Suzie-Q

When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
in my gmail account (in Firefox).

Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)

I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
be something simple.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Suzie-Q <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
> on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
> in my gmail account (in Firefox).
>
> Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
> address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
> computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)
>
> I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
> Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
> when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
> be something simple.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
> ~~~~~~~~~
>
> http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
> http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

Since a browser isn't the usual tool for reading/sending mail, you'll
have a difficult time getting this default to work. The tool I use is
RCDefaultApp (free)

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14618/rcdefaultapp

You can use it to associate file extensions to applications, the default
application for web browsing, mail, ftp, news, rss, and IM. BUT, all
that does is run the appropriate program when you click on a link like

(E-Mail Removed)

If you assign Chrome as your email reader, it will run the progam but
that's all. You'll have to navigate and sign into Gmail on your own.

You could use Opera or Thunderbird which have integrated email features,
but the UNIX-way is that a tool does ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY.
Opera and Thunderbird violate that philosophy.

I suppose you could write an Applescript, compile it as an application,
and run that as the email app. But clicking on a link may not transfer
the email address in the link to the application.

I think if you want the behavior you described, you're limited to an
email program like Mail or Mailsmith or Sparrow.

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You could use Opera or Thunderbird which have integrated email features,
> but the UNIX-way is that a tool does ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY.
> Opera and Thunderbird violate that philosophy.

So do all web browsers, by definition.

--
Tim

Barry Margolin

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=os+x+use+gmail+...lt+mail+client

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Michael Vilain

Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Suzie-Q <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
> > on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
> > in my gmail account (in Firefox).
> >
> > Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
> > address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
> > computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)
> >
> > I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
> > Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
> > when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
> > be something simple.
> >
> > Can anyone help?

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=os+x+use+gmail+...lt+mail+client

Barry, this won't help (even a little). She wants to use a non-email
application (e.g. a web browser) for her mail client, have it login into
gmail, and go.

According to one of the hits:

<http://mactips.dwhoard.com/mactips/o...ult-mail-appli
cation>

Setting Chrome as the email app should be all she needs to do if she
adds a Chrome extension.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Suzie-Q <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
> > > on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
> > > in my gmail account (in Firefox).
> > >
> > > Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
> > > address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
> > > computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)
> > >
> > > I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
> > > Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
> > > when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
> > > be something simple.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help?

> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=os+x+use+gmail+...lt+mail+client

> Barry, this won't help (even a little). She wants to use a non-email
> application (e.g. a web browser) for her mail client, have it login into
> gmail, and go.

I know what she's trying to do. The web pages listed in the Google
search show how to do it.

> According to one of the hits:
>
> <http://mactips.dwhoard.com/mactips/o...ult-mail-appli
> cation>
>
> Setting Chrome as the email app should be all she needs to do if she
> adds a Chrome extension.

Isn't that just what she asked for?

And several other hits explain how to do it using the Google Notifier
application.