Dell Packardbell would be proud

metronid

My daughther owns a Dell Dimesion 2400
That is what she owns and that is what she uses

When it was given to her from her grandmother she also purchased an in home
3yr warranty

In any case she has had pretyy good luck with the unit.
I will clean up spyware and do other things to keep it up to snuff..

She received a Epson Printer for Christmas and let me know it was time
to install the printer.

I figured I would hook it up temporarily to the front USB hub as it would be
easier due the the surroundings and the existing wiring.

The printer was unpacked and the cartridges were placed in and I was ready
to cxarry over to the computer.
Why she needs two printers is another question but this one is a photo
printer.

The old printer works flawlessly and is plugged into the rear USB
She has Ipod nano whichs plugs into the front USB top connector

Only connector left is the bootom one
I plug in the printer and wait for it to be recognized
It does not happen

I assume it must be something else
I just must figure the something

I pull out the IPOD and place it there and it works
I figure what is happening

I get my magnifying glass and expore
Ponce Deleon would be proud of me
Columbus also
Maybe even Mr Bill

The bottom USB port had no plastic separator
I figured maybe my daughter committed sabotage

I asked her and she said
I have never ever used the front USB untill last week
and I used the top one because there is less chance of the cord ever
pulling out.

I go back to my magnifying glass and can see no remains of the black
separator
It looks as if it were never inserted during manufacturer

SoI call dell
Great place to learn a foreign language
No one there speaks English
I wish they had a press 1 for English

The tech tells me the part is not replaceable
I said excuse me
It behind the front bezel and connects to a 20 pin connector.

He puts me on hold
I am sorry but the whole MB needs to be replaced as it is part of the
motherboard
Incorrect bu he is kind of right

I said just send me the part or a tech to replace it

He puts me on hold

He returns in his broken english and says that I broke the item

I am now getting a little mad

Let me seak to your supervisor was my response

Fifteen minutes later
his brother comes on
Must be his brother because they speak the same language

Can I record this conversation was my first remark

In any case he agreed that a repair was needed
He asked me why I could not just live without one bad USB port
He said you have 4 others

I replied that I was sold a unit and it did not say that certain items were
not important
The manifest listed all items and did not say some were not important

So here is how it goes
They have to replace the whole MB and the front USB and all the cables and
another board
that resides up front some where
All for a part that costs maybe a few dollars

Why because dell ships the whole mb and all the associated items a 1 unit
Than they have to pay a tech to take out the old and put in the
new
Probably more of a cost than the original unit

Why not just ship a new one
Who nows
I am not in an economist

Love ya Dell

Elector

"metronid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [...]
>

> Can I record this conversation was my first remark
>
> In any case he agreed that a repair was needed
> He asked me why I could not just live without one bad USB port
> He said you have 4 others
>
> I replied that I was sold a unit and it did not say that certain
> items were not important
> The manifest listed all items and did not say some were not
> important
>
> So here is how it goes
> They have to replace the whole MB and the front USB and all the
> cables and another board
> that resides up front some where
> All for a part that costs maybe a few dollars
>
> Why because dell ships the whole mb and all the associated items a 1
> unit
> Than they have to pay a tech to take out the old and put in the
> new
> Probably more of a cost than the original unit

And that is similar to what happened to a friend of mine who had the
same problem. Although it happened 5 days after he bought it, the man
came and installed a new or was it a refurbish mother board. He then
tries the USB ports and low and behold the same thing occurred.

He also stated that the unit was supposed to be USB 2.0 but his 2.0
devices kept stating he was plugging a high speed device into a lower
speed USB. We called Dell again and they sent a man out with yet
another replacement and this time we sat there and watched as the man
installed everything and then we told him not to leave until the unit
was restored to proper working condition.

