>>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
>>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
again, as it's not an old drive.

ccrc

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:12:00 GMT, eb7g <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ccrc wrote:
>
>> I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
>> Windows) drives.
>> -Chris.
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
>>>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
>>>it again.
>>>
>>>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
>>>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>>>
>>>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
>>>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

>Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
>again, as it's not an old drive.

Well, it's worth a try to try to recover it then.

I wouldnt put faith in it until you've had it running stable a while
though.

Do you have the tech to repartition and reformat yourself? Have a
mildly well versed tech buddy who can help you?
-C.

Xrayman

download the diagnostic disk from WD and run the quick and extended health
test on the drive. you can also zero fill the drive (since you don't need
the data) and verify afterward to see if there are bad sectors in the drive.
unfortunately the program does not give you the actual errors, just error
codes so you can't really tell what they are. but having this happen to the
drive once, you should avoid putting important data on it, even if it
recovers.

"eb7g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> ccrc wrote:
>
> > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
> > Windows) drives.
> > -Chris.
> >
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
> >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
> >>it again.
> >>
> >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
> >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
> >>
> >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
> >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

> Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
> again, as it's not an old drive.

maxim

"" wrote:
> ccrc wrote:
>
> > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old

> "unreadable" (by
> > Windows) drives.
> > -Chris.
> >
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two

> years old. I
> >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing

> could read
> >>it again.
> >>
> >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem

> to access
> >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems

> fine....
> >>
> >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as

> my operating
> >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

> Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to
> use it
> again, as it's not an old drive.

Get back data is a good option...
has worked for me with a dead 80 gb seagate.

Easy Recovery Pro....can also be of much help....its got this option
whr you can recover data from a formatted hdd. (hvnt still got a
chance to try it tho...) hopefuly shuld work for you..as long as the
drive detects in the bios and spins...uve not run out of luck....

im soon gonna start work on a WD Caviar WD400BB dead hdd which isnt
showing up on bios...

anyone knows any software for WD for e.g DM 9.5 for seagate

cheers!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Sto...pict60309.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304701

Zag

You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb drives
come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.

newsNBKe.186006$%K2.81544@pd7tw1no...

Xrayman wrote:

> download the diagnostic disk from WD and run the quick and extended health
> test on the drive. you can also zero fill the drive (since you don't need
> the data) and verify afterward to see if there are bad sectors in the drive.
> unfortunately the program does not give you the actual errors, just error
> codes so you can't really tell what they are. but having this happen to the
> drive once, you should avoid putting important data on it, even if it
> recovers.
>

> "eb7g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>ccrc wrote:
>>

>>>I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
>>>Windows) drives.
>>>-Chris.

>>Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
>>again, as it's not an old drive.

As it turns out the Diagnostic tools don't work as I immediately get a
'cable' error to the drive. The cables I fine, I tested it out with
other cables and drives.

Rod Speed

Zag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired,
> all WD 120gb drives come with a 3yr warranty,

Wrong. Not when he bought it.

> look into RMA'ing it. I'd stay clear of any WD
> drives, due to past experience with them.

> "eb7g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsNBKe.186006$%K2.81544@pd7tw1no...
>> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years
>> old. I was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing
>> could read it again.
>>
>> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to
>> access it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>>
>> Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my
>> operating system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

Patrick

The whole industry was getting poor yields and sales were down so they
decided to release bunch crappy HDs and offer 1 year or 30 day warranties.
WD hardrives are are the best I know of.. I have 4 WD740 raptors 1 WD360
raptor and 4 80gb JB IDE drives and have never had any issues with them,,
I would stay clear of samsung fujitsu.