dead processor or motherboard

Bond

I'm not really sure if my PC has a bad motherboard or processor. I'm
leaning towards the motherboard thou.

Is it possible for the motherboard to kill a new processor if I install
a new one as a test?

Is is possible that i could kill a new motherboard if i install the old
processor (possibly a dead processor) on a new motherboard?

Bond

One more thing... if I install a new process on the old motherboard,
will I only have to change the BIOS config (unless it is done
automatically).

And if I install a new motherboard using the old CPU, is it true that I
will have to format my hard drive (C: partition)?

Anything else involved that I should know about?

Ben Myers

First, yes, in extreme cases, messed up motherboard circuitry can kill a
perfectly good CPU. Unlikely, but possible.

If the CPU is compatible with the motherboard, no BIOS changes are needed.

If you install a new motherboard with your old CPU and its model is IDENTICAL to
the dead motherboard, you do not need to reinstall or reactivate Windows.

If you install a different motherboard, Microsoft may or may not require you to
reactivate Windows. You may or may not have to reinstall Windows with a new
motherboard, only add the drivers required by the new board. I'm assuming that
you are using XP.

For Windows 2000 and earlier, everything applies except the bit about product
activation, a new "feature" of Windows XP to prevent all the bad software
pirates in the world from using Windows illegally... Ben Myers

On 17 May 2005 07:03:01 -0700, "Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>One more thing... if I install a new process on the old motherboard,
>will I only have to change the BIOS config (unless it is done
>automatically).
>
>And if I install a new motherboard using the old CPU, is it true that I
>will have to format my hard drive (C: partition)?
>
>Anything else involved that I should know about?

Kevin Buffardi

> And if I install a new motherboard using the old CPU, is it true that I
> will have to format my hard drive (C: partition)?

No. You can swap compatible drives in and out of computers. Your OS
might not like that it has a new mobo, but you should be able to work
your way around that without reformatting.

//Kevin