Dell Optiplex 755 - Boots up on it's own.

bubba@earthlink.com

Don't know what's going on here. Talked to Dell support and they put
me in a "rebooting" category, which is not my problem.

I have a Dell Optiplex 755, 4GB ram, intel core 2 duo processor E6550
@ 233GHx. Running Windows7 Ultimate x64.

This computer boots up on it's own. For awhile, it would start, run
for 10 or so seconds, and turn off. It did this every 10 or 15
minutes. Now it completely boots on it's own unless I disconnect the
power cord.

I ran the system diagnostics program and found no errors. I checked
the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up.
I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bob_Villa

On Feb 11, 7:06*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Don't know what's going on here. Talked to Dell support and they put
> me in a "rebooting" category, which is not my problem.
>
> I have a Dell Optiplex 755, 4GB ram, intel core 2 duo processor E6550
> @ 233GHx. Running Windows7 Ultimate x64.
>
> This computer boots up on it's own. For awhile, it would start, run
> for 10 or so seconds, and turn off. It did this every 10 or 15
> minutes. Now it completely boots on it's own unless I disconnect the
> power cord.
>
> I ran the system diagnostics program and found no errors. I checked
> the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up.
> I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You say "boots up on its own" and then refer to "wake this
machine"...is it off or in sleep? There is "wake on LAN" in your
network adapter settings.

Larry

On Feb 11, 6:06*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Don't know what's going on here. Talked to Dell support and they put
> me in a "rebooting" category, which is not my problem.
>
> I have a Dell Optiplex 755, 4GB ram, intel core 2 duo processor E6550
> @ 233GHx. Running Windows7 Ultimate x64.
>
> This computer boots up on it's own. For awhile, it would start, run
> for 10 or so seconds, and turn off. It did this every 10 or 15
> minutes. Now it completely boots on it's own unless I disconnect the
> power cord.
>
> I ran the system diagnostics program and found no errors. I checked
> the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up.
> I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

A long shot suggestion...but I have a laptop that would turn itself on
when I first purchased it. Dell tech was no help but found the
solution when I googled a description of the problem. My problem was
solved by unchecking box next to the "Allow this device to wake the
computer" under the Power Management tab in the WLAN Mini Card
Properties.

Larry

Larry

On Feb 12, 6:45*am, Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 7:06*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Don't know what's going on here. Talked to Dell support and they put
> > me in a "rebooting" category, which is not my problem.

> > I have a Dell Optiplex 755, 4GB ram, intel core 2 duo processor E6550
> > @ 233GHx. Running Windows7 Ultimate x64.

> > This computer boots up on it's own. For awhile, it would start, run
> > for 10 or so seconds, and turn off. It did this every 10 or 15
> > minutes. Now it completely boots on it's own unless I disconnect the
> > power cord.

> > I ran the system diagnostics program and found no errors. I checked
> > the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up.
> > I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

> You say "boots up on its own" and then refer to "wake this
> machine"...is it off or in sleep? *There is "wake on LAN" in your
> network adapter settings.

He said he had to disconnect the power cord so it sounds like it the
computer would power up on its own from a complete shut down. That is
exactly what happened in my case. Before I found the solution for my
laptop I had to disconnect the power cord and remove the battery so
the laptop would not start up on its own.

Larry

Bob_Villa

On Feb 12, 9:31*am, Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 6:45*am, Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 11, 7:06*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > Don't know what's going on here. Talked to Dell support and they put
> > > me in a "rebooting" category, which is not my problem.

> > > I have a Dell Optiplex 755, 4GB ram, intel core 2 duo processor E6550
> > > @ 233GHx. Running Windows7 Ultimate x64.

> > > This computer boots up on it's own. For awhile, it would start, run
> > > for 10 or so seconds, and turn off. It did this every 10 or 15
> > > minutes. Now it completely boots on it's own unless I disconnect the
> > > power cord.

> > > I ran the system diagnostics program and found no errors. I checked
> > > the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up..
> > > I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

> > You say "boots up on its own" and then refer to "wake this
> > machine"...is it off or in sleep? *There is "wake on LAN" in your
> > network adapter settings.

> He said he had to disconnect the power cord so it sounds like it the
> computer would power up on its own from a complete shut down. That is
> exactly what happened in my case. *Before I found the solution for my
> laptop I had to disconnect the power cord and remove the battery so
> the laptop would not start up on its own.
>
> Larry

Never heard of that from a total shut-down!?!

bubba@earthlink.com

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 05:50:49 -0800 (PST), Larry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Feb 11, 6:06*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Don't know what's going on here. Talked to Dell support and they put
>> me in a "rebooting" category, which is not my problem.
>>
>> I have a Dell Optiplex 755, 4GB ram, intel core 2 duo processor E6550
>> @ 233GHx. Running Windows7 Ultimate x64.
>>
>> This computer boots up on it's own. For awhile, it would start, run
>> for 10 or so seconds, and turn off. It did this every 10 or 15
>> minutes. Now it completely boots on it's own unless I disconnect the
>> power cord.
>>
>> I ran the system diagnostics program and found no errors. I checked
>> the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up.
>> I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

>A long shot suggestion...but I have a laptop that would turn itself on
>when I first purchased it. Dell tech was no help but found the
>solution when I googled a description of the problem. My problem was
>solved by unchecking box next to the "Allow this device to wake the
>computer" under the Power Management tab in the WLAN Mini Card
>Properties.
>
>Larry

I tried that "Allow this device to wake the
computer" a few days ago. Also tried unhooking my LAN ethernet cable.
Didn't make any difference.
I'm sorry I was not clear. The computer wakes from total shutdown. I
never had this problem before. It used to boot for a few seconds every
10 or 15 minutes, then shut down. Now, all by itself, it boots 2 or 3
times,for a few seconds, with these numbers on the front panel lit:
1,3,4, and the HDD. Then it turns itself off. A few minutes later it
boots up by itself and is running. When it is on, everything seems to
be working fine.
Maybe a corrupted BIOS? I'll try flashing it. I can't think of
anything else.

