Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop

RnR

Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

RnR

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
>slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
>32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
>all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
>within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
>help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
>expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
>missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
>hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
RnR wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
>> slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
>> 32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
>> all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
>> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
>> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
>> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
>> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
>> hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

> Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

--
Bill

RnR

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:27:13 -0600, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>RnR wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
>>> slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
>>> 32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
>>> all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
>>> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
>>> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
>>> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
>>> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
>>> hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

>> Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

>Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
>like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

I think I read most are. Just hate to install and have to uninstall
them one at a time. Funny but right now, all seems to run okay but I
haven't run the laptop too much. Looks good so far tho. I'm
installing some software right now on it. Thanks Bill.

Dave

On Jan 17, 10:39*am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:27:13 -0600, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Innews:(E-Mail Removed) ,
> >RnR wrote:

> >> Guess I'll google it for the now. * Thanks.

> >Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
> >like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

> I think I read most are. *Just hate to install and have to uninstall
> them one at a time. * Funny but right now, all seems to run okay but I
> haven't run the laptop too much. *Looks good so far tho. *I'm
> installing some software right now on it. * Thanks Bill.

I've seen this be the card reader device.
Install the vista one and see.

Dave

dg1261

Dave's right -- the card reader driver will usually take care of one or two
of the yellow exclamation marks, and the Intel chipset driver might take
care of the rest. Download/install the Vista drivers for both the Intel
and Ricoh chipsets from the Dell website and see if that takes care of
them.

RnR

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:56:03 +0000 (UTC), dg1261
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dave's right -- the card reader driver will usually take care of one or two
>of the yellow exclamation marks, and the Intel chipset driver might take
>care of the rest. Download/install the Vista drivers for both the Intel
>and Ricoh chipsets from the Dell website and see if that takes care of
>them.

Will try to if I find them and update this thread then. Thanks I
hope.

Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop RnR Dell 14 01-20-2012 12:14 AM
Re: pcdecrapifier 2.0 run on new dell 1420 Vista laptop Ben Myers Dell 1 11-05-2008 08:46 PM
Re: pcdecrapifier 2.0 run on new dell 1420 Vista laptop Colin Wilson Dell 0 11-05-2008 06:23 PM
Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as a customer install Boris Dell 1 10-31-2008 02:27 PM
Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as acustomer install Pen Dell 1 10-29-2008 02:22 PM