Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop

RnR

Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

RnR

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
>slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
>32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
>all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
>within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
>help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
>expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
>missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
>hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
RnR wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
>> slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
>> 32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
>> all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
>> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
>> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
>> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
>> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
>> hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

> Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

--
Bill

RnR

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:27:13 -0600, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>RnR wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
>>> slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
>>> 32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
>>> all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
>>> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
>>> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
>>> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
>>> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
>>> hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

>> Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

>Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
>like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

I think I read most are. Just hate to install and have to uninstall
them one at a time. Funny but right now, all seems to run okay but I
haven't run the laptop too much. Looks good so far tho. I'm
installing some software right now on it. Thanks Bill.

Dave

On Jan 17, 10:39*am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:27:13 -0600, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Innews:(E-Mail Removed) ,
> >RnR wrote:

> >> Guess I'll google it for the now. * Thanks.

> >Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
> >like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

> I think I read most are. *Just hate to install and have to uninstall
> them one at a time. * Funny but right now, all seems to run okay but I
> haven't run the laptop too much. *Looks good so far tho. *I'm
> installing some software right now on it. * Thanks Bill.

I've seen this be the card reader device.
Install the vista one and see.

Dave

Alan

I have one which came with Vista. Recently, I updated it to WIN7 with
no problem. As others have said, MS kept the same driver model, and
all the specific Dell functions are working fine with the old drivers.
Also, WIN7 has the ability to use even older drivers in compatibility
mode. In the device driver, you may be able to find something under
the update section.

--
Alan

dg1261

Dave's right -- the card reader driver will usually take care of one or two
of the yellow exclamation marks, and the Intel chipset driver might take
care of the rest. Download/install the Vista drivers for both the Intel
and Ricoh chipsets from the Dell website and see if that takes care of
them.

RnR

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:56:03 +0000 (UTC), dg1261
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dave's right -- the card reader driver will usually take care of one or two
>of the yellow exclamation marks, and the Intel chipset driver might take
>care of the rest. Download/install the Vista drivers for both the Intel
>and Ricoh chipsets from the Dell website and see if that takes care of
>them.

Will try to if I find them and update this thread then. Thanks I
hope.

Christopher Muto

On 1/17/2012 10:07 AM, RnR wrote:
> that lists three line items
> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll fi

no cross posting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

the best approach to resolving this is to first run windows update
repeatedly until there are no more updates to be had. in many cases
windows update will solve the driver problem for you. if it does not
then open device manager and double click the item in question and then
click the 'details' tab. there you can select the 'hardware id' drop
down and find the vendor (manufacturer) and device id. with this
information in hand then a drive can be found on the manufacturers site.
after trying all the above and you still can't find the driver then
report the ven and dev id here for further assistance.

RnR

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:04:20 -0500, Christopher Muto
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 1/17/2012 10:07 AM, RnR wrote:
>> that lists three line items
>> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
>> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
>> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
>> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll fi

>no cross posting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
>
>the best approach to resolving this is to first run windows update
>repeatedly until there are no more updates to be had. in many cases
>windows update will solve the driver problem for you. if it does not
>then open device manager and double click the item in question and then
>click the 'details' tab. there you can select the 'hardware id' drop
>down and find the vendor (manufacturer) and device id. with this
>information in hand then a drive can be found on the manufacturers site.
>after trying all the above and you still can't find the driver then
>report the ven and dev id here for further assistance.

Thanks. I didn't do your approach because I hadn't thought of it nor
read your reply in time. Besides, I'm not a big fan of MS updates
anyway which might explain why I didn't think of it. That said, I
had another problem with no sound. Long story short, I installed a
audio driver (not associated with this Tag # I might add) recommended
by other internet sources and viola, my sound came back. Not only
that, the driver problem was solved. I can't explain why but all is
well now. This is not to say your approach wouldn't have worked but
that this worked for me.

Even tho I don't like MS updates, I may do it regardless to maybe
solve other problems I haven't yet discovered. I will do this with my
fingers crossed as I am going against my rule of thumb. Thanks
again.

Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop RnR Laptops 6 01-18-2012 11:36 AM
Re: pcdecrapifier 2.0 run on new dell 1420 Vista laptop Ben Myers Dell 1 11-05-2008 08:46 PM
Re: pcdecrapifier 2.0 run on new dell 1420 Vista laptop Colin Wilson Dell 0 11-05-2008 06:23 PM
Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as a customer install Boris Dell 1 10-31-2008 02:27 PM
Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as acustomer install Pen Dell 1 10-29-2008 02:22 PM