Larry

On Feb 12, 8:38*am, Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 9:31*am, Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > You say "boots up on its own" and then refer to "wake this
> > > machine"...is it off or in sleep? *There is "wake on LAN" in your
> > > network adapter settings.

> > He said he had to disconnect the power cord so it sounds like it the
> > computer would power up on its own from a complete shut down. That is
> > exactly what happened in my case. *Before I found the solution for my
> > laptop I had to disconnect the power cord and remove the battery so
> > the laptop would not start up on its own.

> > Larry

> Never heard of that from a total shut-down!?!

I know...it was weird! I wondered why that capability would be there
in the first place, let alone have it be the default setting from the
factory.

Larry

bubba@earthlink.com

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:50:16 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 05:50:49 -0800 (PST), Larry
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Feb 11, 6:06*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Don't know what's going on here. Talked to Dell support and they put
>>> me in a "rebooting" category, which is not my problem.
>>>
>>> I have a Dell Optiplex 755, 4GB ram, intel core 2 duo processor E6550
>>> @ 233GHx. Running Windows7 Ultimate x64.
>>>
>>> This computer boots up on it's own. For awhile, it would start, run
>>> for 10 or so seconds, and turn off. It did this every 10 or 15
>>> minutes. Now it completely boots on it's own unless I disconnect the
>>> power cord.
>>>
>>> I ran the system diagnostics program and found no errors. I checked
>>> the BIOS and made sure that nothing external can wake this machine up.
>>> I am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

>>A long shot suggestion...but I have a laptop that would turn itself on
>>when I first purchased it. Dell tech was no help but found the
>>solution when I googled a description of the problem. My problem was
>>solved by unchecking box next to the "Allow this device to wake the
>>computer" under the Power Management tab in the WLAN Mini Card
>>Properties.
>>
>>Larry

>I tried that "Allow this device to wake the
>computer" a few days ago. Also tried unhooking my LAN ethernet cable.
>Didn't make any difference.
>I'm sorry I was not clear. The computer wakes from total shutdown. I
>never had this problem before. It used to boot for a few seconds every
>10 or 15 minutes, then shut down. Now, all by itself, it boots 2 or 3
>times,for a few seconds, with these numbers on the front panel lit:
>1,3,4, and the HDD. Then it turns itself off. A few minutes later it
>boots up by itself and is running. When it is on, everything seems to
>be working fine.
>Maybe a corrupted BIOS? I'll try flashing it. I can't think of
>anything else.

It appears that the BIOS flash did the trick. I don't know why I
didn't think of it sooner. The machine also appears to be running
faster, although I have not clocked anything.
It sat without booting for an hour, which it hasn't done for a week,
so maybe I got lucky. Thanks.

Larry

On Feb 12, 11:42*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:50:16 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 05:50:49 -0800 (PST), Larry
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>A long shot suggestion...but I have a laptop that would turn itself on
> >>when I first purchased it. *Dell tech was no help but found the
> >>solution when I googled a description of the problem. *My problem was
> >>solved by unchecking *box next to the "Allow this device to wake the
> >>computer" under the Power Management tab in the WLAN Mini Card
> >>Properties.

> >>Larry

> >I tried that "Allow this device to wake the
> >computer" a few days ago. Also tried unhooking my LAN ethernet cable.
> >Didn't make any difference.
> >I'm sorry I was not clear. The computer wakes from total shutdown. I
> >never had this problem before. It used to boot for a few seconds every
> >10 or 15 minutes, then shut down. Now, all by itself, it boots 2 or 3
> >times,for a few seconds, with these numbers on the front panel lit:
> >1,3,4, and the HDD. Then it turns itself off. A few minutes later it
> >boots up by itself and is running. When it is on, everything seems to
> >be working fine.
> >Maybe a corrupted BIOS? I'll try flashing it. I can't think of
> >anything else.

> It appears that the BIOS flash did the trick. I don't know why I
> didn't think of it sooner. The machine also appears to be running
> faster, although I have not clocked anything.
> It sat without booting for an hour, which it hasn't done for a week,
> so maybe I got lucky. Thanks.

Thanks for reporting back!

Larry

Bob_Villa

On Feb 12, 12:42*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> It appears that the BIOS flash did the trick. I don't know why I
> didn't think of it sooner. The machine also appears to be running
> faster, although I have not clocked anything.
> It sat without booting for an hour, which it hasn't done for a week,
> so maybe I got lucky. Thanks.

Wow, Great work! Ya, thanks for letting us know!

dell optiplex 755 desktop serial2 pinout (help needed) dell755 Dell 1 03-23-2012 09:45 PM
Dell desktop with built-in eSATA - Optiplex 755 Timothy Daniels Dell 8 03-07-2008 01:45 AM
Optiplex 755 Beagler Dell 1 12-27-2007 12:04 PM
New Optiplex 755 has Intel 6x50 CPU! Keith Dell 0 08-31-2007 03:23 PM
ECS 755-A / 755-A2 ? Mirko ECS 3 02-08-2004 04:39 PM