Dell Latitude C610: Wrong CPU temp?

Lars Behrens

Hi there,

anyone having experience with the C610 here?

Have one here with the fan is working on full speed constantly because
the CPU temp is measured with constantly 85 degrees, which can't be
correct, or am I wrong there?

I already exchanged the CPU with a different one, that changed nothing.
Throttling the fan down only works for a second or so.

Does anyone know if one can access the temp sensor, or make it work again?

TIA!

--
Cheerz,
Lars

BillW50

In news:icdf89$6mj$(E-Mail Removed),
Lars Behrens typed on Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:04:55 +0100:
> Hi there,
>
> anyone having experience with the C610 here?
>
> Have one here with the fan is working on full speed constantly because
> the CPU temp is measured with constantly 85 degrees, which can't be
> correct, or am I wrong there?
>
> I already exchanged the CPU with a different one, that changed
> nothing. Throttling the fan down only works for a second or so.
>
> Does anyone know if one can access the temp sensor, or make it work
> again?
>
> TIA!

Lucky you! I have one laptop (Gateway MX6124) that reads too low and
burns out the CPU because the fan never thinks it is that hot (reads
10F too low at idle and 40F too low at max). It only burns out if you
max the CPU for weeks though, and works fine for light duty tasks like
email and browsing. I have two more of the same model that work
perfectly. If that laptop has an Intel CPU, I believe the sensor is in
the CPU itself. I know that doesn't help much.

I have one netbook (Asus EeePC 702) that will sometimes read 0C (32F)
and it freaks out and kicks the fan on max (go figure, freezing and kick
the fan to max). With software, although I can control the fan speed
(unlike you). My fix is to remove power and the main battery and it will
work well once again until the next time it happens again. Like 3 times
per week. Although I usually use my other 702 which works perfectly. I
don't know, maybe this will unstuck yours too.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Lars Behrens

Am 23.11.2010 03:25, schrieb BillW50:

> My fix is to remove power and the main battery and it will
> work well once again until the next time it happens again. Like 3 times
> per week. Although I usually use my other 702 which works perfectly. I
> don't know, maybe this will unstuck yours too.

Unfortunately that doesn't help here. Quite a bummer as that is
basically a good lappy but, alas, unusable with the amount of noise it
produces.

Thanks anyways!

--
Cheerz,
Lars

BillW50

In news:icfrmk$4ua$(E-Mail Removed),
Lars Behrens typed on Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:49:39 +0100:
> Am 23.11.2010 03:25, schrieb BillW50:
>
>> My fix is to remove power and the main battery and it will
>> work well once again until the next time it happens again. Like 3
>> times per week. Although I usually use my other 702 which works
>> perfectly. I don't know, maybe this will unstuck yours too.

> Unfortunately that doesn't help here. Quite a bummer as that is
> basically a good lappy but, alas, unusable with the amount of noise it
> produces.
>
> Thanks anyways!

Well two other possibilities. One there might be a BIOS update to
correct this problem. There was for my Asus 702, but it didn't help me.
But others claimed it worked for them.

Another idea is to add one or more rectifier diodes in series with the
fan. Each diode will drop the fan voltage by 0.7 volts.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

ps56k

"Lars Behrens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:icdf89$6mj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> anyone having experience with the C610 here?
>
> Have one here with the fan is working on full speed constantly because
> the CPU temp is measured with constantly 85 degrees, which can't be
> correct, or am I wrong there?
>
> I already exchanged the CPU with a different one, that changed nothing.
> Throttling the fan down only works for a second or so.
>
> Does anyone know if one can access the temp sensor, or make it work again?

how did you take the temp ?

I brought up Everest on my C610 -
and the "sensor" shows 51C or 124F
which doesn't seem right... with fan off or on

Lars Behrens

Am 25.11.2010 07:11, schrieb ps56k:

> how did you take the temp ?

I took it with i8kctrl

> I brought up Everest on my C610 -
> and the "sensor" shows 51C or 124F
> which doesn't seem right... with fan off or on

And the fan goes on and off despite of the temp?

--
Cheerz,
Lars

Lars Behrens

Am 22.11.2010 11:04, schrieb Lars Behrens:

> Does anyone know if one can access the temp sensor, or make it work again?

Here is the solution:
http://www.notebookforums.com/thread224044.html

The short story:

Pressing Fn+Y, which in english layout is Fn+Z reset the whole mess.
Everything working as it should now.

--
Cheerz,
Lars

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lars Behrens wrote:
> Am 22.11.2010 11:04, schrieb Lars Behrens:
>
>> Does anyone know if one can access the temp sensor, or make it work
>> again?

> Here is the solution:
> http://www.notebookforums.com/thread224044.html
>
> The short story:
>
> Pressing Fn+Y, which in english layout is Fn+Z reset the whole mess.
> Everything working as it should now.

Great result! Thanks for sharing the solution too, I've put it in a text
file in my 'Dell' folder of my accumulated laptop info.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Ben Myers

On 12/2/2010 6:16 AM, Lars Behrens wrote:
> Am 22.11.2010 11:04, schrieb Lars Behrens:
>
>> Does anyone know if one can access the temp sensor, or make it work again?

> Here is the solution:
> http://www.notebookforums.com/thread224044.html
>
> The short story:
>
> Pressing Fn+Y, which in english layout is Fn+Z reset the whole mess.
> Everything working as it should now.

Wow! That's really cool! VERY useful information... Ben Myers

BillW50

In news:if5231$jnb$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
Ben Myers typed on Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:20:01 -0500:
> On 12/2/2010 6:16 AM, Lars Behrens wrote:
>> Am 22.11.2010 11:04, schrieb Lars Behrens:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if one can access the temp sensor, or make it work
>>> again?

>> Here is the solution:
>> http://www.notebookforums.com/thread224044.html
>>
>> The short story:
>>
>> Pressing Fn+Y, which in english layout is Fn+Z reset the whole mess.
>> Everything working as it should now.
>>

> Wow! That's really cool! VERY useful information... Ben Myers

Yes that is a good one. Although I don't believe Dell wanted this is get
out, do you? And I often wondered if an ex-employee who got laid off or
something let this out? Although I fear if they were still working for
Dell, they probably isn't now. :-(