Dell 3000 - Crippled from Birth

Leythos

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:50:10 -0500, Jamie wrote:
[snip whining]

You had an opportunity to learn about all of those items BEFORE you bought
that cheap system. Why are you bitching about your failure to do your
homework before purchasing a system?

--
(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Jupiter Jones

Jamie;
Return it to Dell and be sure you give an explanation.
You may also want to send a letter to Customer Service.
This newsgroup may be a good place to vent but the chance is very slim
anyone of importance at Dell will see it.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0MNTd.10265$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Crippled video upgradability: NO video slot, just 3 meezly PCI slots
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where it COULD have been!
>
> Crippled memory upgradability: Two memory slots, now full with two 256MB
> sticks.
> Upgrading renders
> those excess now have to buy twice as much to get to 1GB.
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where two slots COULD have been!
> Save a whole nickel
> and screw us good!!
>
> Crippled Floppy Disk: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
>
> Crippled Hard Drive: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
> Only one connector on
> the drive cable! Gotta replace that too for a 2nd drive.
>
> But they DID screw up! They gave me a data cable for the CD with TWO,
> count
> 'em TWO, connectors so I don't have to replace that cable! Hurry and
> order
> this crippled POS before they can figure out what else they can get away
> with stripping out of the system. Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated
> cardboard for the case instead of that expensive metal?!
>
> Thanks Dell! You suck!!

Colin Wilson

> Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated cardboard for the case instead
> of that expensive metal?

While corrugated cardboard might help keep a system quiet, its a little
more thermally insulating, so would be harder to keep cool.

As Dell machines usually run quite quiet in a metal case I can't see this
being an issue...

If you failed to read the specifications for the PC you bought, and
didn't realise you were getting one without an AGP slot, perhaps you can
console yourself by remembering how cheap the machine was.

Jamie

[...]

David

>Jamie ranted
>Thanks Dell! You suck!!

This system is REGULARLY on sale for around $400.00 (US) often
with a flat panel LCD monitor. What do you expect for this price.
It is a good deal. If you can do better just buy that instead.
The specs of this system are no secret.
I am about ready to stop reading this news group. It is such
a bitch session anymore. If you dont like Dell dont buy Dell.
I buy whatever is the best value (Dell or another brand...) Just
bought an HP laptop...it was a better deal than Dell (and came with
an oem windows xp cd....I was shocked).
Why did you not return the computer...they DO have a money back
guarantee.
Dave

Patrick L. Parks

Jamie wrote:
> Crippled video upgradability: NO video slot, just 3 meezly PCI slots
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where it COULD have been!
>
> Crippled memory upgradability: Two memory slots, now full with two 256MB
> sticks.
> Upgrading renders
> those excess now have to buy twice as much to get to 1GB.
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where two slots COULD have been!
> Save a whole nickel
> and screw us good!!
>
> Crippled Floppy Disk: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
>
> Crippled Hard Drive: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
> Only one connector on
> the drive cable! Gotta replace that too for a 2nd drive.
>
> But they DID screw up! They gave me a data cable for the CD with TWO, count
> 'em TWO, connectors so I don't have to replace that cable! Hurry and order
> this crippled POS before they can figure out what else they can get away
> with stripping out of the system. Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated
> cardboard for the case instead of that expensive metal?!
>
> Thanks Dell! You suck!!

I have to agree with the others on this one, Dell is not the one who
screwed up here, rather the customer didn't know what they were getting
into.

When you buy a very inexpensive system, you limit your ability to
upgrade the machine. Dell did not hide the fact that the box doesn't
have a graphics card slot, they didn't hide the fact that both memory
slots were full. These items are clearly stated in the details.

This is right from the system specs

Memory
256 MB (single channel) shared3 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

512 MB - 1 GB (dual channel) shared3 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

Note: 400MHz memory performs at 333MHz with 533MHz front side bus
processor

2 DIMM slots

Slots
3 PCI slots

According to these specs, right from www.dell.com, you got EXACTLY what
the 3000 comes with. Plain as day

gringo

if you know so much about computers, go out and build your own - you stupid
****.

