Dell m/b in a generic case?

Junior Member

I have to agree with the comment about searching results coming up with identical problems and typically no solutions, but it stands to reason people are looking for answers more then there are people sharing things they've found that work... They fix a problem a move on. I bought an upgrade mobo Dell board but decided I had the chance to give the old one a new home. though it's a bit wasted in a nice ATX case a much newer board can reside it... This is a Dell Pentium 2 Slot 1 mobo with three SDRAM slots that are less then 1GB Ram spec, IIRC. ISA slots still around too. No good AGP speed here, PCI slots only. Anyway, thanks for the links and pinpout help.
Even though this thread is very old, it's still useful!!!

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix2000 View Post
I know this thread is old, but just in case someone stumbles across this form looking for the answer, here it is. Nothing infuriates me more than looking for the answer to a question, and only finding other people with the same question and no answer.

I have successfully placed a Dell Optiplex GX270 MB in an Aspire Qpack case. I had to drill holes and insert my own MB risers. I also had to cover the original risers with electric tape as not to short out anything. Also I had to offset the MB from the center to align the PCI and AGP slots thus disabling the MB slide out tray. This was not an issue as I am used to the old days when men were men and cases were difficult.

The slightly difficult part was connecting the QPak's PWR switch, PWR LED and HD LED to the propritary connector. Because I have the front panel board with the PWR switch, PWR LED and HD LED, I just followed the simple circuit and determined where the connectors should go on the front panel board with the two USB connectors and earphone jack.

If you do not have these two front panel boards, here is a pinout I found.

This only relates to Power switch HD and Power Leds.
Front USB is unknown.

O O
O O
O O
O O
O O
O O
O O
O O
O O
PWR + -- O O -- PWR GRD
HD LED + -- O KEY
O O -- PWR LED -
O O --GRD
O O -- PWR LED +
O O --PWR LED GRD
O O
O O

I currently have the GX270 MB in an Aspire Qpack with 7 internal 300GB HDs containing 500 movies ripped from DVD and an internal LG 16X DL DVD burner. Works great.

P.S. By the way if you need to replace the CPU fan, the easiest way is to get a molex fan and disable keyboard events in the BIOS to get rid of the fan alert message. No need to jump the CPU fan connector.
My mother board is from a Dell Precision 350, is the pin out the same as on the GX270?