Dell 2400 with XP sp2 and IE7

RnR

First, this is a moot point as I solved it using Firefox instead but
I'm curious if anyone knows an obvious answer. Last nite, my
sister-in-law asked me to figure out why her comcast email wouldn't
work properly within IE7 on her pc suddenly. Of course I don't know
why this happened just then and when I went over to her house, I tried
to open an email on her pc and then an pop up error message appeared.
In other words, you could get as far as seeing the listed emails but
you couldn't open any of them. I don't recall the verbage now. I
think it had to do with a setting in comcast email preferences but I'm
not sure. For whatever reason, she didn't have any restore points and
I didn't bother looking for a backup because of the time remaining in
the evening. Since my time was limited and I was getting tired
myself, I resorted to switching her comcast email over to FF and of
course all went well. I upgraded her FF first to version 9 before
switching over. I did have some thoughts of trying to see if IE8
might fix the setting problem but due to the time factor and not
knowing if IE8 would work on her pc, I decided FF would be faster to
try.... besides I'm not that knowledgeable with IE since I use FF most
of the time anyway.

I'm just asking for the curiousity in me but otherwise it's a non
issue now. I thought I told her in the past to use FF mostly but
she's likely stubborn and not that computer savy either. You know the
story.... In-Laws asking can you do it now and for free. After I
resolved her problem, she said to me, you really should do it as a
business (money) and I said I wasn't interested. If I was smart, I
should have said okay you're my first client and that will be $75
charge :-) but she has cancer and is in recovery mode so I wanted
to be kind to her. I'm just happy I was able to resolve her problem
if you know what I mean (she's really a good sister in law).

Ben Myers

On Dec 29, 7:35*am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> First, this is a moot point as I solved it using Firefox instead but
> I'm curious if anyone knows an obvious answer. * Last nite, my
> sister-in-law asked me to figure out why her comcast email wouldn't
> work properly within IE7 on her pc suddenly. *Of course I don't know
> why this happened just then and when I went over to her house, I tried
> to open an email on her pc and then an pop up error message appeared.
> In other words, you could get as far as seeing the listed emails but
> you couldn't open any of them. *I don't recall the verbage now. *I
> think it had to do with a setting in comcast email preferences but I'm
> not sure. *For whatever reason, she didn't have any restore points and
> I didn't bother looking for a backup because of the time remaining in
> the evening. *Since my time was limited and I was getting tired
> myself, I resorted to switching her comcast email over to FF and of
> course all went well. *I upgraded her FF first to version 9 before
> switching over. *I did have some thoughts of trying to see if IE8
> might fix the setting problem but due to the time factor and not
> knowing if IE8 would work on her pc, I decided FF would be faster to
> try.... besides I'm not that knowledgeable with IE since I use FF most
> of the time anyway.
>
> I'm just asking for the curiousity in me but otherwise it's a non
> issue now. *I thought I told her in the past to use FF mostly but
> she's likely stubborn and not that computer savy either. *You know the
> story.... In-Laws asking can you do it now and for free. *After I
> resolved her problem, she said to me, you really should do it as a
> business (money) and I said I wasn't interested. *If I was smart, I
> should have said okay you're my first client and that will be $75
> charge :-) * * but she has cancer and is in recovery mode so I wanted
> to be kind to her. * I'm just happy I was able to resolve her problem
> if you know what I mean (she's really a good sister in law).

It's likely Comcast changed its webmail to work with IE 8. With all
the pressure from Micro$oft to use the latest greatest of everything,
major players in the industry from ISPs like Comcast to financial
institutions like Fidelity eventually acquiesce and build IE 8 (or 9)
compatibility into their web products. And this happens to kill off
using IE 7 or IE 6. Just goes to show you how manipulative Microsoft
is when it comes to the web. Then, too, there are the web apps that
use .NET or Silverfart, locking people into IE.

Happy New Year... Ben Myers

RnR

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:53:17 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 7:35*am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> First, this is a moot point as I solved it using Firefox instead but
>> I'm curious if anyone knows an obvious answer. * Last nite, my
>> sister-in-law asked me to figure out why her comcast email wouldn't
>> work properly within IE7 on her pc suddenly. *Of course I don't know
>> why this happened just then and when I went over to her house, I tried
>> to open an email on her pc and then an pop up error message appeared.
>> In other words, you could get as far as seeing the listed emails but
>> you couldn't open any of them. *I don't recall the verbage now. *I
>> think it had to do with a setting in comcast email preferences but I'm
>> not sure. *For whatever reason, she didn't have any restore points and
>> I didn't bother looking for a backup because of the time remaining in
>> the evening. *Since my time was limited and I was getting tired
>> myself, I resorted to switching her comcast email over to FF and of
>> course all went well. *I upgraded her FF first to version 9 before
>> switching over. *I did have some thoughts of trying to see if IE8
>> might fix the setting problem but due to the time factor and not
>> knowing if IE8 would work on her pc, I decided FF would be faster to
>> try.... besides I'm not that knowledgeable with IE since I use FF most
>> of the time anyway.
>>
>> I'm just asking for the curiousity in me but otherwise it's a non
>> issue now. *I thought I told her in the past to use FF mostly but
>> she's likely stubborn and not that computer savy either. *You know the
>> story.... In-Laws asking can you do it now and for free. *After I
>> resolved her problem, she said to me, you really should do it as a
>> business (money) and I said I wasn't interested. *If I was smart, I
>> should have said okay you're my first client and that will be $75
>> charge :-) * * but she has cancer and is in recovery mode so I wanted
>> to be kind to her. * I'm just happy I was able to resolve her problem
>> if you know what I mean (she's really a good sister in law).

>It's likely Comcast changed its webmail to work with IE 8. With all
>the pressure from Micro$oft to use the latest greatest of everything,
>major players in the industry from ISPs like Comcast to financial
>institutions like Fidelity eventually acquiesce and build IE 8 (or 9)
>compatibility into their web products. And this happens to kill off
>using IE 7 or IE 6. Just goes to show you how manipulative Microsoft
>is when it comes to the web. Then, too, there are the web apps that
>use .NET or Silverfart, locking people into IE.
>
>Happy New Year... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben. I just didn't want to take the time to go into depth
resolving the problem so I just switched to FF9 and all was well.
Gotta another question but I'll start a new thread.