Dell Optiplex GX270 Motherboard replacements

trayyart@gmail.com

Our research group bought 4 Optiplex GX270s two years ago. Our warranty
has since run out and two of our systems have since developed problems.
After mixing and matching parts between all four systems we discovered
two bad motherboards (part #U1325). Neither of the motherboards seemed
to have bulging capacitors.

I'm having a tough time tracking down replacements boards, that are in
stock, for a reasonable price (<$200). Does anyone know, is it possible
to replace Dell motherboards in the GX270 with another non-Dell board?
Or is the size and pin config still proprietary to Dell?

Thanks,
Ray

S.Lewis

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Our research group bought 4 Optiplex GX270s two years ago. Our warranty
> has since run out and two of our systems have since developed problems.
> After mixing and matching parts between all four systems we discovered
> two bad motherboards (part #U1325). Neither of the motherboards seemed
> to have bulging capacitors.
>
> I'm having a tough time tracking down replacements boards, that are in
> stock, for a reasonable price (<$200). Does anyone know, is it possible
> to replace Dell motherboards in the GX270 with another non-Dell board?
> Or is the size and pin config still proprietary to Dell?
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

Hiya Ray -

Dilemmas, dilemmas.

I'd look on ebay. Yes, ebay. Find a good price and a seller with
near-perfect feedback.

http://search.ebay.com//search/searc...70+motherboard

Example of this: I was brought a Dimension 4550 and determined the board to
be dead (part 6U214).

In an effort to secure a Dell warranteed part, I called their spare parts
division. The price quoted: $276.36 shipping and tax. Completely
unrealistic given the age of the machine and the fact that I could buy an
entire 4550 used tower for a small bit more than that (depending on the
specs.).

I located a seller on ebay out of Texas with 99%+ feedback and acquired a
board using 'buy it now' for $63.00 (including shipping), new and still
sealed in the OEM ESD bag. I'd call that a substantial savings, even
without a 1-year Dell warranty behind it.

I'd pointedly ask the seller if the boards for sale have the Nichicon
capacitors:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/whurd/Bad.jpg

http://news.com.com/PCs+plagued+by+b...3-5942647.html

Stew

trayyart@gmail.com

Thanks Stew,

I guess I should have been more specific. We have ATX towers not the
micros. I've been keeping my eyes open for the boards on eBay but so
far nothing, and I'm starting to run short on time so I'm looking
for some other options. Here's what I've found, but they're
either way too expensive or, out of stock.

http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectB...tNumber=0U1325

http://www.impactcomputers.com/u1325.html

http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-92217182478112/u1325.html

Has anyone ever had any success (or failure) with non-Dell boards in
their Dell machines?

Ray

peterfelgate@hotmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks Stew,
>
> I guess I should have been more specific. We have ATX towers not the
> micros. I've been keeping my eyes open for the boards on eBay but so
> far nothing, and I'm starting to run short on time so I'm looking
> for some other options. Here's what I've found, but they're
> either way too expensive or, out of stock.
>
> http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectB...tNumber=0U1325
>
> http://www.impactcomputers.com/u1325.html
>
> http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-92217182478112/u1325.html
>
> Has anyone ever had any success (or failure) with non-Dell boards in
> their Dell machines?
>
> Ray

I'm not familiar with this partiicular model, but on most Dells the
different cases use the SAME motherboard - it is only the risers that
change. So if your current risers are OK, you can probably use the
smaller case motherboards.

Ben Myers

Yes, the larger models of GX270 use the same basic motherboard as the small form
factor box. The larger models add a "riser" board that that does not rise at
all. It acts as a planar extension, adding more PCI slots. If the OP obtains
SFF boards, some elbow grease would be required to attach the board to the
larger backplates used in the larger model.

As an alternative, some careful analysis of other Dell models, notably Precision
300-series and Dimension 8000-series may yield a suitable replacement board.
Both Precision 300s and Dimension 8000s use the same backplate arrangement, but
the board needs to use the same connectors and front panel wire leads.

.... Ben Myers

On 1 Feb 2006 00:32:21 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Thanks Stew,
>>
>> I guess I should have been more specific. We have ATX towers not the
>> micros. I've been keeping my eyes open for the boards on eBay but so
>> far nothing, and I'm starting to run short on time so I'm looking
>> for some other options. Here's what I've found, but they're
>> either way too expensive or, out of stock.
>>
>> http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectB...tNumber=0U1325
>>
>> http://www.impactcomputers.com/u1325.html
>>
>> http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-92217182478112/u1325.html
>>
>> Has anyone ever had any success (or failure) with non-Dell boards in
>> their Dell machines?
>>
>> Ray

>I'm not familiar with this partiicular model, but on most Dells the
>different cases use the SAME motherboard - it is only the risers that
>change. So if your current risers are OK, you can probably use the
>smaller case motherboards.

S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, the larger models of GX270 use the same basic motherboard as the
> small form
> factor box. The larger models add a "riser" board that that does not rise
> at
> all. It acts as a planar extension, adding more PCI slots. If the OP
> obtains
> SFF boards, some elbow grease would be required to attach the board to the
> larger backplates used in the larger model.
>
> As an alternative, some careful analysis of other Dell models, notably
> Precision
> 300-series and Dimension 8000-series may yield a suitable replacement
> board.
> Both Precision 300s and Dimension 8000s use the same backplate
> arrangement, but
> the board needs to use the same connectors and front panel wire leads.
>
> ... Ben Myers

Come to think of it, a Dimension 8300 board might work in that machine,
except that there would be no chassis intrusion switch connector but
basically the same form factor when on the quick release tray.

The GX270 uses the Intel 865 chipset while the 8300 uses the Intel 875...

Stew

Ben Myers

IIRC, probably a Precision 350 or 360 board would be OK, too... Ben

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:01:52 -0600, "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Yes, the larger models of GX270 use the same basic motherboard as the
>> small form
>> factor box. The larger models add a "riser" board that that does not rise
>> at
>> all. It acts as a planar extension, adding more PCI slots. If the OP
>> obtains
>> SFF boards, some elbow grease would be required to attach the board to the
>> larger backplates used in the larger model.
>>
>> As an alternative, some careful analysis of other Dell models, notably
>> Precision
>> 300-series and Dimension 8000-series may yield a suitable replacement
>> board.
>> Both Precision 300s and Dimension 8000s use the same backplate
>> arrangement, but
>> the board needs to use the same connectors and front panel wire leads.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>

>Come to think of it, a Dimension 8300 board might work in that machine,
>except that there would be no chassis intrusion switch connector but
>basically the same form factor when on the quick release tray.
>
>The GX270 uses the Intel 865 chipset while the 8300 uses the Intel 875...
>

>Stew

S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> IIRC, probably a Precision 350 or 360 board would be OK, too... Ben

I believe you, and that's good to know. I know squat about Precision.
Don't get many of them.

Hmm......yeah. The GX280 has a socket T/LGA 775 socket........no go there.

Stew

Ray

We did our homework and decided on the 8300. The Dimension 8300
motherboards worked like a charm, same form factor tray, so the
transistion was smooth. We transferred the CPU, RAM, etc. and fired
them up with minor problems. Once we downloaded all of the drivers from
Dell everything seemed to work. The only catch is that the 8300 has no
on-board video, so a card is required, we had AGP video cards in the GX
270s so the transistion was fairly smooth.

Thanks for the help.

Ray

Junior Member

I got one right here it and the unit came NEW

http://www.impactcomputers.com/u1325.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E-Mail Removed)