dell 2400 not keeping time

RnR

I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
know the type battery in it?

Steve W.

RnR wrote:
> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
> know the type battery in it?

2032 lithium cell.

very likely the battery, could also be a reason for other problems as well.

--
Steve W.

BillW50

In news:BodMq.79966$(E-Mail Removed),
Steve W. wrote:
> RnR wrote:
>> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
>> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
>> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
>> Anyone know the type battery in it?

> 2032 lithium cell.
>
> very likely the battery, could also be a reason for other problems as
> well.

I know this might sound weird, but quartz clocks run faster and faster
as the battery voltage drops. Until at one point it just stops
altogether.

Even though your sister's clock battery is probably dying. It is also
true computer clocks are really cheapo clocks. And some of them are not
very accurate at all. And being off a minute or two a day isn't really
that unusual. And if the machine is often online, there are many utility
software that will sync up your computer clock. One of my favorites is
Dimension 4. It is old, but it does a lot in a tiny package. It is free
too.

Thinking Man Software - Dimension 4 v5.0
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

--
Bill

Ben Myers

On Jan 2, 1:16*am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. *I
> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
> before and it was wrong again. * Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
> know the type battery in it?

For a Dimension 2400, a 3v CR2032 battery, available for under $3 at
Wal*Mart and other fine stores... Ben Myers

RnR

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 21:24:04 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 2, 1:16*am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. *I
>> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
>> before and it was wrong again. * Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
>> know the type battery in it?

>For a Dimension 2400, a 3v CR2032 battery, available for under $3 at
>Wal*Mart and other fine stores... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben. I think I have some spare new ones I bought last year.
Next time I'm over her house I'll have to crack open her pc and swap
it out <grin>.

Ron Hardin

RnR wrote:

> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
> know the type battery in it?

Try turning _off_ the automatic time setting from whatever the websites are.

My Inspiron 1200 loses time at a huge rate if I let it check the time. Apparently
it corrects the rate of the clock from the new setting and gets it badly wrong.

On its own it does much better, only about a second a week off.
--
(E-Mail Removed)

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Ron Hardin wrote:
> RnR wrote:
>>
>> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
>> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
>> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
>> Anyone know the type battery in it?

> Try turning _off_ the automatic time setting from whatever the
> websites are.
>
> My Inspiron 1200 loses time at a huge rate if I let it check the
> time. Apparently it corrects the rate of the clock from the new
> setting and gets it badly wrong.
>
> On its own it does much better, only about a second a week off.

How far off is it when you let Windows update the time? By increments of
an hour or more? If so, your time zone setting is wrong. Although your
header time stamp says you are using eastern time zone. And if that is
correct, well then it has to be something else.

--
Bill

BillW50

In news:je43bh$60i$(E-Mail Removed),
BillW50 typed on :
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Ron Hardin wrote:
>> RnR wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
>>> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
>>> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
>>> Anyone know the type battery in it?

>> Try turning _off_ the automatic time setting from whatever the
>> websites are.
>>
>> My Inspiron 1200 loses time at a huge rate if I let it check the
>> time. Apparently it corrects the rate of the clock from the new
>> setting and gets it badly wrong.
>>
>> On its own it does much better, only about a second a week off.

> How far off is it when you let Windows update the time? By increments
> of an hour or more? If so, your time zone setting is wrong. Although
> your header time stamp says you are using eastern time zone. And if
> that is correct, well then it has to be something else.

Here is an example about ccomputer time, this netbook I haven't turned
on in 6 months. Just turned it on and I use Dimension 4 (free) to keep
track of the time and history. And it was off by over 400 seconds (off
about a minute a month) when Dimension 4 corrected the time for me.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Harry Vaderchi

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:56:31 -0000, BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In news:BodMq.79966$(E-Mail Removed),
> Steve W. wrote:
>> RnR wrote:
>>> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
>>> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
>>> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
>>> Anyone know the type battery in it?

>> 2032 lithium cell.
>>
>> very likely the battery, could also be a reason for other problems as
>> well.

> I know this might sound weird, but quartz clocks run faster and faster
> as the battery voltage drops. Until at one point it just stops
> altogether.
>
> Even though your sister's clock battery is probably dying. It is also
> true computer clocks are really cheapo clocks. And some of them are not
> very accurate at all. And being off a minute or two a day isn't really
> that unusual. And if the machine is often online, there are many utility
> software that will sync up your computer clock. One of my favorites is
> Dimension 4. It is old, but it does a lot in a tiny package. It is free
> too.
>
> Thinking Man Software - Dimension 4 v5.0
> http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

Neutron is now a huge 7k.
http://keir.net/neutron.html
download