Dell Optiplex GX260 -- 2nd serial port

Mr. X

Hi.

Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.

I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
adaptor. But not here.

The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.

Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...rd.htm#1111216
(first diagram, item #15)

To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
standard cable will fit.

Standard layout:

o o o o
o o o o o

Dell layout:

o o o o o
o o o o o o

I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).

So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?

Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
Dell, obviously!)

Thanks
===
Mark T.

Pen

Dell does mention a "serial port adapter" for it here;
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...ds.htm#1104768
Did they deny its existence?

"Mr. X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi.
>
> Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
>
> I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
> normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
> adaptor. But not here.
>
> The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
>
> Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...rd.htm#1111216
> (first diagram, item #15)
>
> To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> standard cable will fit.
>

> Standard layout:
>
> o o o o
> o o o o o
>

> Dell layout:
>
> o o o o o
> o o o o o o
>

> I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
>

> So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
>
> Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
> Dell, obviously!)
>

> Thanks
> ===
> Mark T.

Mr. X

Yes they do!

I don't mind making the cable myself, but then I need a plastic piece
(12-pin) that would fit the connector on the mobo, and the pinout
naturally.

Would you have this info?

I guess I could start looking at second-hand PC parts sites, but I
doubt I would find something that specific...

Mark T.

"Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Dell does mention a "serial port adapter" for it here;
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...ds.htm#1104768
> Did they deny its existence?
>
> "Mr. X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi.
> >
> > Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
> >
> > I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
> > normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
> > adaptor. But not here.
> >
> > The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
> >
> > Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...rd.htm#1111216
> > (first diagram, item #15)
> >
> > To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> > standard cable will fit.
> >

> > Standard layout:
> >
> > o o o o
> > o o o o o
> >

> > Dell layout:
> >
> > o o o o o
> > o o o o o o
> >

> > I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> > ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> > heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> > show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
> >

> > So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> > know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
> >
> > Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
> > Dell, obviously!)
> >

> > Thanks
> > ===
> > Mark T.

Pen

Sorry, I'm no help.

"Mr. X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Yes they do!
>
> I don't mind making the cable myself, but then I need a plastic piece
> (12-pin) that would fit the connector on the mobo, and the pinout
> naturally.
>
> Would you have this info?
>
> I guess I could start looking at second-hand PC parts sites, but I
> doubt I would find something that specific...
>
> Mark T.
>

> "Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Dell does mention a "serial port adapter" for it here;
> > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...ds.htm#1104768
> > Did they deny its existence?
> >
> > "Mr. X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
> > >
> > > I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
> > > normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
> > > adaptor. But not here.
> > >
> > > The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
> > >
> > > Ref:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...rd.htm#1111216
> > > (first diagram, item #15)
> > >
> > > To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> > > standard cable will fit.
> > >

> > > Standard layout:
> > >
> > > o o o o
> > > o o o o o
> > >

> > > Dell layout:
> > >
> > > o o o o o
> > > o o o o o o
> > >

> > > I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> > > ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> > > heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> > > show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
> > >

> > > So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> > > know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
> > >
> > > Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
> > > Dell, obviously!)
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > > ===
> > > Mark T.

S.Lewis

"Mr. X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi.
>
> Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
>
> I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
> normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
> adaptor. But not here.
>
> The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
>
> Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...rd.htm#1111216
> (first diagram, item #15)
>
> To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> standard cable will fit.
>

> Standard layout:
>
> o o o o
> o o o o o
>

> Dell layout:
>
> o o o o o
> o o o o o o
>

> I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
>

> So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
>
> Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
> Dell, obviously!)
>

> Thanks
> ===
> Mark T.

Hold your nose and call Dell spare parts:1-800-357-3355 . The SKU for that
part is 310-1675 according to their website.

The reason the system didn't come with this second serial port is because it
is a $9 add-on option (that apparently wasn't ordered at the time of
purchase).

Stew

Mr. X

Stew,

Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.

I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.

It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
it is everywhere else. (sigh)

Mark T.

"S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<jtrjc.18924$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> "Mr. X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi.
> >
> > Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
> >
> > I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
> > normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
> > adaptor. But not here.
> >
> > The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
> >
> > Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...rd.htm#1111216
> > (first diagram, item #15)
> >
> > To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> > standard cable will fit.
> >

> > Standard layout:
> >
> > o o o o
> > o o o o o
> >

> > Dell layout:
> >
> > o o o o o
> > o o o o o o
> >

> > I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> > ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> > heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> > show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
> >

> > So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> > know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
> >
> > Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
> > Dell, obviously!)
> >

> > Thanks
> > ===
> > Mark T.

> Hold your nose and call Dell spare parts:1-800-357-3355 . The SKU for that
> part is 310-1675 according to their website.
>
> The reason the system didn't come with this second serial port is because it
> is a $9 add-on option (that apparently wasn't ordered at the time of
> purchase).
>

> Stew

S.Lewis

"Mr. X" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Stew,
>
> Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.
>
> I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
> Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.
>
> It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
> not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
> it is everywhere else. (sigh)
>

> Mark T.

<snip>

Try this number then:

Dell (UK) is 0870 907 4000, ask for Part Sales, option 4. Let's hope the
SKU is the same, as I don't have the 5 digit (dell) part number handy. The
part is referred to on their website as "second serial port adapter". This
SKU will work in the tower, the small desktop, but will NOT ( I don't think)
work in the slimline GX260 (if there is such an animal, the card brackets
are low profile whereas this part is full bracket length).

Good luck

Stew

Declan

Try Dell part number 5P418. Their description is "SERIAL Port Adapter,
Assembly, Bracket/Connector, Half Height"..

gostraighto..dell

Did anyone find a solution to this problem
The spares part 5P418 is very hard to find ..read end of line
The sales option 310-1675 has a full height case brkt but has th
right m.brd plastic cnctr
Anyone try a 310-6619 for a half height to suit a small form facto

Your help would be really appreciated!

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostraighto..dell
Did anyone find a solution to this problem
Um, dunno about solution, but as an EE, and board designer, I know how simplicity often makes our life significantly easier. So, I figured that pins 11 and 12 must be the "enable" pins. Shorting them together with a jumper proves indeed this is the case, and now Serial Port 2 shows up in the BIOS (whereas previously it was not there).

In regards to how to make this mod work for you, you may have to use some ingenuity and find some older DB9-only header boards, then modify it with a 12-pin header, and manually short pins 11 and 12 to enable it, while connecting pins 1-9 normally (10 is No-Connect).