Dell Inspiron 2600 display compatibility problem.

mike

I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop.
The display seems to be "incompatible"
When you try install XP, it ends up in
4-color vga mode. The hardware seems
to be incompatible with existing software.

Yes, you can install the windows drivers
from the DELL website to fix windows,
but what about stuff that isn't windows?

Been a while, but I remember giving up
on a linux installation.

IN particular, I'm trying to run the Acronis
rescue disk to restore a backup. Acronis works
fine from windows to backup, but I need to boot
the rescue disk to restore it.
The display is unusable and I can't figger
out how to make it work well enough to get
the restore done.

Yes, I can reinstall windows, reinstall acronis,
and do the restore from inside windows. I'd rather
not do that.

Suggestions?
Thanks, mike

Roger Mills

On 01/06/2011 04:49, mike wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop.
> The display seems to be "incompatible"
> When you try install XP, it ends up in
> 4-color vga mode. The hardware seems
> to be incompatible with existing software.
>
> Yes, you can install the windows drivers
> from the DELL website to fix windows,
> but what about stuff that isn't windows?
>
> Been a while, but I remember giving up
> on a linux installation.
>
> IN particular, I'm trying to run the Acronis
> rescue disk to restore a backup. Acronis works
> fine from windows to backup, but I need to boot
> the rescue disk to restore it.
> The display is unusable and I can't figger
> out how to make it work well enough to get
> the restore done.
>
> Yes, I can reinstall windows, reinstall acronis,
> and do the restore from inside windows. I'd rather
> not do that.
>
> Suggestions?
> Thanks, mike

What happens if you plug in an external monitor?
--
Cheers,
Roger

mike

Roger Mills wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 04:49, mike wrote:
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop.
>> The display seems to be "incompatible"
>> When you try install XP, it ends up in
>> 4-color vga mode. The hardware seems
>> to be incompatible with existing software.
>>
>> Yes, you can install the windows drivers
>> from the DELL website to fix windows,
>> but what about stuff that isn't windows?
>>
>> Been a while, but I remember giving up
>> on a linux installation.
>>
>> IN particular, I'm trying to run the Acronis
>> rescue disk to restore a backup. Acronis works
>> fine from windows to backup, but I need to boot
>> the rescue disk to restore it.
>> The display is unusable and I can't figger
>> out how to make it work well enough to get
>> the restore done.
>>
>> Yes, I can reinstall windows, reinstall acronis,
>> and do the restore from inside windows. I'd rather
>> not do that.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>> Thanks, mike

> What happens if you plug in an external monitor?

Display looks fine initially, Acronis rescue disk loads, but reboots
when I try to navigate
to the backup destination directory.