Needless to say the problem still happened and now he was getting
numerous blue screens of death, we wiped the OS clean and did a fresh
non restore install and the system was stable. Went to
http://www.usbman.com and got the USB 2.0 drivers and the unit now
functions. But not that great. I installed a Belkin USB 2.0 card and
he now has great USB. But shame on Dell for the crappy way it ships
its systems. And they say the units are tested before they leave the
plant. Sure they are....Ha ha

Elector

Ben Myers

That's pretty lame. I know the Dimension 2400s well. All that is needed is
the proprietary cable that runs from the motherboard to the opening where the
front USB ports are. The cable includes both front panel USB ports. As you've
described the system, the USB assembly is defective.

You have been victimized by some Dell script monkeys. The industry is now full
of know-nothing script monkeys everywhere you turn... Ben Myers

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:46:39 -0500, "metronid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>

>Can I record this conversation was my first remark
>
>In any case he agreed that a repair was needed
>He asked me why I could not just live without one bad USB port
>He said you have 4 others
>
>I replied that I was sold a unit and it did not say that certain items were
>not important
>The manifest listed all items and did not say some were not important
>
>So here is how it goes
>They have to replace the whole MB and the front USB and all the cables and
>another board
>that resides up front some where
>All for a part that costs maybe a few dollars
>
>Why because dell ships the whole mb and all the associated items a 1 unit
>Than they have to pay a tech to take out the old and put in the
>new
>Probably more of a cost than the original unit

metronid

When the tech comes to repair the unit
I will see if he will just do the USB port

I know the risks of rebuilds
I will also remove the additional memory and video capture card
where were installed after the buy

I think it may have taken 15 minutes working slowly to remove the USB port
Then again they said the unit ships out a the MB and all the associated
components
Sounds lame to me

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>

>>Can I record this conversation was my first remark
>>
>>In any case he agreed that a repair was needed
>>He asked me why I could not just live without one bad USB port
>>He said you have 4 others
>>
>>I replied that I was sold a unit and it did not say that certain items
>>were
>>not important
>>The manifest listed all items and did not say some were not important
>>
>>So here is how it goes
>>They have to replace the whole MB and the front USB and all the cables and
>>another board
>>that resides up front some where
>>All for a part that costs maybe a few dollars
>>
>>Why because dell ships the whole mb and all the associated items a 1 unit
>>Than they have to pay a tech to take out the old and put in the
>>new
>>Probably more of a cost than the original unit

metronid

I was away today
Away at work

My wife was home
And a dell Tech came over

I thought they would call the day before

Nice person my wife said
He has to come back for the part for the front USB

She said he replaced a bad port on the back
I show an order for a whole MB was shipped
So he must have replaced the MB
All the ports on the back worked
Unless he saw something that I missed

I just wanted my front USB Port
Evidently Dell is full of it as the front USB is a separate part

My daughter said the unit works OK
Always did in any case

Although she has used 77 gigs of 80 for songs

I still have my Pentium 2 which is now a pentium 3
The one that I built
Running 840MHZ with a 750MHZ slot 1 at a 112mhz bus and with 768MB of ram
XP Professional

> [...]
>>>
>>>In any case he agreed that a repair was needed
>>>He asked me why I could not just live without one bad USB port
>>>He said you have 4 others
>>>
>>>I replied that I was sold a unit and it did not say that certain items
>>>were
>>>not important
>>>The manifest listed all items and did not say some were not important
>>>
>>>So here is how it goes
>>>They have to replace the whole MB and the front USB and all the cables
>>>and
>>>another board
>>>that resides up front some where
>>>All for a part that costs maybe a few dollars
>>>
>>>Why because dell ships the whole mb and all the associated items a 1 unit
>>>Than they have to pay a tech to take out the old and put in the
>>>new
>>>Probably more of a cost than the original unit

Ben Myers

I'll guarantee that the front panel USB ports on the Dimension 2400 (and many
other Dell models) are attached to a proprietary cable, which hooks into the
motherboard, usually between a couple of PCI slots. I've ripped 'em apart, and
put 'em together. Lots of them.

