Dear AMD,,, (Fan settings, what do you use?)

Craig Fink

....Ten years an AMD fan, but the Fan couldn't keep up. Just returned a
Phenom processor Quad 9500 with Al fan when the motherboard started beeping
at me. Did something I haven't done in fifteen years, Q6600, it not true
quad but doesn't have cache problems. The Fan was undersized in my Box.

I'm an Nvidia fan too, CUDA...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCU7wlusSDI
....c or c++, Fortran fan here, but parallel processing is....

Current Fan settings on my new Q66 with ECS G31T-M...
AMT bios
Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0
Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)... 37
CPU DeltaT... +5
Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15 (PWM/C)
CPU Fan Full Limit Temp 45C

Being green, slowing the fan down when there is no load is important, these
settings give me at idle,

CPU Temp 38C or 100F
CPU Fan Speed 1070RPM

The fan Tops out 2050RPM at 45C.

Comments?
What Fan setting are you using? I figure full speed at 45C leaves plenty of
padding before my ECS G31.... shuts down at 70C.

Ron Paul in 08! ;-)
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @ (E-Mail Removed)

Richard P

Craig Fink wrote:
> ...Ten years an AMD fan, but the Fan couldn't keep up. Just returned a
> Phenom processor Quad 9500 with Al fan when the motherboard started beeping
> at me. Did something I haven't done in fifteen years, Q6600, it not true
> quad but doesn't have cache problems. The Fan was undersized in my Box.
>
> I'm an Nvidia fan too, CUDA...
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCU7wlusSDI
> ...c or c++, Fortran fan here, but parallel processing is....
>
> Current Fan settings on my new Q66 with ECS G31T-M...
> AMT bios
> Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0
> Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)... 37
> CPU DeltaT... +5
> Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15 (PWM/C)
> CPU Fan Full Limit Temp 45C
>
> Being green, slowing the fan down when there is no load is important, these
> settings give me at idle,
>
> CPU Temp 38C or 100F
> CPU Fan Speed 1070RPM
>
> The fan Tops out 2050RPM at 45C.
>
> Comments?
> What Fan setting are you using? I figure full speed at 45C leaves plenty of
> padding before my ECS G31.... shuts down at 70C.
>

> Ron Paul in 08! ;-)

Why didnt you just get a better fan? I have a phenom and with the
default fan the temps are ok. But as I like to run cool I bought a 3rd
party fan for 13 which keeps it cool even when overclocking.

peter

The first thing I do when I buy a new chip.........is also buy a new and
Better heatsink one that's capable of 120mm Fan.
Then I buy the fan that pushes the most air at the least noise...and turn
off all Fan Control and let that sucker blow.
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB
Thermalright HR-01 Plus 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 AM2 CPU Heatsink *Fan Not
Included*

Now that the Cooling and noise level is under control.......its time to over
clock.
And as I sit here 2 feet from my OC'd Intel core 2 duo..from 2.3 to 3.2 I
can barely hear the thing.

Based on the info you gave your fan settings are fine
peter

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

peter wrote:

> The first thing I do when I buy a new chip.........is also buy a new and
> Better heatsink one that's capable of 120mm Fan.
> Then I buy the fan that pushes the most air at the least noise...and turn
> off all Fan Control and let that sucker blow.
> Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB
> Thermalright HR-01 Plus 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 AM2 CPU Heatsink *Fan Not
> Included*
>
> Now that the Cooling and noise level is under control.......its time to
> over clock.
> And as I sit here 2 feet from my OC'd Intel core 2 duo..from 2.3 to 3.2 I
> can barely hear the thing.
>
> Based on the info you gave your fan settings are fine
> peter

A long time ago, I was into overclocking, still fun, but no longer feel the
need to be on the bleeding edge. But, still fun to talk about. On article
on Tom's Hardware on overclocking, he mentions cost of running for a year.
Several hundred for eight hours a day.