"Patrick L. Parks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jamie wrote:
>> Crippled video upgradability: NO video slot, just 3 meezly PCI slots
>> You get a nice solder
>> pattern of holes where it COULD have been!
>>
>> Crippled memory upgradability: Two memory slots, now full with two
>> 256MB
>> sticks.
>> Upgrading renders
>> those excess now have to buy twice as much to get to 1GB.
>> You get a nice
>> solder
>> pattern of holes where two slots COULD have been!
>> Save a whole nickel
>> and screw us good!!
>>
>> Crippled Floppy Disk: No bracket unless you buy it from
>> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
>>
>> Crippled Hard Drive: No bracket unless you buy it from
>> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
>> Only one connector
>> on
>> the drive cable! Gotta replace that too for a 2nd drive.
>>
>> But they DID screw up! They gave me a data cable for the CD with TWO,
>> count
>> 'em TWO, connectors so I don't have to replace that cable! Hurry and
>> order
>> this crippled POS before they can figure out what else they can get away
>> with stripping out of the system. Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated
>> cardboard for the case instead of that expensive metal?!
>>
>> Thanks Dell! You suck!!
>>

> I have to agree with the others on this one, Dell is not the one who
> screwed up here, rather the customer didn't know what they were getting
> into.
>
> When you buy a very inexpensive system, you limit your ability to upgrade
> the machine. Dell did not hide the fact that the box doesn't have a
> graphics card slot, they didn't hide the fact that both memory slots were
> full. These items are clearly stated in the details.
>
> This is right from the system specs
>
> Memory
> 256 MB (single channel) shared3 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
>
> 512 MB - 1 GB (dual channel) shared3 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
>
> Note: 400MHz memory performs at 333MHz with 533MHz front side bus
> processor
>
> 2 DIMM slots
>

> Slots
> 3 PCI slots
>

> According to these specs, right from www.dell.com, you got EXACTLY what
> the 3000 comes with. Plain as day

Hank Arnold

Let me see.... You bought a system based purely on price without a clue as
to what is in it or how to expand it. Now you're ****ed at Dell...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I know....... Here's what you should do..........

GO AWAY!!!!!

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0MNTd.10265$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Crippled video upgradability: NO video slot, just 3 meezly PCI slots
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where it COULD have been!
>
> Crippled memory upgradability: Two memory slots, now full with two 256MB
> sticks.
> Upgrading renders
> those excess now have to buy twice as much to get to 1GB.
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where two slots COULD have been!
> Save a whole nickel
> and screw us good!!
>
> Crippled Floppy Disk: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
>
> Crippled Hard Drive: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
> Only one connector on
> the drive cable! Gotta replace that too for a 2nd drive.
>
> But they DID screw up! They gave me a data cable for the CD with TWO,
> count
> 'em TWO, connectors so I don't have to replace that cable! Hurry and
> order
> this crippled POS before they can figure out what else they can get away
> with stripping out of the system. Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated
> cardboard for the case instead of that expensive metal?!
>
> Thanks Dell! You suck!!

Hank Arnold

I'm doubtful that the asshole even bought one........

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >Jamie ranted
>>Thanks Dell! You suck!!

> This system is REGULARLY on sale for around $400.00 (US) often
> with a flat panel LCD monitor. What do you expect for this price.
> It is a good deal. If you can do better just buy that instead.
> The specs of this system are no secret.
> I am about ready to stop reading this news group. It is such
> a bitch session anymore. If you dont like Dell dont buy Dell.
> I buy whatever is the best value (Dell or another brand...) Just
> bought an HP laptop...it was a better deal than Dell (and came with
> an oem windows xp cd....I was shocked).
> Why did you not return the computer...they DO have a money back
> guarantee.
> Dave

schema

Whine, whine, whine, What the hell do you expect for a few dollars.
Spend some money and get a real Dell!
"Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0MNTd.10265$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Crippled video upgradability: NO video slot, just 3 meezly PCI slots
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where it COULD have been!
>
> Crippled memory upgradability: Two memory slots, now full with two 256MB
> sticks.
> Upgrading renders
> those excess now have to buy twice as much to get to 1GB.
> You get a nice solder
> pattern of holes where two slots COULD have been!
> Save a whole nickel
> and screw us good!!
>
> Crippled Floppy Disk: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
>
> Crippled Hard Drive: No bracket unless you buy it from
> them! $$ for a **** piece of metal.
> Only one connector on
> the drive cable! Gotta replace that too for a 2nd drive.
>
> But they DID screw up! They gave me a data cable for the CD with TWO,
> count
> 'em TWO, connectors so I don't have to replace that cable! Hurry and
> order
> this crippled POS before they can figure out what else they can get away
> with stripping out of the system. Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated
> cardboard for the case instead of that expensive metal?!
>
> Thanks Dell! You suck!!

crippled 7800gs $100 more than 7800gt bigspud Nvidia 11 02-18-2006 07:51 PM
AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled alex goldman Laptops 46 08-26-2005 09:38 PM
"Crippled" 9700pro BuddyWh ATI 14 04-04-2005 11:46 PM
6800LE : How crippled is it? Spanyardo Nvidia 7 11-29-2004 11:42 PM
9800SE is only crippled by drivers John Smith ATI 17 01-19-2004 10:10 PM