The sane and sensible service procedure would be to replace the USB cable first
(requires careful disassembly of the chassis), then test the front USB ports.
If the front USB ports work, declare victory and put the system back together.
If the front USB ports still do not work, replace the mobo. But then, I put
myself in the sane category. I guess it's better not to be a certified Dell
repair person... Ben Myers

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:46:52 -0500, "metronid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was away today
>Away at work
>
>My wife was home
>And a dell Tech came over
>
>I thought they would call the day before
>

>Nice person my wife said
>He has to come back for the part for the front USB
>
>She said he replaced a bad port on the back
>I show an order for a whole MB was shipped
>So he must have replaced the MB
>All the ports on the back worked
>Unless he saw something that I missed
>

>I just wanted my front USB Port
>Evidently Dell is full of it as the front USB is a separate part
>
>My daughter said the unit works OK
>Always did in any case
>

>Although she has used 77 gigs of 80 for songs
>

>I still have my Pentium 2 which is now a pentium 3
>The one that I built
>Running 840MHZ with a 750MHZ slot 1 at a 112mhz bus and with 768MB of ram
>XP Professional

metronid

Ben I know you are correct
I already checked

I am just being a tard with Dell
They were utterly nasty to me on the phone

I took the part out in 5 minutes and gave them the part number

It connects to the MB with a blue cable

They just feel I need a new MB
Got one now
Did not need it

The tech says he has to get the front USB connector
which is a separate part

It is hard to tell this to so
someone in India making
15 cents per hour

Dell is tring to keep its cost down
I am trying to help them

One technician call for a MB
One return call for the fron USB connector
Cost of items and shipping

This will keep them in line with the 15 cent an hour rate
OH **** they pay standard wages here in the US

Well they can afford it

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll guarantee that the front panel USB ports on the Dimension 2400 (and
> many
> other Dell models) are attached to a proprietary cable, which hooks into
> the
> motherboard, usually between a couple of PCI slots. I've ripped 'em
> apart, and
> put 'em together. Lots of them.
>
> The sane and sensible service procedure would be to replace the USB cable
> first
> (requires careful disassembly of the chassis), then test the front USB
> ports.
> If the front USB ports work, declare victory and put the system back
> together.
> If the front USB ports still do not work, replace the mobo. But then, I
> put
> myself in the sane category. I guess it's better not to be a certified
> Dell
> repair person... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:46:52 -0500, "metronid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I was away today
>>Away at work
>>
>>My wife was home
>>And a dell Tech came over
>>
>>I thought they would call the day before
>>

>>Nice person my wife said
>>He has to come back for the part for the front USB
>>
>>She said he replaced a bad port on the back
>>I show an order for a whole MB was shipped
>>So he must have replaced the MB
>>All the ports on the back worked
>>Unless he saw something that I missed
>>

>>I just wanted my front USB Port
>>Evidently Dell is full of it as the front USB is a separate part
>>
>>My daughter said the unit works OK
>>Always did in any case
>>

>>Although she has used 77 gigs of 80 for songs
>>

>>I still have my Pentium 2 which is now a pentium 3
>>The one that I built
>>Running 840MHZ with a 750MHZ slot 1 at a 112mhz bus and with 768MB of
>>ram
>>XP Professional

Ben Myers

I've had my issues with Dell's in-warranty service. People around here know to
call me when their Dell's go belly up, usually with a hard drive going in a
southerly direction. I almost always succeed in getting most of their data from
the sick hard drive, which I why I get the call, not Dell. Then I request the
parts from Dell. (If the hard drive in your Dell fails under warranty, the
service money will bring a replacement drive, install it, and walk away with
your old hard drive, which may well have recoverable data on it. HPaq is the
same. I haven't had an IBM tech service person show up yet, just IBM spare
parts obtained under warranty, very competently.)

One time, the Dell script monkey in India insisted on scheduling a service call,
even tho I said I would replace the part myself. Dealing with Dell's service
contractor (the experience was awful, so I've conveniently forgotten the name,
but I'll wake up at 4am in a cold sweat and remember) was useless, 'cause they
would not committ to a date and either AM or PM. How in hell can I sit around
waiting for a Dell tech monkey to show up, when I have to go fix clients'
computers myself? Finally, I called Dell back, got to a native speaker of
English with a few smarts, got the part dispatched, and got the service call
cancelled, sort of. The service company called wanting to know when they could
come out. I politely told them to **** off. My client had to wait an extra
week for a completely working computer due to Dell's blundering.