Yes, any old fan settings are probably fine as long as it's spinning the
fastest it can when the cpu is the hottest. But, the green part of me like
lower recurring costs, the power bill.

I've been thinking about it a little bit more and what criteria is best for
something other than spinning the fan full speed. I didn't like the default
fan setting on my cheap motherboard. The default was disabled, no variable
fan.

Start PMM value was 50 with a range of 0-128
PMM value of 0 gave half speed on the fan.
CPU Fan Full Limit Temp was 69 degrees, only one degree below 70 (my
shutdown temp) and way to close for me.

Current Fan settings on my new Q6600 with ECS G31T-M...
AMT bios
Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0
Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)... *37
CPU DeltaT... * * * * * * * * +5
Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15 *(PWM/C)
CPU Fan Full Limit Temp * * * 45C

I was rethinking these settings I came up with, and think I'll modify them
again with different criteria that is the greenest I can think of, and the
safest in terms of temperature, not running at the bleeding edge.

Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0 ----------- Fan is spinning the slowest
Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)... 37 ----------- Adjustment for CPU Fan Full...
CPU DeltaT... +5 ---------I have no idea what this does
Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15(PWM/C) - Maximum rate of change of FanSpeed
CPU Fan Full Limit Temp ??C ------- Temp at 100% CPU w 100% FanSpeed
in the Summer.

My adjustments are Start PMM value, Start Temp, DeltaT and Slope.

CPU Fan Full Limit Temp is the outcome of these settings.

This will give me full fan speed at max temperature for my heatsink and fan,
and will give me the lowest power usage at idle, and will give me the
smallest temperature change of the CPU/Motherboard from idle to full speed
(reduces thermal cycling).

Anybody know what CPU DeltaT does? Should i reduce it to zero?
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @ (E-Mail Removed)

peter

here is a little article ( a bit old maybe but still true) on heat and CPU
life span...it includes info on CPU Delta T

http://www.overclockers.com/tips30/

Once upon a time I did a small power test...I had been running my systems
24/7 so for one month I turned them on only when they were in use ...I saved
just under 3.00 per month in power cost....That is for 2 computers.
I believe in the cooler the better...and a small fan.or 3 small 120mm fans
in my case do not amount to a huge amount of power consumption.
These are the fans that I use....note the power
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...ex_detail.html

peter wrote:

> here is a little article ( a bit old maybe but still true) on heat and CPU
> life span...it includes info on CPU Delta T
>
> http://www.overclockers.com/tips30/
>
> Once upon a time I did a small power test...I had been running my systems
> 24/7 so for one month I turned them on only when they were in use ...I
> saved just under 3.00 per month in power cost....That is for 2 computers.
> I believe in the cooler the better...and a small fan.or 3 small 120mm fans
> in my case do not amount to a huge amount of power consumption.
> These are the fans that I use....note the power
> http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...ex_detail.html

Thanks, very good article. The CPU Delta T is an input that I can change in
my bios, I don't think it is the same one as he is talking about. But the I
like the article. Sounds like the Delta T in the article is Running Temp
minus Ambient Temp.

I still have no idea what the *input* "CPU Delta T" in the bios actually
does for me.

For any given heat sink with a variable speed fan,

delta T(1) = Temp(100% load, 100%fan) - Temp(idle, 100%fan)
delta T(2) = Temp(100% load, 100%fan) - Temp(idle, 50%fan)

delta T(2) < delta T(1)

Reduces thermal cycling Delta T between idle and full load (is good), but
increase Idle temperature (is very bad, very very bad for a 24/7 idling
computer)

I'm not a gamer, but when I run some of my own software it runs for five to
six hours. That's only one thermal cycle, cruising the Internet is much
worst than gaming or running one long program. A game is only one thermal
cycle too.

Ok, I'll quite messing with the variable fan and run it at 100%. Even though
the delta T from idle to 100% load will be higher. The lower idle temp with
the fan at 100% is better.

So why did they go to the trouble of putting a variable speed fan on my
motherboard?