DDR2-667 ram for Asus P5W DH motherboard

nospam

Hello,

Just got myself the Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard for my yet to be
delivered Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU. I am looking at getting 2X1gig G.Skill
DDR2 667 (CL 4-4-4-12)ram. The motherboard specs state that it is
compatable with DDR2 800/667/533 ram sticks. However, on page 2-15 of
the motherboard's manual, it states:

"Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-667 with CL=4 will be downgraded to run
at DDR2-533 by default setting. If you want to operate with lower
latency, adjust the memory timing manually."

I am a little confused by this ambiguous statement.

So I take it that this memory will not run at its optimised speed
(667MHz)with this motherboard??

Can someone clarify this for me?

Shane

John Thomas

I have the P5WD2 which has the same notice in the memory configuration
section of the user guide. You can set the correct timing for your RAM in
the BIOS. In the P5WD manual the settings are in the "Advanced" section of
the BIOS set-up utility. Look for DRAM Frequency in the sub-menus. The
default is AUTO, other choices include DDR2-400, DDR2-533, DDR2-667, etc

HTH

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44cbf32c$0$1211$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello,
>
> Just got myself the Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard for my yet to be
> delivered Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU. I am looking at getting 2X1gig G.Skill
> DDR2 667 (CL 4-4-4-12)ram. The motherboard specs state that it is
> compatable with DDR2 800/667/533 ram sticks. However, on page 2-15 of the
> motherboard's manual, it states:
>
> "Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-667 with CL=4 will be downgraded to run
> at DDR2-533 by default setting. If you want to operate with lower
> latency, adjust the memory timing manually."
>
> I am a little confused by this ambiguous statement.
>
> So I take it that this memory will not run at its optimised speed
> (667MHz)with this motherboard??
>
> Can someone clarify this for me?
>
> Shane

nospam

John Thomas wrote:
> I have the P5WD2 which has the same notice in the memory configuration
> section of the user guide. You can set the correct timing for your RAM in
> the BIOS. In the P5WD manual the settings are in the "Advanced" section of
> the BIOS set-up utility. Look for DRAM Frequency in the sub-menus. The
> default is AUTO, other choices include DDR2-400, DDR2-533, DDR2-667, etc
>
> HTH
>

> "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44cbf32c$0$1211$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just got myself the Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard for my yet to be
>> delivered Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU. I am looking at getting 2X1gig G.Skill
>> DDR2 667 (CL 4-4-4-12)ram. The motherboard specs state that it is
>> compatable with DDR2 800/667/533 ram sticks. However, on page 2-15 of the
>> motherboard's manual, it states:
>>
>> "Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-667 with CL=4 will be downgraded to run
>> at DDR2-533 by default setting. If you want to operate with lower
>> latency, adjust the memory timing manually."
>>
>> I am a little confused by this ambiguous statement.
>>
>> So I take it that this memory will not run at its optimised speed
>> (667MHz)with this motherboard??
>>
>> Can someone clarify this for me?
>>
>> Shane

Thanks for the advice. I have only used DDR3200 (400MHz) ram with an
AMD system and I recall, for various reasons, different configurations
could only work at 333MHz instead of the ram's peak speed. I thought
that this was a similar situation.

Shane