Most of my other experiences with Dell for spare parts have been quite positive,
but you always remember the horror shows. The moral of the story is to request
the parts yourself from Dell, and return the failed part to them, which is part
of the routine for service under warranty.

The real plus about both Dell and Lenovo/IBM computers is that you can download
complete service manuals for just about every computer going back to January 1,
1980, the birthdate of DOS 1.0 according to the gospel of William... Ben Myers

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:59:21 -0500, "metronid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ben I know you are correct
>I already checked
>
>I am just being a tard with Dell
>They were utterly nasty to me on the phone
>
>I took the part out in 5 minutes and gave them the part number
>
>It connects to the MB with a blue cable
>
>They just feel I need a new MB
>Got one now
>Did not need it
>
>The tech says he has to get the front USB connector
>which is a separate part
>
>It is hard to tell this to so
>someone in India making
>15 cents per hour
>
>Dell is tring to keep its cost down
>I am trying to help them
>
>One technician call for a MB
>One return call for the fron USB connector
>Cost of items and shipping
>
>This will keep them in line with the 15 cent an hour rate
>OH **** they pay standard wages here in the US
>
>Well they can afford it

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'll guarantee that the front panel USB ports on the Dimension 2400 (and
>> many
>> other Dell models) are attached to a proprietary cable, which hooks into
>> the
>> motherboard, usually between a couple of PCI slots. I've ripped 'em
>> apart, and
>> put 'em together. Lots of them.
>>
>> The sane and sensible service procedure would be to replace the USB cable
>> first
>> (requires careful disassembly of the chassis), then test the front USB
>> ports.
>> If the front USB ports work, declare victory and put the system back
>> together.
>> If the front USB ports still do not work, replace the mobo. But then, I
>> put
>> myself in the sane category. I guess it's better not to be a certified
>> Dell
>> repair person... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:46:52 -0500, "metronid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I was away today
>>>Away at work
>>>
>>>My wife was home
>>>And a dell Tech came over
>>>
>>>I thought they would call the day before
>>>

>>>Nice person my wife said
>>>He has to come back for the part for the front USB
>>>
>>>She said he replaced a bad port on the back
>>>I show an order for a whole MB was shipped
>>>So he must have replaced the MB
>>>All the ports on the back worked
>>>Unless he saw something that I missed
>>>

>>>I just wanted my front USB Port
>>>Evidently Dell is full of it as the front USB is a separate part
>>>
>>>My daughter said the unit works OK
>>>Always did in any case
>>>

>>>Although she has used 77 gigs of 80 for songs
>>>

>>>I still have my Pentium 2 which is now a pentium 3
>>>The one that I built
>>>Running 840MHZ with a 750MHZ slot 1 at a 112mhz bus and with 768MB of
>>>ram
>>>XP Professional

Elector

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>>
The real plus about both Dell and Lenovo/IBM computers is that you
can download
> complete service manuals for just about every computer going back to
> January 1,
> 1980, the birthdate of DOS 1.0 according to the gospel of William...
> Ben Myers

On the IBM/Lenovo I will say you are absolutely correct. Purchased 4
IBM G-41 Laptops and they are running perfectly. Have automatic
updates via their software installer program. And actually keep you up
to date on drivers and BIOS updates and the like. Much superior to
the old HP Laptop I used.

Elector

mc

So I'm curious, where are the original Packard Bell group of people that
came from IBM???
mc

Hewlett Packard News: Indian village proud after double "honor killing" The Humanitarian HP 0 05-21-2008 09:29 PM
Proud new owner.... Steve Evans ATI 12 12-02-2004 08:40 AM
Re: BEING A NEO NAZI: makes me proud Gluteus Maximus Laptops 4 08-04-2004 04:42 PM
Proud owner of asus v9520 magic /t FX 5200 ! Skybuck Flying Nvidia 0 05-12-2004 10:12 AM
NVIDIA is one of the proud sponsors of this great event in January! Husker Nvidia 0 12-05-2003 03:06 AM